John Deere 1010 sticks in gear - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-06-2010, 11:48 PM   post #1 of 4
Maine JD1010
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 40755
Question John Deere 1010 sticks in gear

I have a 1964 John Deere 1010 gas tractor with the typical 5 forward speeds and one reverse gear. This machine starts immediately, even when it's zero degrees out, and runs strong. The problem is (one of many): when the engine/transmission are cold, the tractor shifts just fine from gear to gear, either with the engine on or off. After I use the tractor for a while (primarily dragging logs or pulling trailers around the farm, but also just driving it) and it warms up, I have tremendous trouble getting it out of gear and into neutral, and then I have a very difficult time getting it back into gear. Often I can't get it in or out of gear without shutting off the engine. Once I shut off the engine, it goes in and out of gear with no trouble. Then I start the engine back up and resume my work, until I need to shift again. It seems like the clutch works fine when the engine is cold. I have changed out the transmission and final drive fluids with no improvement. Any suggestions?
Maine JD1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 PM   post #2 of 4
jd110
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6718
Default Re: John Deere 1010 sticks in gear

Sounds like a definite clutch dragging problem. Could be a warped pressure plate or clutch disc that gets worse when heated up. How much free travel do you have in the clutch pedal? Too much free travel can make this worse. You should have about 1 inch.
jd110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 PM   post #3 of 4
Maine JD1010
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 40755

Thanks for the advice! I'll check my freeplay. I think the problem is more sinister than that, as you indicate. I am not looking forward to breaking my tractor in half to get at the clutch, or paying someone else to do it. I got what I thought was a good deal on this old machine when I bought it a year and a half ago, but didn't run it long enough when I test drove it for any of its problems to appear. One problem that may be related is that the PTO shaft turns when not engaged, though at a lower speed than when engaged. The descripton in the JD repair manual for how to adjust that does not apply to my tractor, so I am at a loss.
Maine JD1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 PM   post #4 of 4
jdemaris
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine JD1010 View Post
I have a 1964 John Deere 1010 gas tractor with the typical 5 forward speeds and one reverse gear. This machine starts immediately, even when it's zero degrees out, and runs
Sounds like you've either got oil on the clutch disk, or a bad/dried out pilot bearing. If a bad pilot bearing though, it should be making some noise whenever you push the clutch in - with the trans in gear.

I've always had a certain fondness for 1010s. Maybe because so many people hate them? I suspect that someday, they've be very collectible Deeres because they held many "firsts" for Deere Company. First full size Deere engine to use wet sleeves, only Deere engine to use a sleeve deck (1010/2010), first Deere engine to use positive-type valve seals, first diesels to use Roosamaster rotary pumps, and 1010 crawlers were the first to have the power-shift type hydraulic reversers.
jdemaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.