How to price an old Gravely - C12? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
NatRuns
Gravely C12 for sale

MTF Member # 44672
Default How to price an old Gravely - C12?

I inherited a smooth running Gravely Commercial 12 from my Grandfather who used it on his 12-acre "Chestnut Valley Ranch" in SC.

I've had a great time over the past few hours reading threads and learning about the culture of the tractor forum. I've seen some very interesting posts (for example: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=119561) about pricing and sales.

I'd like to sell my rig, and list it in the correct forum, but I want to ask a price that is reasonable for me and the buyer. Any suggestions on references for pricing? I actually love to remodel houses and have a great time trying on new power tools, but I'm not up on the tractor market. I'm pregnant with my first child and moving to a much smaller place so I won't need all this tractor (as much as I love the "nostalgia" of keeping it in the family!).

Thanks in advance.

PS, do people ever record video/sound to post also? Seems like someone from away would want to hear the engine before they come calling.

What I have...
Commercial 12, Kohler 301S, SPCC#47459, with sulky
+ Rotary Cultivator
+ 48" Snow Dozer, and tire chains
+ 40" Mower
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C12inMaine_post1.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	105241  
NatRuns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
BlownL67
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 15892
Default Re: How to price an old Gravely - C12?

Check your private messages or email me BlownL67@comcast.net

Thanks - Mark

Last edited by BlownL67; 05-19-2010 at 01:30 PM.
BlownL67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
NBS
Banned

MTF Member # 33656

Is the Gravely physically down in South Carolina, or up in Maine?

Depending on the market, and the urgency with which you want to unload the tractor, look for about:

$400 for the tractor itself [very high end would be about $500]
$75 for the snow-plow blade [high = $100]
$125 for the rotary cultivator [high = $175]
$??? for the 40" Mower [I don't know 40" prices - maybe around $175 to $225?]

So I'd say low end: $775
High end: $1000

If you were willing to wait it out for six to nine months, then you could list it [and list it, and list it, and list it] at the high-end prices, and see whether you got any feelers within your market, but things move much more quickly if they are "priced-to-sell".

PS: If you are a young pregnant woman, who is often home alone, then I would NOT give any indication of my address or my name or my home phone number when I advertised it on Craigslist [and remember that many email addresses will give away your identity, unless you use a completely fake email address which bears no resemblance to your true identity; also remember that street addresses can be found using "reverse phone number" look-ups at internet search engines].

If it were me, I'd let my husband/baby-daddy handle all the contact with the outside world.

There are an awful lot of creeps out there who don't need to know your home address or the particulars of your situation.

Last edited by NBS; 05-19-2010 at 03:57 PM.
NBS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
bluegoose

MTF Member # 23010

The Comm 12's are good machines - yours leaves a little to be desired cosmetically, but nonetheless, the K301 engines are rock solid. The 5000 series tractors that followed the Commercial series machines are generally considered to be the best Kohler powered walk-behind tractors Gravely made.

The snow blade's really not worth much; the quick hitch cultivator and the 40" commercial mowing deck are. Figure roughly $150 each for those two attachments and credit yourself $350-400 for the tractor itself. So if you're able to sell the equipment for $700 or so you've done well - IMO.

That said, it's still a buyer's market out there (though it appears that sellers are finally starting to do better). So my recommendation - and it's only that - would be to price your equipment at around $600 or so and see what nibbles you receive. That is, if you're comfortable with that price and prefer to sell the equipment sooner than later, w/o giving it away.

Best of luck - with the tractor/attachments and the little one!
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
schmism
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 16741

only thing i have to add to the above is the running condition.

if it starts easy and runs well then expect the prices above.

if it starts hard, and smokes expect to take $100 or so off the tractor price worse if it doesnt run at all at which point expect half as much for the tractor (implement prices stay the same)
schmism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Dunbarmule
Banned

MTF Member # 38124

It seems schmism didn't need to speculate about if this Comm 12 "doesnt run at all". Presume the Gravely is in ME? Would like to see the 40" mower, rectangular commercial 40 decks in good shape are sought after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatRuns View Post
I inherited a smooth running Gravely Commercial 12

do people ever record video/sound to post also? Seems like someone from away would want to hear the engine before they come calling.

Commercial 12, Kohler 301S, SPCC#47459, with sulky
+ Rotary Cultivator
+ 48" Snow Dozer, and tire chains
+ 40" Mower
Be aware that "an awful lot of (us old Gravely) creeps" who are responsible for the vast majority of replies to Gravely ads, are Horse Traders, of the Buy Low/Sell High type. Your rig is worth more to a harder to find End User, than to those eager to 'flip it' for a quick buck. If you learned anything "about the culture of the tractor forum" you surely know about 'Gravely Fever'? It can work both ways, some deep pockets focused on what they need, but more Low Ball hoarders who need to hide another surplus Gravely from the wife. Then there's the clueless, expecting a zero turn/hydrostatic. Needless to say the higher the asking price-the slower the sale is likely to be. Also individual item prices total higher than a package price for the entire lot. Sold a chain drive cultivator like yours I'd repaired for $250, a faded/worn 40" mower for $175 & a Quick Hitch to run them for $100 this Spring.

