My Tractor Forum banner

Snowblower For Gravely Servicing???

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DJ in WV 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up an MA210 snowblower for a Model L Super Convertible Gravely walk behind that has only been used to plow. I was told it was stored in a barn and has some grass and a little gravel in the impeller but I got most of it out. It spins by hand but it does take quite a bit of force. The auger has been adjusted as it was touching the housing and not moving now that too moves with some force with my foot.

I covered a lot of the moving parts with oil but I couldn't find any grease nipples. I want to service it properly. I was wondering how I could change the oil? As well as any other ways to service it to make sure its running properly for winter. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There are no grease fittings on your model of MA210. You can change the oil in the gear box though. Remove the bottom plug and tip up the snow blower to drain the oil. Then refill through the top plug with 90W.

#3 ·
:Welcome1:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on grabbing a blower. It looks very good.

The only thing that I can add is lubing the splines on the drive shaft and in the coupler behind the auger gear box. Mine shows some wear after never being lubed.

#4 ·
I would use GL4 gear oil, not GL5.

#5 ·
One other thing to check is the large nut that is holding the slip clutch on the blower. That nut actually adjusts bearing play in the auger shaft. If you tighten that really hard you're just pressing those tapered roller bearings tighter together and eventually they stop moving... ask me how I know!:banghead3 It should be snug but not to the point where it stops moving.

You should remove that slip clutch anyway and service that as well. That will give you a chance to see the condition of the roller bearing underneath it. Ask us if non of this makes sense and we'll walk you through it.

Nate

#6 ·
Thank you everyone for the great tips and info! I do have one concern if i spin the clutch it turns the impeller and the auger, but i can hold the auger while someone else spins the clutch it wont mover.. also if i just spin the auger it will not turn the impeller.. is there a problem with the gear??

thanks for the Help guys!

#7 ·
It could be a problem with the gearbox, but I would say that it's much more likely that the reel clutch is worn out or need tightened up.

If you don't have it already, the manuals for this and lots and lots of other Gravely goodies are available for free download over at http://www.oldgravelys.net. The clutch adjustment is outlined in the manual rather well. I'd start there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.