My Tractor Forum banner

Echo vs Stihl trimmers

65K views 35 replies 33 participants last post by  nra1ifer 
#1 ·
which brand has the better split shaft string trimmer? i have about 2 acres of rough land to maintain--grass, weeds ,saplings, etc. i am looking at these models: Echo PAS-230, PAS-265 Stihl KM90R, KM110R, KM130R
any suggestions would be appreciated.

#3 ·
:Welcome1:

I, unfortunately, cannot help you answer your question. I haven't used any of the models you listed. The only Stihl trimmer that I have used was one week ago and it was an FS-95. That was a decent trimmer but that is the extent of my experience.

Anyway, welcome to the forums. I am sure that you will receive some opinions soon.

When you have the opportunity, stop by the introductions forum and drop a note introducing yourself.

Enjoy.

#4 ·
I purchased a KM90R a few weeks ago with a few of the attachments (straight shaft trimmer, curved edger and pruning saw). Big improvement over the old Craftsman trimmer and Troy-Bilt edger I was using. No experiance with Echo, so I can't compare the two - but so far the Stihl has been outstanding. I plan on picking up the cultivator attachement this weekend.

#5 ·
I currently have Stihl chainsaw, trimmer, and clippers. They are excellent and do a great job. I have never had a bit of trouble with any of them. Dont think you would ever be displeased with a Stihl. I have used an Echo trimmer ( have not owned one ) for a brief time and it simply did not compare with the Stihl.

#6 ·
I am under the impression that echo is better than stihl for trimmers. A local campground goes to the echo dealer for trimmers and buys there chainsaws at the stihl dealer.

So I would assume there is a reason that they don't go all stihl!

Jser

#9 ·
Own both brands and have to say that the Echo's are more finicky whereas the Stihl's all run excellent every time I start them.
I do have a SRM2100 split shaft trimmer and have had it for 9 years with no issues other than having to clean the mufler and carb this year (was low on power). It runs VG now. I have an edger, pro-paddle and polesaw attachment.
When and if I need to replace it I will go with another Echo power head as i would not want to have an incompatable tool. I would go with the most powerful model if running many different attachments.

MU

#11 ·
Have an echo SRM2100 like munderhill and a stihl chainsaw. The echo trimmer is about 15 years old and the stihl 19. Both run very good. I had some issue with the echo running rough but ironically, once I changed to stihl 2 cycle oil, it runs better and idles good. Around here, the pro's use both so I don't think you can go wrong.

#12 ·
I think the original poster has gotten some very good input here. Personally, I've always had better luck with Echo than Stihl (chainsaws and trimmers), but that just goes to show that different people can have different experiences.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is dealer support. The proximity of the dealer, and how reliable they are for repair work, or even just advice, should be factored in the decision as well.

#13 ·
I've not personally run either brands trimmer but I've used lots of there other products. I find that echo 21.2cc products to be a touch louder than the stihls. The lawn crew at work runs stihl fs 80 & 90s. They make a very distinctive chugging chatter. Its not loud but its not exactly a mechanical symphony either. I much prefer the sound of my shindy.

I don't think either one is a bad choice. I would use whichever dealer offered the best service/amenities. I've started buying echo products because the dealer is 1/2 mile away and operated by fair honest people. I think the stihls will be slightly more expensive but give slightly longer service life. You'll be hard pressed to wear out either one in normal residential use.

#14 ·
My dad had an Echo and loved it till he passed away. I currently have a Sthil FS90r 4mix 4 stroke and I love it. Fires right up even after winter and I never need to use max throttle. I also love the sound it makes.. totally unlike a 2 stroke, sounds like a mini hotrod the way it burbles away when idling.

#15 ·
Let me throw a crow bar in the fan blade. Im done with Stihl. We have three stihl products and 1 is excellent, another is half decent, and the last one is a total lemon. I will never buy another. We also own Echo and Shindiawa and both are better imo. The dealer has washed his hands also on the lemon. Im so mad about it I cant tell you.

Shindiawa is the best imo. Echo is also very good.

I know this is probably not representitve of the the entire brand but its my experience. I will never ever buy another Stihl product. If they had worked with me on my lemon blower it would have been different.
'
Its probably a fluke but the way things were handled have really made my opinion strong. I have friends that have had nothing but good luck with Stihl.

#16 ·
You wont go wrong with either. I have a Stihl FS-200 brush cutter, and a Stihl blower. The FS-200 has done some very hard work, starts first time every time and runs perfect. My dad has an echo trimmer which seems a little more 'finicky' to start, but runs very well also. The same goes for my echo chainsaw, can be a little harder to start but once its running I think it revs better than the stihls I have. I find using synthetic oil in the 2 strokes in general makes them run a lot cleaner.

Both are a great product and I see professionals around here using both.

#17 ·
I've had my Echo SRM-210 for 3 years, and couldn't be happier.