A "smooth running" Comm 12 w/dual wheels........................$500-$750
Gravely sulky............................................. .....................$75-$100
Quick Hitch Rotary Cultivator w/QH....................................$225-$275
48" counter weighted Snow Dozer + chains.........................$125-$150
40" Mower (presume a kidney bean shape QH?)....................$175-$200

Estimate Totals............................................ ...............$1100-$1475

My thinking, depending on condition, is more optimistic. The "Chestnut Valley Ranch" Gravely package may deserve an asking price of $1500 & probably not be negotiated below $1000. If eager for a quick sale perhaps ask $1250 & be willing to haggle down to $800.
Dunbarmule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
NBS
Banned

MTF Member # 33656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbarmule View Post
The "Chestnut Valley Ranch" Gravely package may deserve an asking price of $1500 & probably not be negotiated below $1000. If eager for a quick sale perhaps ask $1250 & be willing to haggle down to $800.
Memo to self: Dunbarmule drives a hard bargain...
NBS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
BlownL67

MTF Member # 15892

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBS View Post
Sure does!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
Dunbarmule
Banned

MTF Member # 38124

NBS didn't appear to value nuggets like sulky, dual wheels, hard to find counter weighted snowdozer, chain drive cultivator, or assumed Quick Hitch, but still came up w/"low end: $775 High end: $1000" for the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBS View Post
$400 for the tractor itself [very high end would be about $500]
$75 for the snow-plow blade [high = $100]
$125 for the rotary cultivator [high = $175]
$??? for the 40" Mower [I don't know 40" prices - maybe around $175 to $225?]

So I'd say low end: $775
High end: $1000

DunbarMule valued the sulky, dual wheels, Quick Hitch, etc & suggested ranges for BOTH, "more optimistic...asking prices" & realistic selling prices, reflecting the custom of offer & compromise, as well as unknown conditions. The bottom of my ranges: Hold Out "not be negotiated below $1000" & Blow Out "be willing to haggle down to $800" are essentially the same 2 "hard bargain" figures NBS posted.

If the Soon To Be 1st Time Mom can wait in hope of doing better selling her Grandfather's Gravely rig, good for her. If in need of quick cash cash, she has a baseline to judge how much to sacrifice. My intent was also to place a ceiling on expectations. Made my opinions clear, that to approach $1500 requires selling items individually & at top prices. Forgive me for passing along a little advice on haggling, to help NatRuns negotiate "the outside world" more confidently. I always welcome & encourage women entering in male dominated activities, regardless of "the particulars of (her) situation".

Memo to self: NBS discourages women from participating in "the culture of the tractor forum". Let "husband/baby-daddy handle all the contact with the outside world" or else "an awful lot of creeps" can get you, struck me as a "hard bargain". Sorry, but it reminds me of burkas & denying women the right to drive.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
gm1276
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 26660

Just throwing my 5 cents in, there's two types of Gravely buyers and sellers. Guys like us, and people who just use the tractors or inherit them, etc. Essentially, uninformed buyers/sellers and informed buyers/sellers. Disagree if you like, but I feel as though no one but a Gravely "expert" could expect to get top value for things like dual wheel spacers, plow weights, geared wheels, or any other "nuggets" that may be included in a package. If NatRuns is willing to wait for a (long) time and sell things individually, she will probably be able to get prices like 3banger suggested, but if she'd like to move the stuff quickly I'd recommend looking for a fair price and going from there. I'd probably offer around 4 or 5 hundred for that package - but perhaps I could be persuaded to go a bit higher.
gm1276 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
NatRuns
Gravely C12 for sale

MTF Member # 44672

Thank you for your thorough replies! (The tractor is in Maine.)

Some things Iíve learned here:
Most importantly ballpark prices for the various pieces. Thank you so much!

There are optimistic and pessimistic folks, so unless the machine is readily available for personal testing (which limits the market), there are potentially a lot of unknowns to be considered and reasonably compensated for.

Unknowns include things such as
* specialty features that may be unique to your model; yes, I guess that extra part is a quick hitch for the cultivator, but not for the mower. I love how the dozer works because of the counter weighting.
* consider appearance Ė like an antique piece of furniture, refinishing may look like a cover-up if done improperly, but first impressions also make a difference
* consider and advertise very clearly on condition Ė rust is one thing, but any nuances that may be known (again, back to previous points, unless I am an Ďexpertí user, Iím not likely to know all the potential issues, and thus optimism/pessimism and accessibility for testing weighs in)

Finally, I also appreciate both perspectives on me negotiating the sale online (with the outside world). While I may or may not have a boyfriend or husband willing or able to effectively negotiate a deal with my tractor, I am likely to do it myself because thatís half the fun of living. Meanwhile, I do very much appreciate being reminded that the internet is an easy place to become over-optimistic and trusting that others are as sane and reasonable as myself. I donít meet many creeps in real life (I guess social context keeps us with like kinds); however, the internet doesnít filter in the same way friends and eye contact do.

