My Tractor Forum banner

Brush Grubber with a Deere

23K views 125 replies 23 participants last post by  KWDAILYD 
#1 ·
Has anyone use the Brush Grubber with your Deere? What is your experience? What should a novice user be looking out for?

I just bought one, but would like to better understand the limitation and technique before trying it out this spring.

Thanks.

Gordon

#50 ·
I'm planning on using a grabber to pull the buried broken end of fence posts from the ground so I can get a new one in with minimal digging. I have a boom pole and also Ken's Bolt on Hook's on the FEL and a set on the JDQH Forks.

#52 ·
Just ordered two bolt on hooks, thanks for the link>:thanku:

#64 ·
I cleared an acre of scattered bushes for a farmer near me, using the grubber and my Jeep. I planned two days with two helpers, but only one guy showed up and we were done in a couple of hours. All's I did was drive the Jeep! The farmer was very pleased because we got the roots out along with the shrubbery, and didn't tear up the terrain so he was able to use the land immediately. The Grubber is a great tool to have because it performs as advertised. Can't ask for more than that.

#55 ·
My pleasure. I have to tell you, working with Ken is amazing. He will do anything he can to help you out. I just finished painting mine green, will be mounting them this weekend.
Randy

#56 ·
You folks have me all excited about the Brush Grubber. In the Norther Virginia Piedmont, we are being attacked by an extremely invasive bush call the Autumn Olive. They will take over your entire property if not addressed. They grow up to 20 feet tall, and 4" in diameter. If you cut them down, or burn them, they come back with a vengeance. Once they leaf, they grow 4" thorns along the branches, so you can't get near them.

I had hundreds before I tackled them one winter. I cut them down, small ones with a lopper, larger ones with a chain saw, then coated the stumps with the strongest stump killer I could find. They came right back. They grow a sweet berry in the spring which are eaten by birds, then spread from bird droppings. When they came back, I cut them again and this time sprayed the stumps with Roundup. It killed some, some came back. Every time I see new leaves on the stumps, I spray Roundup. This is slowly killing them off.

I have too many mature trees to get to them with a Bobcat, as one neighbor did. As soon as I saw this thread, and read the posts, I went to Amazon and ordered one. I think the roots are fairly shallow, so am expecting the X500 to pop them out of the ground. The ground is soaked from steady rains all winter, so that will help.

The Brush Grabber arrives Friday. The first day of no rain, I'm starting. At this point I have dozens to pull up, not hundreds. Wish me luck................

Oh, and once again - Thank You all for providing another way I can get some seat time on my John Deere!

#59 ·
The Brush Grabber arrives Friday. The first day of no rain, I'm starting. At this point I have dozens to pull up, not hundreds. Wish me luck................
Think about using something to help with the upward tension on the bush. Some have spoken of a wheel, empty propane tank, something like that. The section of pipe that I used worked great. The Brush Grubber UTube video shows the tree being pulled from about 3 feet above the ground and seemed to work as well. Sounds like you've got plenty of practice ahead of you so be sure to let us know what nets the best results.

#58 ·
Well Ken, I'm even happier to learn that the fine product that I have purchased is provided by a fellow MTF Poster. I can't wait to get them painted and installed. If I can find the dog and get the camera back I will post some pics.

#63 ·
What else ya gonna do with all your money? Leave it to the kids?

Say KWD, I noticed you've listed your Stihl items in your signature, I guess I am going to have to add those too now? LOL If I do you are going to see where my money has gone.....the kids will get LOT'S of toys, not so much moola.

#65 ·
:thThumbsU Stihl makes a nice prduct. I would have to look up all those numbers to know what they all are,

#66 ·
Stihl: MS180CB-E Chain saw; MS391 chain saw; HT101 pole-prunner chain saw; FS110 string trimmer with handlebars; HS81T hedge prunner; SR360 backpack blower

#67 ·
Nice setup. You've got it all covered! :thThumbsU

#68 ·
Yeah, not much shopping left to do at the Stihl dealer....but the JD dealer can more than handle to fall off....lol....not sure I can!

#69 ·
My resident banker has cut me off for awhile till the pot grows a little again!

#72 ·
I'm pretty lucky with the banker, she's easy going, and smart enough to keep the outside honeydo list big and long....latest addition, pole barn for as yet unattained goats and/or alpacas to join the chickens and the bees.....

#73 ·
Back to the Brush Grubber topic for a second. I got mine from Amazon yesterday and tried it on my invasive Autumn Olive stumps. No luck! The grubber worked great, but the stumps popped off at ground level when I cranked up the X500 and pulled hard!

Highly recommend the Brush Grubber, I'll keep it for future projects.

#74 ·
Can you arrange pulling UP on them?

#79 ·
That's why I got rid of the old shed Bruce. I need a bigger one with a basement under it!!!

#80 ·
Well, you guys talked me into one. It just came. Will be some weeks until I can put it to use.

#81 ·
#83 ·
Not sure why one would need a spring to keep it closed, the scissor action of pulling on the central shackle should do all the"keeping it closed" that is needed, wouldn't it? Or do you mean just holding it in place while you are climbing back on the tractor?

#85 ·
And as one is saving a good $30 for this one there are many spring options you an consider, including a case or two of beer for you and the helper who holds it in place for you while you never even got off the tractor!

#87 ·
And that's why we have beer! If not as a pain reliever, at least as an excuse.

BTW, I'm just kidding around, I have much more respect than that for dangerous machinery, didn't survive this long on just good looks!

#89 ·
Picked up a Brush Grubber BG-16 (Clump Grubber) today. On sale at Northern Tool for $49.95.

I really like their products, hope it works as described.

#90 ·
That must be something new. I don't see it listed in the literature that came with my BG-01 Brush Grubber. I'll have to look it up on line. I've used my brush grubber alot this spring again.

Edit: I found it in the literature.

#91 ·
You just caused me to spend more money Bruce. I ordered the BG-01HA

#92 ·
Larry, let us know how well that works. It would be great to not get on/off the tractor to do your brush grubbing!:thThumbsU

#93 ·
The chain is awesome! It slides on smaller stuff, but when you get it around a big pile of brush, it will either pull it up or rip the brush apart. It is a mean tool!!!!

Jon

#95 ·
I just ordered one of those too. Now to figure out how to hook it up to the FEL.

#96 · (Edited)
They make a Bucket Mount (BG-23). It is how you connect the BG-21 or BG-22 to a bucket. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to get the grubber around the tree when you cant see the device on the bucket.:dunno:

#97 ·
I just bought this last Sunday, can't wait to try it out. my neighbor has 8 small bushes to test with.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.