My Tractor Forum banner

New Holland 1469 Haybine noise

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  orangehyrail 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a diagnosis question today. I bought an old mower conditioner a few years ago and wanted to do some maintenance on it before haying season this year. It is an older (1970's?) self-propelled beast, model 1469. Works great for the most part but my question is about a noise coming from the drive system. This model is pre steering wheel and has two sticks for steering. Push both forward for forward, pull back for reverse, one at a time to turn. I believe it is a hydrostatic drive system (unfortunately I am not very familiar with hydrostatic setups). To engage the drive system you move a power handle that tightens a belt from the engine, then the steering levers will move the machine. However, when the power handle gets the belt turning and gets the hydrostatic drive ready to use, something lets out a terrible screaming from somewhere under the floor of the cab. The machine is comfortably quiet until the drive system gets powered up, then it is just awful.

I am wondering if any of you have experienced this and is it a problem or just how this model works? I'm guessing that if it is a mechanical problem it is likely a bearing going out or maybe lubrication issues inside the hydrostatic gear boxes? Thought I would put the question out there before unbolting anything in case someone had experienced a similar issue. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not familiar with that piece of equipment, but looking through the parts diagrams at the New Holland web site it looks to be a strange beast. It has a separate "transmission" for each drive wheel, and it looks like when you engage the tension on that belt, the input side of each transmission starts spinning, and then there's a clutch pack inside each transmission that transfers the power on through a planetary gear type of setup to the output side of the transmissions, which is the hub that the wheel bolts to. Each of the "transmissions" has a drain plug, so I assume that they are supposed to have some sort of lubrication in them. My guess would be that it would take a UTF that meets or exceeds the Ford/New Holland M2C134D specification, as the planetary gear setup and clutch pack look suspiciously similar to the ones in the Select-O-Speed transmission in my 1973 4000 tractor and that's what kind of fluid my transmission takes. I would bet that the clutch packs are what are making the noise. Perhaps they aren't properly lubricated. It's possible that they're worn down to bare metal on metal though, so be prepared when you do take it apart.

If I were you I would get at least an operators manual, as that should have the routine maintenance information like where and how to change the fluids and where to check the fluid levels. Then make sure that all fluids and filters are changed, and if it's still making the noise then then you're probably going to have to open the transmissions up, in which case you should probably get a service manual. There's at least one each of a service manual and an operators manual on ebay right now for around $25.00 to $27.00 a piece.

Good lick with it, and I would be interested in some pictures.

#3 ·
Thank you so much! That makes sense, the separate transmissions deal. It is a strange machine but I'm glad you made some sense of it from the diagrams. I meant to post a link to the schematics diagrams. Last year I bought the service manual and the parts index, but like a dummy I didn't get the operator's manual. I'll order that and check fluids like you suggested. The service manual is actually very limited but as I recall one of the sections goes over rebuilding the transmissions, so if it comes to that...

I'll try to get some pictures up soon. Thanks again for the advice!

Here's a site I like for the diagrams, for anyone interested.
http://www.messicks.com/NH/83065.aspx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.