My Tractor Forum banner

What are not running riding mowers going for antique, old, and new?

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  s10lowrider1994 
#1 ·
I had offer me a newer style. Say 10 years old or less with a bad kohler courage engine in it that still turns over and rods still connected for $150. Its in nice shape but has a possible bad kohler courage engine in it. This guy also has bunch of old wheelhorse riding mowers. He says wants to get rid of it but then he starts telling what its worth. He also said if doesnt go soon it going in a scrap dumpster. Is he testing the water with me or is trying to get every penny he can for them even though they dont run. He has 2 other newer style rider I want and they both have bad motors too. One's a yard something but not yard man or yard machine with a locked up high performance briggs intek and the other is troy built rider with missing hood, missing seat, and bad briggs v twin on it to.

There's a guy in the city that has sears DYT4000 with a bad kohler 25 v-twin and he wants $400 for it from what I was told.

#6 ·
Scrap value is under $100, maybe under $50. If you need to add an engine, engines go for $100 up. Add a tranny, $75 - 100. Tires, tubes $15 - 20 each. Things add up.
I've seen some Craftsman 'green' LT1000's going for $400 - 500 with either bad motors or bad tranny.
I'm watching 2 1980's vintage, series 200 Wheel Horses, one with a bad motor, one with a bad tranny. They're asking $150 for both, been 3 weeks and not sold yet.
One and 2 year old Craftsmans are being listed for close to or just above what you can buy new ones for. Don't figure.
Exotic models do bring top dollar.

Make a CASH offer. Cold hard cash in hand shows that you're a 'dealer', not just a 'tire kicker'.

#7 ·
Either too many people are fixing them to resell or junk dealers got them and cash them in for scrap reguardless how simple the fix could've been. I'm starting to have to buy non running ones just to keep them from the junk dealers, scrapyards, and local landfill.

#8 ·
Most of the newer dept store tractors are worth their weight in scrap if they dont run. Typically they arent worth much used when running anyway so by the time you buy the broken one and fix it, you could have bought a good running used one and saved yourself the trouble of playing with someone elses headache. On the flip side buying them for parts is a good idea if you always need donors and have space to store them. Some of the higher end models bring decent money, older tractors and antiques are a niche market and very hard to put a price on.

I get far to many for free to ever think about purchasing a blown up tractor though, something about paying money for somebody elses junk rubs me the wrong way.

#9 ·
Frankly I would not pay much for a non running LT. Some of the modern engines, and axles just cant be repaired cheaply. Now when you get up to the GT world thats diferent. Then you have something that has been built to be repaired, and also with be worth more when done. Take a 5-10 year old Lower level, or box store LT.... eaven it great shape its worth what... maybe a grand tops... So you pay a few hunderd for a non runner, and have to dump 5-$600 on it... Well... you better think of keeping it a bit and getting some use out of it.

#10 ·
Yep some garden tractors non running sitting in the bushes for years can be worth quite a good sum for their parts like 3pts,PTO add,no longer available items add ons etc.Before putting a wrench (or $$$) on a non runner check to see what the runners in that model are selling for.

#11 ·
The value of a non-running tractor is largely determined by what brand it is and what engine it has. For example, any tractor with a Kohler Magnum 16,18, or 20 engine, running or non-running, is autimatically worth about $200 for me because the parts of those engines can be parted out for large $$$ because they are relatively rare. I generally base the most value on what engine a tractor has more than the rest of the tractor.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.