My Tractor Forum banner

need help with throttle linkage on Bolens 1050

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Bill56 
#1 ·
Need a diagram, or photo, of linkage rod and springs connecting the governor and carburetor. (Wisconsin engine) The engine will not idle all the way down with the throttle control pushed all the way in. I have the cable adjusted so it is pushing the pivot arm as far as possible. The governor arm comes to a closed position, at idle speed, but it is not holding the throttle closed. Also, if I pull the throttle control out, just a little, it races the engine nearly wide open. I think something is out of place or missing. Found a broken spring on the floor, but I've been working on a lot of different projects today, so I'm not sure if the spring belongs to the Bolens

#2 ·
I've been working on my 1050 today, all original.

I can take pictures in the morning and post them if it'll help. I have to pull the air cleaner and tube off to put in the new points and condenser, so I can see to set the points. Which will show the linkage connections better when it's all out of the way.

#5 ·
Thanks for the pictures. I won't get a chance to work on this till Monday. I did take a quick look to compare your pictures to what is on my tractor. I can see, right off, that my spring is in a different hole on the governor arm. Yours' is in the third hole from the top, mine is in the third hole from the bottom. Maybe moving the spring will cure the problem.

:thanku:

#6 ·
I finally got back to this project today. I moved the spring to the same position as in the picture, but still can not get the engine to come down to an idle. All the linkages are moving freely. It seems like the governor is not working.
If I disconnect all the linkages, except for the rod between the governor and the carburetor, Shouldn't the governor be holding the engine at an idle once the engine is running?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.