My Tractor Forum banner

John Deere 5425 PTO question

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  kf54830 
#1 ·
I have a John Deere 2008 model 5425 cab tractor that I just bought. I noticed when hooking to my Vermeer 5410 baler the PTO shaft does not turn by hand to allow me to line the splines up and slide the drive train of the baler onto the PTO shaft. Every other tractor we have allows the PTO shaft to turn by hand. Dealer says this is just how the tractor is made, but same makes no sense to me. Anybody else have this issue or know of this issue? Thanks.

#3 ·
Turn the engine off and see if it turns freely. I haven't had that problem with my 5203 but the New Holland 3930 i used to have if the engine was running it wouldn't turn by hand. :thThumbsU

#5 ·
I noticed when hooking to my Vermeer 5410 baler the PTO shaft does not turn by hand to allow me to line the splines up and slide the drive train of the baler onto the PTO shaft. Thanks.
Most ind pto tractors have a brake on the pto.If one shuts tractor off(safest way to hook/unhook an implement pto) then normally brake will release because of lack of hyd pressure.

My JD 467 rd baler has a coupler on the pto shaft that allows one to rotate pto about 10 degrees to align splines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.