My Tractor Forum banner

Digging potatoes

12K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Exto 
#1 ·
Has anyone made a potato digger for their garden tractor? If so, do you have pictures of it? I would love to fab. one for my three point to speed up the digging process. I don't mind digging them by hand but it takes time that I don't seem to have these days. Besides, it would give me another excuse for more seat time.:trink40:

#2 ·
there are 2 types... the subsoiler / middle-buster type, with a wide, flared out blade....

...and then there is the powered one, where a scoop-like front end picks up a 6-8" thick slice of soil - the scoop directs the soil onto a wire-mesh conveyor, where the soil falls through but potatoes stay on... the conveyor carries the potatoes to a following trailer or bucket.... that one needs PTO to run the conveyor

The middle buster is the best and simplest idea. $140 new at TSC.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...10551_10001_34304_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Almost not worth making one!... I'm in the same boat - also for the same reason (to dig up potatoes) - I already have the subsoiler rig from before, so all I need is the middle-buster blade!...

#3 ·
I thought about a middle buster but I thought they wouldn't be wide enough. Guess I'll have to check it out. I saw video of a potato digging attachment on a BCS walk behind tiller. It did a great job but it was wider than a middle buster and it had rods out the back to sift the dirt and expose the potatoes. That would be ideal in my opinion.

#4 ·
yea - I've seen those rod set-ups as well.... that style digger seems to be something old - I have not seen any recent equipment like that... nonetheless, if it works, it works.... THe middlebuster idea is to simply the soil, causing the potatoes to surface, for hand-picking.

I am thinking I'll have to fab something too!

let me know if you get a head-start.... take pics etc...

#18 ·
The local Gravely dealer I use also sells BCS two wheel tillers. He had a rod style potato digger sitting in the showroom. At the time, I couldn't quite figure out what it would be used for, so I asked (I HATE seeing an attachment I can't identify the use for). Strangely enough, the BCS website doesn't show this option, so maybe they discontinued it. As I recall it had a center blade with rods as extensions.

#7 ·
Well, I delivered my FEL over to my brother this evening and he had made a potato digger for his tractor so, I borrowed it. As luck would have it, he just got done digging his taters. This thing is sweet for being built from scrap. Can't wait to try it!:bannana: :bananapow

#9 ·
He'd be very upset if he knew I posted a picture of it. He thinks it's ugly and not very well done. It's a little funky as to how it attaches to the tractor but I say, so what, it works. I think it's worthy of a pic or two. I hope to use it when I get home from breakfast this morning... if it's not raining. I'll see if I can get a shot of it.

#10 ·
Here are a couple of shots to the digger my brother made. His big beef is that he doesn't like the way it mounts and he wants to fix that. I can see it but I say, so what, it works. At least I guess it does. Too wet here to dig taters at the moment.

Personally, I think it looks great!

#13 ·
Just a question. Do you guys and gals dig potatoes by the moon sign? Mine seem to store better if I do. 6 Oct and 14and15 Oct are the next days according the almanac.

#15 ·
I never heard of doing that. My grandfather used to plant by the moon sign but, to my knowledge, he just harvested when ready. I'll have to ask dad if he did that or not. His garden always did exceptionally well. I may have to look into trying that one time to see what happens.

#19 ·
I got to try the digger out a little bit at lunch today. It did ok but, as it turned out, it was way too wet so I gave up until it dries up. Doesn't look like it will any time soon though. We need the rain so I'm not going to complain.

#20 ·
Older Post ....but I thought I would add to it. I had too many potato rows to dig last fall (by hand) and not enough time because of long hours at work. SO I hooked up the PK to the single furrow bottom plow and set it low and keep the Power King in 2 nd at full throttle. I could not believe how good it worked, I was done 11 100ft rows in short time. Hardly ruined any potatoes either. BTW like the potato digger your brother built .... although a bottom plow will work in a jam.:trink39:

#21 ·
Jas, I think it looks like a perfectly good piece of equipment. I'd rather have something not so pretty that was built for function over a pretty tool that does a half a__ job any day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.