My Tractor Forum banner

Any reason I couldn't put bigger tires on X340?

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Mach-1 
#1 ·
After looking at some X500 series I really like the beefier tires and the knobby tread. Considering my X340 and the 500 are basically on the same frame and tractor body is there any reason why I couldn't go to a 24 inch back tire and up to the 16.5 on the front like the 500???

Now some will say why not just buy a 500 series. Well I don't really need the extra features and liquid cooled ect ect. Don't really need a heavier tranny either. But I do like the larger tires. Might be a little better for crossing a few rough spots on my property. And that knobby ATV like rear tire on them would be great for better traction up a slope I have on my land. I'm just wondering how it will effect my deck height. The tractor will set taller I would think so my deck setting will be off. I normally mow at 3 inches so I guess I could drop it to 2.75 to compensate??

#4 ·
It's got the 25hp Kawasaki so power isn't a issue.

The rear is fine for now. There 22x11 I think. But I'd rather habe the 16.5 on the front. Would I notice the front being taller going from 15.5 to 16.5?? Don't wanna get everything out of whack

#6 ·
The transmission manufacturer lists the max tire size as 23" http://www.tufftorq.com/?page_id=141 for whatever that would mean to you. Not sure that you could tell the difference between a 22 and a 23" tire if you kept the same rims. There should be lots of ATV tires in both sizes. Will a 24" tire hurt the transmission, I doubt it... Send an email to Miller Tire, mention MTF and see what they can do for you.

#7 ·
It's a K58 tranny. Mowing and pulling a 2 wheel cart sometimes with a light load. I may just stay at 22 rear with a more aggressive tread. But I want to go to a 16 inch front tire like the 500s. Just not sure if it will affect the stance of the tractor. I don't want the front sitting up higher than the rear or having a " raked" stance

#8 ·
If you change one tire size or the other (front or rear) I'd still relevel the deck after you put the new tires on because the front and rear height of the deck are supposed to be different. I'm not sure most people would notice the difference in stance, maybe put the front of your X340 up on some 1/2" thick boards and see if it feels weird.

#9 ·
I agree that you may be better served with changing to a more aggressive tires rather than upsizing it. Larger tires lowers the overall gear ratio, it increases speed but reduces torque. It increases stress on the hydro, and makes your brake less effective. You mention about going up a slope, not knowing how steep it is, your tractor will actually has less torque to tackle the hill even if you get better traction. I would not want to chance it with a K58. You weakest link is not your engine, but your hydro.

For the mower deck, you will need to re-level it as front vs. rear now has a half inch difference. You will also need to drop mowing height by 1 inch as your tractor is now a inch higher off the ground in the back, and 0.5 inch higher in the front.

Personally, lawn tractor is form follows function, I would not sacrifice durability and performance for look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.