My Tractor Forum banner

Slip Clutch for Chipper/Shredder

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  OneTrack 
#1 ·
I could use some advice. I have a BearCat 554 Chipper/Shredder (like this: http://www.bearcatproducts.com/outdoor-equipment/product/148/5 inch PTO Chipper) It is belt driven, and is shipped without a clutch.

However, my PTO shaft is twisted, presumably from jams. So I would like to add a friction-type slip clutch to the PTO shaft. Some relevant data:

Tractor: Kubota BX1860 with 13 HP PTO (1500 in.lb PTO output torque at 540 rpm)
Tractor PTO output: 1-3/8 in. 6-spline, male
Chipper input: dia. 1 in. smooth round shaft with key
PTO Shaft: Metric Series 1

I have spoken to BearCat about this, and they simply say that a clutch is not necessary; they rely on the belt drive to act like a slip clutch.

I have spoken to Weasler Engineering (they make clutches and PTO shafts) and they do not make any clutches with torque settings that low.

I have not been able to find a suitable clutch elsewhere. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Has anyone here put a clutch on a low-torque tractor?

Thanks for the help.

S.

(Yes, I know the tractor is undersized for that chipper/shredder – but it’s all I’ve got.)

See less See more
#2 ·
You say it's a belt-drive on the chipper itself? Is it possible to adjust the belt tension on the unit itself? I'd see first about loosening the belts up just a little so that they'll slip rather than twisting the shaft. Sounds to me like they are too tight anyways if they're allowing it to twist the PTO shaft!!

If it uses a spring loaded idler can you replace the spring or otherwise adjust the spring's tension?

#3 ·
A lighter spring on the belt tensioner isn't a bad idea...

S.

#4 ·
I've owned a number of Brush Bandit chippers, and have never seen any provision for any type of torque relief. Smaller Bandits don't even have a clutch, just direct belt drive. The belts are not considered a slip item, the engine should stall if the machine is overloaded. I think you need a bigger tractor or a smaller chipper.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Thanks wally2q. That's exactly what I need. Now I just have to find one in Canada. I have spoken to TSC here, and they don't carry it. I have spoke to my local Kubota dealer, and they don;t seem to know how to get a similar one... I'll keep digging.

Thanks again!

S.

#7 ·
call a few farm-supply stores. depending on where you live, you may get lucky, and they will carry one. Slip clutches are very common.

I got mine at Swanstons outside of Rockwood (near Guelph)

http://www.swanstons.com/

Now in relation to your twisted drive shaft - you may need to replace it, as it will not telescope properly when retracting and extending during lift and lowering operations (ie Jam and stress the tractor PTO shaft support housing).

#8 ·
Thanks for the link. Yes, I noticed that the twisted drive shaft would not telescope properly. Have a replacement coming. I'll let you know how it all works-out.

S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.