My Tractor Forum banner

when can i put lime down?

8K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  ducati996 
#1 ·
I just put fertilzer down out front... perfect timing.. its supposed to rain for the next 2 days so i wanted to let it get soaked in...

i want to put lime down too.. do you think i can put it down now or do i have to wait for the fertilizer to dissolve?? or wait a while before doing it??

#2 ·
I put peletized lime, starter fert and seed down all at once....I use Lesco products which come in 50 lbs bags.....works excellent and very cost effective...

It will soon be pre-emergent treatment time in another two weeks...better get busy SJ

Ducati

#4 ·
ducati996 said:
It will soon be pre-emergent treatment time in another two weeks...better get busy SJ

Ducati

i put down weed -n-feed which was the 2nd stage of their 4 stages of fertilizer .. i think we totally missed the 1st stage... heck we had snow on the ground up until a few weeks ago... ROF

thanks ill put lime down if we get a lull in the rain..

#6 ·
Humm! How to say this w/o appearing to be a smart a**!

Put the lime on at anytime you can!! But wait on the fertilizer of any kind well into June for the following two reasons!!

1. Assuming that you did your fall application, it gives the plant time to absorb the residual that it was unable to use last fall!!
2. In effect your giving the weed seeds dormant or other wise a kick in the a** in the early spring , exactly the wrong thing to do!!

How can I say this so emphatically? One of my prized accomplishments was Recieving a degree in Agriculture from Camron University a sub school of OU back in the day when the Military rewarded us stupid guys with an education!!:fing20:

#7 ·
Weed N Feed

dean i put miracle grows version of Weed N Feed.. so its a fertilizer and weed control

from site:

Scotts® Lawn Pro® Step™ 2 Weed Control Plus Fertilizer

• One application provides 2 months of rich green as it rids your lawn of dandelions and other broadleaf weeds
  • Strengthens and greens your lawn from the roots up
  • Every Scotts All-in-One® particle contains plant nutrients and weedcontrol ingredients.
  • Tiny lightweight granules stick to weed leaves far better than larger pellets of other weed killers for better control.
  • Patented time release nitrogen builds a thick, green lawn without burning your lawn

in the past id use CGM instead of fertilizert.. that would basically fertilize the dandelions... id have zillions of them.. this year i lazied out and got the stuff w/dandelion killer in it...

#8 ·
"i put miracle grows version of Weed N Feed.. so its a fertilizer and weed control "

And it's expensive, the weed part is formulated to inhibit the growth of our friends the broadleafs ie.( dandy lions and the like) but can not and dare not affect the grass like pervasive weeds Quack to name just one or it will negate the desired grass varietys!

Feed in late fall hold off till June depending on your zone and climate I do mine in zone 6 on or about the 1st of June. Mow as needed to about one inch or more and the weeds (All Types) can't compete!! For about 1/8 the cost of the method that you used and will be more effective over time!!:smilie_fl

#9 ·
I put down 12-12-12 @ $6.87 per 40LB bag and a liquid weed killer @ $18.95 QT..and it does pretty much the same thing as weed and feed but for less $$$. I put down pellitized lime every year and you can do it anytime at $3.43 per 40LB bag.

#10 ·
Archdean said:
Put the lime on at anytime you can!! But wait on the fertilizer of any kind well into June for the following two reasons!!

1. Assuming that you did your fall application, it gives the plant time to absorb the residual that it was unable to use last fall!!
2. In effect your giving the weed seeds dormant or other wise a kick in the a** in the early spring , exactly the wrong thing to do!!
Dean...I hear what your saying and I agree in part, but if you give the grass a kick in the spring it helps to suppress the weeds before they can get going. I base this on my own observations over many years of applying fertilizers at different times of the year.

#11 ·
Well here the weeds start growing in Jan long before the grass even thinks about starting. So late Feb or early March i put the weed and feed out and it kills off the weeds and the grass greens up long before my neighbors.

#12 ·
Argee said:
Dean...I hear what your saying and I agree in part, but if you give the grass a kick in the spring it helps to suppress the weeds before they can get going. I base this on my own observations over many years of applying fertilizers at different times of the year.
Do you apply a fall application??
If you do then you do not need to apply until early summer!!

#13 ·
My philosophy is to get the step-1 down as soon as possible. Crabgrass is a bad thing; it is almost impossible to get rid of it (within the same season) of when you do get it. Keep in mind though that it only lasts ~ 4 months, so that a second application will be due around August, when it is the hottest and crabgrass will thrive. Here in CT, I put this step down the first week in April (Lesco). In about two weeks, I will put down step-2 (weedkiller) to stop the proliferation of dandellions (among other things) that have already started to pop off. Remember you can kill weeds at almost anytime. Towards the end of June I will put down plain pellitized fertilizer, and if I see any hint of damage, grub treatment. After the second application of step-1 in August, I'll put down a winterizer mix in late Sept/early Oct. As I have already posted, lime went down this year, and I'll probably test the pH in the fall.

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

#14 ·
Anybody come across a lack of supply for Grub control that contains Merit?
It appears the DEC has just limited the use and availability to only licensed
pesticide contractors. The box stores are only to sell what they have on the shelf, but will be unable to re-order. I usually buy directly from Lesco but as of today I can not get my hands on the Merit based fert/grub control products. I found the Merit based products to be the best, so I'm determined to find a work around....just thought you might want to know

Ducati

#15 ·
duc,

Wow. I like the Merit based stuff too. I'll ask around, but if you find out anything else, please let us know.

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

#16 ·
This is definately the last year for Merit based products. The Merit based products are the all year long type meaning apply and you dont have to worry about Grubs all year long. The other types like Dylox only last about 24 hours, which basically leaves you venerable and requiring multiple applications when Grubs are present....Supplies are running out and will not be replaced....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.