My Tractor Forum banner

B&S Intek Problems Starting

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  docdave78 
#1 ·
I have a B&S 19hp Model 406777 0136E1 971024Y6 Intek engine in a Scotts (John Deere) rider. This mower hasn't been run in a number of years so after getting it to crank (bad starter solenoid) and cleaning the tank, replacing the fuel lines, filter, and rebuilding the carburetor (blew all ports out with carb cleaner and soaked parts) I got it to run and start.

I mowed my yard with it and after sitting and cooling it would not start again, it wouldn't even sound like it was firing over. I removed the bowl on the carburetor and let it drain, with a new charge on the battery it would start up and run.

I checked the plugs and they aren't wet, but i cleaned them with a torch to be safe and reinserted, jumped the battery to my truck to give it a better shot, but it still won't start. I think if I drain the carburetor again and have a fresh charge on the battery it will start again.

Any ideas on what can be causing the carburetor to flood like it is? Its using a Mikuni 4-screw fuel pump and if I remove the line it squirts fuel. Is this a fuel level issue like I've been reading on several other forums?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you sure that the choke is closing fully? Eyeball it carefully. It's an easy thing to overlook.

And, :MTF_wel2:

#3 ·
I can feel and hear hear it close shut. With the breather off I can reach in through the air intake and feel the butterfly valve open and close.

When I tore the carb apart there wasn't a baffle plate (metal plate with scooped outlets) between the carb and header, but there was one in the kit. Should I install this? The carb did have the 1/4" plastic spacer between the carb and the header where would the baffle plate go?

#4 ·
Well I am a little confused about just what is going on. Carb floodling - spark plugs not wet?

IF the engine has a gas line shut off valve, turn it off 15 seconds before shutting the engine down, leave it shut off until ready to restart and see what happens. IF it doesn't have one, add one or clamp the fuel line with a pair of locking pliers.

This engine has a quirky "kill" wiring system. Disconnect the Kill wire at the base of BOTH coils and see if the engine starts.

When the engine stops or you shut it off, you should easily be able to tell if it is getting spark when trying to restart it. Does a shot of gas directly into the carb help?

"wouldn't even sound like it was firing over"

Again, I don't know what you mean. You need to be more explicit in what is going on. Have you ever adjusted the valves?

Either it is firing or it isn't. Either it is turning over or it isn't. "Firing over" is a term I have never hear.

Walt Conner

#5 ·
The plugs weren't dry but they weren't soaked. I could see evidence of moisture on the plugs and I cleaned them to be safe. When I said firing over I meant that the engine didn't sound like it was catching on any cylinder, the engine was cranking, but no ignition.

There is no fuel shut off, but I was thinkin of clamping the fuel line to see if it was getting too much gas. It seems like all the fuel is sitting in the carb.

I'll give it another shot today.

#6 ·
Is it possible that the fuel is boiling out of the float bowl when you try to restart the engine while it is hot? You said it would restart if you dropped the float bowl, replace it, and let it fill normally. Was there fuel in the bowl when you removed it? If the baffle that came in the carb kit would provide a heat shield for the carburetor, maybe you should install it. Some 'baffles' are metal/fibre plates that go between the carburetor and the intake, just like the 1/4" spacer you mentioned. If the holes would line up, that's where I would expect it to fit, but I don't know your specific application.
You could also have an electrical problem related to heat. Sometimes an intermittent internal connection inside ignition components can open up when heated. I'd also check for spark when you have the no start condition.
tom

#8 ·
I did a compression test on the cylinders today, one is 125psi, the other is 110psi.

I also did an inline spark test and the spark looks steady.

I dropped the bowl on the carburetor and it wasn't a continuous stream of fuel like before. I had tried squirting some gas into the carburetor to get it to start and that may have been why I thought it was flooding.

When I tested the anti afterfire solenoid, the plunger wasn't operating like before. I think this was blocking the man jet and preventing the gas from getting into the main body of the carb and into the cylinders. I cleaned the solenoid with carb cleaner and the plunger would move freely.

I installed the solenoid again and the started right up. I'll test it again cold tomorrow after letting it sit overnight.

I would like to replace the solenoid to be safe, but can't find the part number to order one. Does anyone know the part number, the engine is a model 406777 0136E1.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.