My Tractor Forum banner

trailer gate ramp - help needed

28K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  jakenbake 
#1 ·
i am building a utility trailer from an old boat trailer. I need to make a gate ramp. I'm trying to find a hinge, and i'm not sure what i'm looking for.

i recently saw a trailer whose gate ramp would fold all the way down inside the trailer for easier hauling when empty.

Any ideas on how what type of hinge I would need to get it to fold down all the way inside the tractor?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Mine folds in like you noted ut just has a hinge pin on each side I will try to get a pic for you. my uncle has the same trailer and he modified his to be able to remove the gate for carrying brush and debris so when offf loading crap doesn't get stuck in the gate.

#5 ·
Awesome, i'd really appreciate some up close pictures.

I'd like to be able to remove the gate as well, sometimes it just gets in the way.

#6 ·
ya, i'm just trying to think of where the hinge would go such that it can fold forward but there not be a big gap between the gate and the trailer.

#8 ·
i am building a utility trailer from an old boat trailer. I need to make a gate ramp. I'm trying to find a hinge, and i'm not sure what i'm looking for.

i recently saw a trailer whose gate ramp would fold all the way down inside the trailer for easier hauling when empty.

Any ideas on how what type of hinge I would need to get it to fold down all the way inside the tractor? you mean trailer

Thanks!
I done my gooseneck this way. If you mount the hinges at the top of the rear of the trailer, the gate will fold down to the trailer. You have to mount the hinge part on the gate off center also. Once the gate is lowered to load, the hinges do stick up about half a inch.

Left gate slides to the right to remove, and the right side slides to the left. Once you stand them up, there is clearance to remove either side.

The hinges are a hollow pipe for the trailer/female end and a male/female end for the gate part (the male end on the gate slides into the female end on the trailer, and the female part on the gate makes the clearance for the male end to go to the trailer part. Hope that makes sense.)

#13 ·
wow, thanks for the pics. i like your hinges, very simple and they look sturdy.

For smaller trailers with 3' or 4' gates, I would go one piece IMO.
splitting it is probably more hassle than it is worth, and it sounds like your smaller trailer gate is manageable.

thanks again for the info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.