My Tractor Forum banner

Homemade cab.

96K views 66 replies 41 participants last post by  VTPSD 
#1 ·
Hi all,

This is a repost of something I submitted a while ago, but which keeps coming up, and for whatever reason, the search engine finds hard to find.

So, I have a JD 2210 tractor. A friend of mine who builds race cars made this cab. It is entirely made of aluminum and held together by 1/4 turn Dzus fasteners. It comes on and off so easy, I'll bet some of you can't remove your MMM as quick.

Here are some pics:

Aluminum uprights bolt to ROPS:

Attach to exisiting inside ROPS holes as shown:

ROPS lights are shrowded as shown:

A view from the inside:

Please go to page 2

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Homemade cab 2.

Rear panel with plexiglass window is attached with (4) screws into ROPS. Note rear light.

Another pic (light connects to harness tucked away under top link:

SMV emblem also attaches to the rear:

Front right upright is attached:

See page 3

#3 ·
Re: Homemade cab 3.

Note electric:

Another pic:

And another:

Brace between towers strengthens everything and is attached by Dzus fasteners:

Left front tower includes heater core and Rotron blower:

See page 4

#4 ·
Re: Homemade cab 5.

Another view:

Hoses route through cut outs:

Tower covers footpad:

Assembly so far:

Windshield with wiper motor (tempered glass and motor are the heaviest part of this install):

Front view:

See next page

#47 ·
Re: Homemade cab 5.

Another view:
Windshield with wiper motor (tempered glass and motor are the heaviest part of this install):

Front view:

See next page
Did you make your own wiper setup, or did you buy that? It looks like it will go horizontal accross the glass. The curtis I just bought has a traditional wiper that wipes at an arc, and I want more of a "bus style" left to right motion like the one you got. Any advice would be great.

#5 ·
Re: Homemade cab 6.

View of how defroster and heater blower are laid out:

Some more of the integrals:

Heater hose routing:

And again (note quick couplers):

With panels in place:

See next page

#6 ·
Re: Homemade cab 7.

Control panel:

Roof on:

Rear view:

More:

Doors hinge and looking in:

A tight fit:

#10 ·
First time I believe I've seen this also. Don't know how I missed this the first go around. I've always wondered how well a bolt together cab would be. Thanks JDF for the repost. slkpk

#12 ·
Thanks guys.

TG, the joystick is tight at the farthest right position, but not needing gloves helps! :sidelaugh

#16 ·
Argee,

Thanks, for some reason I have a really hard time finding the original post, and since I posted it, I've had several requests for a link to it. This will save time.

Now, if only spring would arrive . . . :sidelaugh

#17 ·
Very smart approach.
It sure looks easier to make a cab,when you dont have a tall rops that has to fold down.You either have to build around it[like i am on mine],take it off the tractor,or park your tractor only in tall buildings:ROF
time for 1000 questions if i may:sidelaugh
What did you use for a wiper motor and arm?
Your heater ,i assume is homemade,what did you use for a core and fan?
The trim around the windsheild,where did you get it?
SUPER GOOD JOB!!:congrats: I can only hope mine will look half as good,when its done.
ALAN

#18 ·
escavader,

Thanks for the compliments, I'm sure your cab will be equally as stellar . . . and it was indeed your post that got me to again revive this one.

As for your questions, here is what I know:

ROPS. Though I now have a foldable ROPS, all the bolts and attachment points are set for the standard one and without a lot of time (yes, I procrastinated) I had to re-install the OEM one. By next winter, I'd like to have modified everything to fit the foldable ROPS. I don't think it will be major.

As for your comment about tall buildings, when I first got the cab, i did a post about "lower the water or raise the bridge". This was because the tractor DID NOT fit inside my garage or shed. To give you a little history, my previous CUT, a JD755 fit inside my garage just fine. This was with the taller ROPS for a BH. So, when I purchased the 2210, I never gave two seconds thoughts as to measuring the ROPS against the opening. Boy, was I WRONG. Not only did the 2210 not fit inside my garage, it wouldn't go inside my shed. To put it mildly, the wife lit the boiling pot. So, I ended up modifying the roof (it had a rake to drain off snow and ice) and it is now flat to just barely fit. :sidelaugh

The wiper motor is standard marine. The blade is what fit that length. The rods were modified several times before a fit was established.

The heater core is an old used one from "some car". My friend is the one who had this in his "stock car" graveyard.

The windshield is a tempered glass unit and the gasket designed to seal seaboard issues. It weighs by itself more than all the rest of the cab weighs.

I can't wait to see how your can comes out! If you need any special close ups, let me know.

#20 ·
I really do like that cab. One of the nicest designs I have seen. One question, did you ever think about adding another window under the existing windows on the doors? This would allow you better visibility out of the cab. Never had one so I could not even tell you if it's a big deal or not. The only reason I ask is I see a lot of cabs today are alot more glass or plex-glass. Plus you do have the cool factor. What do I know???

#21 ·
Keweenaw,

Thanks for posting that link; it really came out nice!

Mayor,

I have thought about adding lower windows, although the view is still acceptable now, but I've only had to use the tractor with the cab on once last year and twice this year! Hopefully, that groundhog was wrong and I can be taking off the cab really soon and putting the MMM on! :sidelaugh

#23 ·
I have a used Curtis soft sided cab with wiper, heater. It is blue, and would need a paint job to bring it up to my standards. It was mounted on a Ford 1220 and I used it a couple of times in the winter. The front window has cracks in it, but is not anything that cant be fixed by a local glass shop. It can be disasembled and put on a palet to be shipped. Some one that had a welder and a mind could make it work on about anything or any color. Sides are not ripped. It weighs less than 400 lbs I guess. I got rid of the Ford 1220 and bought a JD 2305. The Blue and the Green colors clashed. If any one is interested e mail me and we can talk price and pictures.

#27 ·
GFI,

Thanks! :)

#28 ·
Here's a clearer pic of the completed install:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.