For the record, some of the nuances on this tractor of which I am aware: the engine runs well (yes, my dad and boyfriend confirmed this for me) and doesnít smoke. I just had the engine head machined ($100) to re-build the spark plug area, so that is now a permanent fix (it previously had a helacoil job that broke loose). I also know that there is one slack takeup pulley on the mower (the bearings are missing on one of the wheels the belt is on); otherwise, the blades are sharp though a bit rusty. In the time I've had it up here in Maine (couple years), I've had the carburetor repaired ($25), replaced the transmission oil, emptied and cleaned the gas tank this season, and greased a few joints. It runs (I am always surprised at how quiet the engine is compared to my neighborsí push mowers) and the gears work.

As for the sale, I have one interested buyer from this forum, and another (prior to my post I had contacted the person from whom Iím bought the snow dozer) who might be also. However, I believe an unspoken rule of sale that wasnít mentioned is whether I then post back here what I actually sell it for Ė as part of the lesson of course

Based on all your input, Iíd like to get $700 sight unseen, but in the interest of moving it so I can move myself easier, Iíll shoot for $600. Iím glad if someone can polish her up and make a bit more for the process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cultivator_smallpic.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	105626   Click image for larger version

Name:	mowerclosed.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	105627   Click image for larger version

Name:	sulky_smallpic.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	105628  

Last edited by NatRuns; 05-21-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #12
Dunbarmule
Banned

MTF Member # 38124

Can just make out the excellent/little worn condition of the chain drive cultivator's tines. You have the better/heavy duty Quick Hitch & apparently all the special hardware. You have not just a sulky, but a much harder to find, steering sulky. You do have the rugged & "sought after" Commercial 40" deck, not the homeowner QH 'kidney' 40. You didn't mention it, but did Grandpa leave you a fistful of Gravely manuals?

If I didn't have a pair of 5665 Gravelys & a bunch of attachments & if it weren't such a long trip, I'd give $700 for your Gravely rig in a heart beat. Want another Commercial 40" deck, if yours was within a 2 hour drive, it still looks worth $200 to me. Easy fix & well worth fixing. Currently stuck w/2 of the TOY 'kidney' 40's.

Best of luck moving, momming & making someone else "glad" to own Grandpa's Gravely rig. Applaud your attitude: "I am likely to do it myself because that’s half the fun of living." & concern about "whether I then post back here what I actually sell it for".

Allow me to offer my opinion. There's an undeniable quirk of 'Gravely Fever' that's appears like a mix of Fish Stories & poker. The net effect is that figures can get stretched or shrunk, AND some play close to the chest, shying away from mentioning figures. IMO "like to get $700...shoot for $600" should mean its sold tomorrow, nobody who knows Gravely is walking away. No need to feel obligated here. Thanks for sharing "half the fun".
Old 05-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #13
Fla Don
Gravely bug bit.

MTF Member # 33720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbarmule View Post
Can just make out the excellent/little worn condition of the chain drive cultivator's tines. You have the better/heavy duty Quick Hitch & apparently all the special hardware. You have not just a sulky, but a much harder to find, steering sulky. You do have the rugged & "sought after" Commercial 40" deck, not the homeowner QH 'kidney' 40. You didn't mention it, but did Grandpa leave you a fistful of Gravely manuals?

If I didn't have a pair of 5665 Gravelys & a bunch of attachments & if it weren't such a long trip, I'd give $700 for your Gravely rig in a heart beat. Want another Commercial 40" deck, if yours was within a 2 hour drive, it still looks worth $200 to me. Easy fix & well worth fixing. Currently stuck w/2 of the TOY 'kidney' 40's.

Best of luck moving, momming & making someone else "glad" to own Grandpa's Gravely rig. Applaud your attitude: "I am likely to do it myself because thatís half the fun of living." & concern about "whether I then post back here what I actually sell it for".

Allow me to offer my opinion. There's an undeniable quirk of 'Gravely Fever' that's appears like a mix of Fish Stories & poker. The net effect is that figures can get stretched or shrunk, AND some play close to the chest, shying away from mentioning figures. IMO "like to get $700...shoot for $600" should mean its sold tomorrow, nobody who knows Gravely is walking away. No need to feel obligated here. Thanks for sharing "half the fun".
I agree. Distance is the only killer for me. Long trip up USeless 1 to get there.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
NatRuns
Gravely C12 for sale

MTF Member # 44672

FYI, I just posted the tractor here on MyTractorForum for $800, with pickup in Maine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
BlownL67

MTF Member # 15892

PM sent Nat. Lets wrap this up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.