My Tractor Forum banner

Linear Actuator for Plow

15K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  firefighter5143 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum so I would like to start off by saying what I have read through has allowed me to kill a lot of time and relax. I really enjoy reading through all the forums. I have an idea and was wondering if it is a good one or not. I have a newer Simplicity Broadmoor 16 Vanguard V-twin. I have an older Simplicity Plow and hitch that fits my tractor. However the lift lever doesn't so I got a winch and mounted that to the tractor to lift the plow but then got to thinking how cool would it be to be able to rotate the plow from the seat of the tractor. So I began looking at linear actuators. Has anyone tried using one of these for this sort of application? How did it work? Do they work ok in cold weather? Or is this a stupid idea and I should just get off the tractor and manually angle the blade?

Thanks

#2 ·
:Welcome1: Glad to have you here and happy that you enjoy the forum. I don't know about linear actuators working in cold weather, but someone here I am sure has an answer. I also don't know what Simplicity offered back in the day, but Deere offered a linkage that allowed manually angling the front blade from the seat, Maybe someone here knows of such a set up from Simplicity. The Deere version works faily well unless it freezes up which happens in the wet sloppy snows we tend to get in the northeast.

#4 ·
kind of pricey, but I grinned and took one in the a--, and am in the process of doing the same as you are. I ended up spending $300 for 2 actuators with switches. I will post pics when I get it done later this summer. I tried to cheat and use an idea from another member using old car power window motors. lasted one snow. the switch went and so did one of the motors. Good thing it only snowed once this year in KC. Now I live in ST. Louis, we will see what I get for snow here. I plan to be prepared this year. Plus I have to get it done this summer since I have borrowed my grandpa's welder for a few weeks until the next trip home. The only challenge I have now is finding a U bracket to attach each end of the actuator to. Will try a local tractor dealer or tractor supply company, something like that.

#5 ·
let me add to it, the actuators I purchased are 1000 lbs rated, and will hold up to 2500 pounds. My big concern and the seller reassured me it would work, is would the acutator hold it's position while pushing, especially the angle one.

This all started for me when I attempted to make a cab for my craftsman and realized all the manual moving arms would get in the way, so the first obstacle was to power the blade.

#8 ·
Thanks for the good ideas. I am concerned about using a actuator for the lift portion. How will I solve the problem of allowing the plow to float and it goes down the driveway. Ex. my driveway slopes downward once the plow passes the side walk but the tractor hasn't the plow will lift off of the ground. Any idea's? Maybe use a winch for the lift?

#11 ·
firefighter5143 said:
Thanks for the good ideas. I am concerned about using a actuator for the lift portion. How will I solve the problem of allowing the plow to float and it goes down the driveway. Ex. my driveway slopes downward once the plow passes the side walk but the tractor hasn't the plow will lift off of the ground. Any idea's? Maybe use a winch for the lift?

If you have a pivot pin in the bottom hole, a removable pin in the middle hole, and your linear actuator connected with a clevis pin to the top hole, you can achieve float by removing the middle pin and you get down force (future uses) by using it with the middle pin in. The U shaped bracket would be welded to the part being lifted.

#14 ·
I have been using linear acturators for several years to lift my sleeve hitches and to angle my snow blade. I use Bear Linear actuators that are rated at 1200# lifting and 3000# static load. The actuators have not been the problem but I did have to go back in and reinforce the mounting bracket after it bent. A decent actuator heavy enough to survive the rough use will cost you about $200 each. You can buy cheaper ones but they will not last long.

#17 ·
Deerman, I saw a picture in another forum of your plow and its ability to angle. It was hard to see how you had it mounted (linear actuator) and how it pivoted. Would you be able to take a closer up picture of the actuator and mounting systems? One with the blade straight one with the blade at an angle? Thanks Your rear hitch looks great did you create that yourself? Nice work!

#18 ·
Learn from my mistake. The actuator I bought was too long, going to save it for a rear sleeve lift, another project another day. Already investigating the dimensions on a 4 and a 6 inch.

I tried to make the 8 work by mounting it too the blade, and not the swivel bracket. It did fine pulling, but it actually leaned the blade forward instead of angling when pushing. I actually got it done this week and pushed a little gravel in my driveway as a test.

The only big concern you need to address when conquering the angle, it to make sure the actuator can pivot up and down as the blade does. Don't mount one end to the frame that doesn't pivot.

My first attempt with the power window motors worked to angle no prob expect holding it's own weight and then outdoor durability. I used the existing mounting bracket that the manual angle arm went into for that and just bolted the motor to the frame that angles. I will do the same now with just a shorter actuator.

My only problem was that is was too long on this attempt, and will order a shorter. Also might have to try that floater bracket too. It is just that I have a gravel drive and don't want to push the gravel too.

I will try to take pics when daylight and post asap on my 2nd attempt.

#19 ·
Yea can't wait to see how you make the plow angle. I mounted an actuator along the frame rail and ran a chain to the plow to lift and lower. It seems to work very well however I am stumped on the angle portion. My tractor doesn't have a hydrolic option like yours (tooldad) but the actuator I found has 1,000 lbs lift and 3,000 lbs static load and only draws 14 amps. So i ordered a 2nd one to use for the angle. Both actuators are 4" stroke. When I complete mine I too with post pics.

Which brings me to my next question how do you post pictures in a forum?

#20 ·
send pics to my email at tractor@tooldad.com for me if you can. I am going through the help screens to figure out how to post pics also. by the way, my craftsman GT doesn't have hyd. I used an 8 inch actuator (4 or 6 would have been fine too) to make the lift work. haven't figured out the floating portion yet, I would like to see your pics. send me an email and I will send you pics tomorrow via email.

I just don't have the length dimension to mount the other 8 inch for the angle, so I am either getting a 4 in or 6 inch. According to my cad drawings, a 6 inch will only give me about 5 degrees more angle, however they are both about 40-45 degree angle, more than I really need anyway.

#21 ·
the other thing I figured out, is the pin needs to be vertical, because the mount actuator needs to swivel as it pivots. horz pin mounts would bind.

Also I ended up just getting some 1 1/2 by 1/4" thick metal and making my own mounts using a 1/2" drill bit and a cutoff saw. I am building the brackets using my grandpa's old arc welder. It is borrowed, but he told me he doesn't know when he'll want me to return it. So basically he gave it to me this summer but I am not allowed to pass it on so to speak.

#23 ·
figured out how to attach pics.

As I mentioned earlier, didn't think about the angle actuator pushing on the blade rather than the swivel bracket. so it would actually try to tilt the blade forward.

Currently there is no floating action on the lift actuator. As I said, I might try that bracket someone else posted earlier.

#26 ·
Yea I see where you will run into problems with the plow not being able to float. I pondered that ? for quite some time before I figured out a way to make mine float. I will take some pics of mine for you so you can see how mine is laid out. But our plows are quite different. On mine the pivot point is where the plow attaches to the tractor.

I see what u were talking about with the angle portion and pushing the plow down. By the way did you find a post describing how to post pics?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.