My Tractor Forum banner

Me vs. TruGreen- Fimco Sprayer?

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Shack 
#1 ·
Hi guys. Thinking about firing TruGreen and buying a pull behind sprayer. Nice fimco 15 gallon on Craigslist I am looking at. It also comes with a wand. Before I could never justify doing it myself with my walk behind drop spreader and granules. Always seemed to cost just as much. Now I am trying to get more seat time on my 445 and wonder if I can save money and do a good job with concentrate. Here are some particulars. I currently do 4 applications with TruGreen on half of my yard (25k square feet) at $90 an application. I don't water unless it gets too dry, so I am more interested in just keeping the weeds, crabgrass, clover, etc down than the "perfect" deep green lawn. Is 15 gallon too small? If I can save enough I would like to do all 1.5 acres and get the back half looking better. They want $200 for the Fimco which has been barely used. Any chemical Suggestions?

#2 ·
the trick to weed control is timing pre-emergents. They need to go down at the right times to do the job. Contact your local county extension, or ag dept. at the local college for a calendar. Figure about a gallon per 1000 sq. ft. so the 15 gallon would not be big enough, but it's simple enough to refill it and you run less risk of ending up with way too much mixed when you're done. At $200 I'd check the prices of new similar models, you may be able to pick up a new one for very near that price. As for chemicals, I'm sure you have different grass than what I deal with, so I won't recommend anything there. But I will say don't let the price of chemicals scare you away, they are expensive, but a little goes a long way.

#3 ·
Thanks Shack. After some more looking, I found a 35 gallon fimco sprayer for the same price. Then I found a really nice Gandy 36-12 drop spreader for $80 OBO. This looks like a real bargain. Any opinion on drop spreader vs Liquid?

Easier to apply one or the other? Drop seems simpler to keep track of where I have been?

Check out the pics.

[/ATTACH] Vehicle Grass Lawn Outdoor power equipment Plant

#4 ·
I'm using all liquid now for the last several years and using a FIMCO 45 gallon trailer sprayer with the electric pump. slkpk

#5 ·
Having used both I would not go back to drop/broadcast spreader. The cost and the coverage with liquid sprayer is much better.

#6 ·
I have used both. The Scotts Weed and feed worked good if you applied when the grass was wet. But it only kills certain weeds. I stopped using the granulated stuff and have been using sprays ever since. A plus to the sprayer is if it has a spray gun you can also do spot treatments. Also if you are looking for a organic solution (I might be trying it once I get my sprayer built) is compost tea. Easy enough to run thru a sprayer.

#7 ·
I like granulated fertilizer, because it lasts longer, but I've just about decided to switch to liquid due to costs. I use a broadcast spreader, no real experience with a drop spreader to speak of. as for seeing where you've sprayed, you can always add tank dye. just be sure not to get it on you, it's a real bear to get off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.