My Tractor Forum banner

how much do wheel weights weigh?

10K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  CedarView 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how much wheel weights or the front suitcase type weights weigh?
I'm trying to add some weight to my JD3320 so when I have my forks attached I don't have to keep my shredder attached. I've seen those ballast boxes, however thinking of other options.

#2 ·
If you hit up Deere.com you can get info for the 3320, including parts catalog.
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/...g_no=9393&grid_no=1B4&section_no=20&page_no=2

According to which
8 T19293 WEIGHT 2 50KG (110 LB) (STARTER/ADDITIONAL WEIGHT) (USE WITH 11.2 - 24 R1 TIRES)
10 BM17968 WEIGHT 2 23.6KG (52 LB) (STARTER/ADDITIONAL WEIGHT) (USE WITH 15 - 19.5 OR 43 X 16 - 20 R4 TIRES)

So the first is 110 lb, the second is 52 lb for that tractor, depending on set up.

Now the suitcase weights are available in different weights, but I'm unsure of the brackets capacity, and wasn't able to find it quickly. If you don't get an answer I'll look tomorrow.

There's also tire ballast, which both tire and wheel weights have the advantage of not adding load to the tractor. it would be heavier on the trailer, but not on the axles. Where as a large ballast box is all on the axles.

Good luck with your searching.

#3 ·
I opted to go with fluid in the rear tires on my 3320. Dealer quoted me $320.00 for starter kit and 2 110lb. weights. Magneizium Chloride and water installed 420 lbs. for $135.00. Only had done 2 weeks ago. Not had a chance to try out yet. 61" front bucket, frointer forks, 2060 Frointer BB, 7"york rear blade, 5" woods bushhog, JD 4' tiller, 6' disk. Good luck with your choice of ballast.

#4 ·
thanks for the info!! that was great...is that 110lbs for each or the pair total weight? I couldn't quite tell. Thanks again, I guess I should have read, hear at work we have a saying "RTFM" which means "Read the Fu*@!#$ Manual" too funny, thanks again.

#8 · (Edited)
Dealer price was for 110lbs. each side. Tractor seems to ride smoother. Have not done any heavy lifting or pulling yet, just a new upright freezer of the truck bed last night. Kicking around the idea of adding ww fluid to the fronts. Will do this my self. Did it to my 180LT. and made out fine. Really seams to help with mowing on hills. And plowing snow with aid of chains. But 3320 got the snow jobs as we had 12" to 20" on the "shore" on the 19th and 20th Dec. 09. Will keep you posted.

#9 ·
Followup: Pushed snow with the 3320/FEL and 7' rearblade on 2/1/10. Snow very light and dry though we had 7" at my place. Tractor responded well with the fliud in the rear tires. But no noticiable difference in traction yet. Snow very slick. I will keep updates coming. Thanks.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the info...I opted to build my own ballast box. I think this will work out much better for me. I will be able to remove the extra weight in a snap when doing some mowing without sinking in the ground. What I learned from everyone's posts is that every idea is good, you just have to select or customize the one that works best for YOUR situation. Thanks...maybe I'll post some pics later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.