My Tractor Forum banner

Homemade Cab Project Using Bedframes

13K views 57 replies 34 participants last post by  8086bruce 
#1 ·
I started this thread in the MTD forum, but it's not specific to any make/model so decided it should be here instead.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a hospital-bed off craigslist for free because I thought -- now that looks like it could make a decent snowcab for my White 1650 (990).

I started by cutting the brackets off the frame ends and rails because I want to be able to lift the whole cab off using those handy assemblies. I mounted two of the receiver pieces between the rear fenders, and made brackets for the other two that utilize the front footrest bolts (1 on each side). They're not attached in the picture below, and I changed it a little since taking the pic -- but you can get the idea.

The swinging frame sections are clearly suggestive of cab doors. I also plan for the front windshield to swing up for hood access. Not sure yet if I should split the front pane into 2 sections, or just one big piece. (?)

Big bonus -- it came with two 24v linear actuators (one will later become a chute adjuster), and a strong reversible rotary motor (which seems like it will work great as an electric spout rotator eventually). The actuators are 24v, but I think they will operate on 12v but at reduced speed -- which is fine. In all likelihood I will probably be sticking with the manual controls this season regardless. If I get the cab itself completed I'll be more than satisfied.

I'll follow up with progress, or at least when it's finished. So far, this seems like it has the makings of a good cheap snowcab.

Peace,

/WW

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I made some more progress this weekend and feel pretty good about how it's going so far. Blackberry + garage lighting doesn't make for good photos, but it's all I have for you. Sorry about that, maybe I'll grab a real camera when it's all finished.

/WW

Attachments

#5 ·
The pics are fine and you are doing an awesome job!! Nice use recycling something someone else didn't want/need.

#10 · (Edited)
I would be very happy if my White 1650 GT looked that purty! Mine has been used hard since I bought it new in 1975. It still works as intended. Good luck with your cab. I have often thought about building one, but have not. Do not put down your pictures. I wanted to see then larger so I just used the scroll feature on the mouse. I will keep watching this thread and admiring your tractor. Marly

#17 ·
Wow thanks for all of the comments everyone, it's very inspiring and I will continue to follow-up to completion. I only work on it during the weekends, so don't have any progress to report on for now.

I need to get ahold of a little more angle iron to frame the front flip-up window. I decided to probably make it one large piece even though it'll be more cumbersome to raise, just because I think I'll like it better w/o a horizontal break half way down. (Feel free to advise otherwise if this is a mistake) Then I'll need to make the doors, I think I have enough material for those remaining from the bedspring sections. After that I'll lift it off and go over all the welds flipping it over all directions to make sure I get all of it. Probably just use plywood for the top, but maybe I'll buy some of that masonite (or whatever it's called) wall material? I'll have to buy plexi (or maybe just vinyl for this season?) and some black spraypaint, so it won't be entirely free -- but that's ok I guess.

To reply to some of the questions/comments...

Vonrow -- If you had your eye on it from CL, I hope you come across another one -- sorry.

scrat2 -- I'm in the sw metro (scott county), Jordan/NewPrague area.

engine2q -- yeah it's a nice bunch of springs, not sure what to do with them yet, chain tensioners sounds like a good one -- thanks.

locknut -- yeah it's a hard steel alright, completely stripped the teeth off a section of my bandsaw blade and pretty rough on my cheapie drillpress & bits too. It's working well though and the welder seems fine with it (not that I'm anything but a novice hack by far).

So anyway, thanks again everyone for viewing and commenting, it means a lot to me and I'll hopefully have some more progress this weekend.

Peace,
/WW

Ok I found one pic to share cuz I know we luv those on MTF. Hopefully I won't have to be in the elements like this again this year...

Attachments

#20 ·
I decided to go with a single door (just like the big Deere's cab I was inhabiting in my previous post). I don't think I've ever boarded from the right side anyway so I think that was a good call, but one could be added later if I change my mind.

So anyway... The door is on (no latch figured out yet), and the flip-up windshield is framed and mounted. One pic with them closed, one with them opened. Please ignore the blackberry case in the pics, I was trying to cut out some of the glare.

I think I'm ready to take it off, final weld, paint, and plexi.

/WW

Attachments

#21 ·
Nice work! :fing32:

#23 ·
Looks like you scored! Make sure the actuators are 24vDC not AC- otherwise, yes if they are DC they will work, just at a lower speed.

#24 ·
Last night I took off the cab frame for final welding (it's a stretch to call what I produce "welds", but I believe it will hold together). I took a few more mediocre pics of it on the floor and of the mounting brackets. I'm going to wire-wheel it and hope the weather gets warm enough to paint. I wish I had some free plexi sheets lying around. :)

/WW

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.