My Tractor Forum banner

John Deere 301...Help

11K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  jdemaris 
#1 ·
I have had the streering column off several times and have put in the 0-rings that were called for plus have tried other ones that I thought may stop the leak put alas each and every time it still leaks. Does anyone have any suggestions to this problem?

#2 ·
I assume it is leaking around the steering shaft, just below the steering wheel? Have you replaced all six identical orings in the valve bore? Are they damaged each time you replace them? Are you sure you have gotten them in the proper grooves? Did you replace the oring and seal in the adjuster nut just below the steering wheel. When it leaks, does it forcefully blow out the seal? How long do you run it until it leaks?

#3 ·
It is leaking at the guide where it slides into the steering column. It calls for 2 different 0-rings 1 with and 1 without backup ring. Tried both and neither would work. Used number off the steering column (casting) to get 1 0-ring and used the number off of the tractor to get the other 0-ring. I am at a loss.

#4 ·
What the casting number on your steering valve?
This is what I found in PC 1241
RE10800 HOUSING 1 (WITH BALLS) (MARKED R77312) (SUB FOR AT23175, MARKED T25295)

What's the part number of the seals you've replaced? I don't fully understand your statement of "where guide slides into housing"??

#5 ·
The casting number is off of a 300B Loader and Backhoe from what the JD parts man says. I have that same page where you got the numbers from. I also have the page from the 300B (1428) and have used seals from both. I just got a little mirror so that I can hopefully see exactly where it starts leaking from. I believe the guide (26) on the 301 page is what is not sealing. After it builds up pressure it leaks where the column goes on the bell housing or the top of the steering column.

#8 ·
After it builds up pressure it leaks where the column goes on the bell housing or the top of the steering column.
Pressure is not supposed to be able to build up in that pocket. Supposed to have a bleed-off hose there that sends that extra oil to the little reserve oil-tank in front of the radiator.

All those steering valves leak a little oil into the bottom.

You DO have that plastic hose working I assume? Are you sure it isn't kinked somewhere? And I assume you are sure none of the 6 hard o-rings in the housing that seal against the two cartridges aren't damaged?

#7 ·
It is leaking between 0-ring #24 and guide at housing. Which in turn fills up the void at the bell housing below where steering casting bolts on..pressure builds up in void and in turn forces it to leak at gasket #14. I have been told there is supposed to be a certain amount of hydraulic fluid in void. I believe the hydraulic fluid that is in the void is supposed to come down through #22.

#9 ·
I hate to contradict jdemaris because he is usually absolutely correct, but I think he is mistaken on the plastic tube. That is strictly a vent for the reservoir. When the hydraulic pump demands more oil than the trans pump delivers, the extra oil is drawn out of the reservoir and the plastic tube draws air from the transmission case to allow the oil to flow out. The cavity for steering should drain directly into the transmission by way of a drilled passageway in the clutch housing. If there is a buildup of pressure in there, I think the drilled passage must be plugged. If you clean out the cavity, look in the rear part of it for a 1/4" or 5/16" hole. Try running a stiff wire through it to be sure it is open. Actually I have a hard time believing a buildup of pressure in there is causing the leak. I would thing the pressure would blow the seal on the pitman arm shaft on the left side of the tractor before the gasket would blow. Are you sure the steering valve housing is not cracked maybe?

#12 ·
I hate to contradict jdemaris because he is usually absolutely correct, but I think he is mistaken on the plastic tube. That is strictly a vent for the reservoir.
That is not universally true. On the Dubuque/Manheim 1020, 1030, 300, 301, 302, 300B, etc. . . . Deere always used some sort of system to bleed up oil from the bottom of the power steering valves - when it's a closed-center system. Some early machines have open-center steerring a differ a bit.

The way Deere did it varys with machine and serial #. Also varies by option package- with hi low, with reverser, without either, etc. I have two 300s and one 300B and all three have plastic bleed-off lines hooked to the bottom of the closed-center steering valve. Deere used to do the same with the front hydraulic pumps when 2.4 c.i. or bigger.

The little hydraulic reserve tank in front of the radiator has several lines hooked to it, along with a check-ball. It serves several purposes, NOT just one.

I cannot say one way or the other what this person has on his machine. I havebn't seen any photos and often on machines that are 40-plus years old, things get changed over time.

#10 · (Edited)
I will check to see the things you have suggested. The oil that is filling up the cavity is leaking out the large o-ring on the guide. The o-ring seals the oil that is in the valve assembly which pushes the piston for the power steering. The pressure in the cavity is coming from the power steering unit. I assume that is what is making it leak at the gasket that bolts to the bell housing. Thank you both for your assistance and I will get back with my findings.

#14 ·
The oil that is filling up the cavity is leaking out the large o-ring on the guide.
Cavity is supposed to have a bleed-off somewhere.

A few examples in the attached images. Deere calls the plastic lines (when used) "bleed off" lines for a reason.

Attachments

#13 ·
Depends on what you have for a PTO. What do you have?

301 came many ways.

Single engine clutch with transmission driven PTO and no reverser

Single engine clutch with "independent" PTO and no reverser

Double engine clutch with "continuous" PTO and no reverser

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.