Each mowing session, the Echo does a ton of trimming around my property - along with EDGING 500+ feet of curb line. I've also used it to clear some heavy areas of brush with much success. On average I'll need to respool 2 times per session.

I believe I paid around $200 at HD, and IMO it's the best bang for the buck.

#18 ·
Personally, I prefer the Echo trimmer. I have owned and used both Echo and Stihl products and I have found that the Stihl may be built a bit better, the Echo engines tend to run better with less problems. I suppose that years of dealing with a Stihl chainsaw that would never run as well as it should and suffered from vapor lock when hot with no solution ever from any of the many Stihl mechanics taints my views a bit but rightfully so and I would recommend Husqvarna chainsaws over Stihl based on my experiences (although I have an Echo CS-400 that does a decent job for what it cost).

I currently have a PAS-265 with the trimmer, thatcher, edger, cultivator and broom attachments. I really like the PAS-265 power head.

Regards,

Rich

#19 ·
I am looking at the same purchase, from what I have been told is that Echo has a 5 year warrenty and Stihl a 1 year. Stihl is also not as loud as the Echo. Again, let me state that, this is what the guys on the grounds crew are telling me. My current Echo trimmer is 24 years old, and I used up till last weekend, 5 acres trees and fenced.
Pickled Pike

#20 ·
I own a Echo srm 210. I bought last year. Great trimmer. im very happy with it. I use it alot too and it always starts right up. All the landscapers use them around here.

Some guys use stihls around here too. Most landscapers i know and ive asked about them prefer echo.

You also have to look at how good your local dealer is and replacement parts too. Stihl parts can be expensive!

#21 ·
I've got the big dude from Echo. An SRM-340 set up for brush. It's just as quiet as the newer Stihls, whereas the smaller, newer Echo's like the 210 are louder, but easier to maintain with less to remove to access parts. I've limited use with Stihl, but have worked on/repaired both, and Echo comes up on top for ease. It all comes down to a "final deal", and how they fit you in terms of user comfort. I'm sure each dealer would demo a specifc model for you before plunking down your $$.

#22 ·
well i was once a dealer and echo has been my fav I think alot of there company they still hold down emmisions and only have 2cycl. I run them all I will stick to echo

#23 ·
My opinion may not count for much since I'm new here, but I'll give it anyway.

In 4 years of working on the grounds crew for the university I attended, we used trimmers from both companies. Neither stood out as running better or lasting longer during my time there. The biggest difference for me was that the echo was leaps and bounds better when it came to user comfort. I don't know why, but the stihls just never felt "right". But thats just me, you might be just the opposite.

Nathan

#24 ·
Well, we sell ECHO now where I work, and they USED to sell stihl along side ECHO...but that arrangement ended some years back. Too many problems with Stihl equipment, upset customers, long waits for parts, repairs are excessively expensive, etc..

I love my 1 year old SRM-210, and my 6 year old CS-520 echo saw.

IVe found, having been repairing handheld equipment professionally for over 5 years now, that Stihl is the hyped up brand in the small engine world. It's like Lexus...people who spend big $$ on them of course are going to say they are the best ever...but the people that work on them know better.

Stihl saws are heavy, overly complicated, difficult to repair, and have "special" parts you can only get from a dealer, like accordian fuel lines, grommets, filters, etc. The air filtration sucks.

The trimmers are odd, they have a tinny rattle sound to them, are pretty loud, melted plastics are common, the hardware is TORX headed bolts...so when the heads inevitably strip...you are SOL. The feel to them is harsh.

Echo designed products are more durable on the outside, and inside. They dont come in all beat to **** and broken up like the stihls seem to...so often.

Echo offers a great, simple, yet durable split book design...pull the tab up, turn the knob and it slides off.

Furthermore, you arent going to beat ECHO air filtration, on any equipment, bar none.

#25 ·
I recently bought a Stihl fs55 trimmer after looking at Echo and Red Max. The dealer was pushing the Red Max and said The largest landscaping company in WI uses Red Max exclusively. I ended up going with Stihl because of the price and quality and because I had never heard of Red Max. The Stihl was also cheaper than the comparable Echo srm-230 from Home Depot. IMO, they are all good and very similar in quality.

#26 ·
i used a stihl-it felt too cheap to me and it didnt have much power,the spool was a nightmare and the fuel cap was hard to get on. i used a ********...looking for a place to TNT it,used a echo...im hooked im going to get there water pump there meadium sized starait shaft trimmer and there tiller.i used my teachers that was going on 10 years old....i regret thinking a ******** would out torque a echo, i was so wrong when i tryed to prove it the ******** quit and the echo ended up doing the crapsmans job without a prob.i also have a lawnboy/ryn im working on but when i run it off 2 cycle gas i put in the carb it really kicks sideways from the torque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.