My Tractor Forum banner

New to Me Sears Suburban 725!

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kwwolfe 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Found an opportunity I just could not pass up. I have been wondering about trying to restore my first tractor. Well, ask and you shall receive. A friend that I work with has been passes by a salvage yard on his way home from work. The other day he happended to see this tractor sitting outside on a trailer and decided that he could not let to get scrapped. After I told him that I was looking to try a restoration, he told me that he would give this tractor to me for what he paid for it. $100 later and it is home. It is a 1964 Sears Suburban 725 (7.25hp). Has original tires and wheel weights, as well as part of the original 3pt hitch. The only think it is missing is the right side belt cover. If I can't find one, I will try and fab one up eventually.

Since I don't have any manuals for this, and given its age, any help/information/pictures/manuals you all might have would really help me out. Enjoy the pictures! I also included one of what it looked like new in the catalog.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice to see the old iron get some tlc in their twilight years. Should be a fine looking machine when it's done. Careful the Deere dosen't get jealous what with the Sears gettin all the attention.

#5 ·
Deere nothin. It will be my wife that gets jealous. I have not attempted to start it yet. They engine seems to have very good compression when you turn it by hand. The pulleys have a good amount of surface rust on them. I am going to take a wire wheel and penetrating oil the them first to see what I can free up. Then I will check the engine oil, replace, and try to fire it up.

I have heard that these things can pull like mules with only 7HP. Can't wait to find out. Could really use a repair manual though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.