My Tractor Forum banner

Kohler KT17/Ariens GT17 rebuild

14K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  olysan 
#1 ·
Alright, I have weighed the pros and cons and decided to just fix the engine in the GT17 instead of taking it out and putting it in the New Holland.

I'll have basically two complete tractors when I'm done and don't have hack any of them to make it happen. I would have had to bend the frame slightly for clearance for the hydrostat levers and the gas tank would have had to be changed. I toyed with the idea to take the engine out of the New Holland to put in the GT17(the engine was blown and apart when I got it), but the K321 has a wider footprint than the KT17 twin, so the frame would have to be modified to fit that. So, I canned the whole idea and just decided to bite the bullet and check out all the engines I have accumulated and make one or just buy a new engine like Kawasaki kit.

When I got the GT 17 it was a real basketcase and I stripped all the way down to the frame and started from there. I have spent lots of time on the body and everything else, so I really have a good platform to go from. Like I said the KT17 engine that was in it was blown with a broken case and cylinder/piston/rod. I got another KT17 core short block(supposed to be a KT19, but according to it's bore and stroke it was a KT17) from a good friend but it had set out side and had lots of trash in the heads. I bought a`used engine(magnum 18) online and UPS dropped it cracking the block rendering it useless. Due to my NH fiasco, it was time to take the engines apart and see what I had to work with.

KT17:
RIght size crank for factory PTO/ could be reground
1 cylinder had and 1 usable valve and springs
Carburetor and intake
No tins or flywheel
Broken block

Second KT17:
Crank in great shape but wrong size
Heads in bad shape due to being exposed
Block in good shape

M18:
Broken block
crank needs grinding, but it different cause it's a full pressure eng.
One great cylinder head, one broken one from a flying rod(but good valves and springs)
All engine tins
Flywheel with electronic ignition
Carburetor and intake with all linkages

I mic'ed everything and looked very promising... Between all of my engines, they all had the same bore and stroke, even all the rod casting numbers are the same. I took all the parts to the machine shop and inquired as to the cost of the machining. I wanted all the rods and pistons along with the crank and flywheel balanced since I was changing flywheels. I am also getting a 3 angle valve job. They just wanted to me to make sure all the parts were available before they started. I called Tulsa eng. exchange and they could get me all the parts, but real expensive($555 for new rods, pistons, bearings, gaskets). Napa can get me the rods and gasket set for large savings on them. So I called the machine shop and told them to start on them. I have to know the right size pistons I need so I can order the right ones. The rods only come oversized to .010, so no choice there.

I'll keep you guys updated!

Chad

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like quite a project, but having two good tractors when finished should make it worth while. You've had some bad luck with UPS as some others have had, I hope they made good on the cracked block.

#3 ·
bontai Joe said:
Sounds like quite a project, but having two good tractors when finished should make it worth while. You've had some bad luck with UPS as some others have had, I hope they made good on the cracked block.
Bontai,

Oh yeah, they made good on it alright....they sent the shipper(a buddy of the guy who I bought the motor from) a check for a hundred smackers. What did I get back? Nothing, nada...If I can pull this off, it will still be worth the money I paid, it just would have been nice to have a full oil pressure lube engine.

It will all work out in the end

Chad

#4 ·
OK, I got it done and here's the proof....I modified the Original KT17 block to be a full oil pressure block and have verified 47 Psi of Oil pressure. Everything has worked flawlessly to date. Here are the pics.

Attachments

#6 ·
I really like the color! Nice looking tractor, and I'm familiar enough with those old Ariens to know that it will work as hard as it looks good. How's progress on the New Holland going?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.