My Tractor Forum banner

Need help finding a plow attachment for a Troy-Built Pony...

28K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  nickpapagiorgio 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just bought a used Troy-Bilt Lawn Tractor. It's only a couple years old. The manual identifies it as a "Model Series 77T." There are accessories listed on the tractor itself and in the manual that include a plow attachment. The part number identified is OEM-190-833. The mower is supposed to be compatible with MTD accessories. I found this plow attachment for $299 at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-L...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I've read some reviews though that indicate the plow does not fit on "Model Series 700" lawn tractors. Also, my manual indicates the same thing.

I'm not sure if my mower (a Model Series 77T) qualifies as a Model Series 700 mower?? Does anyone know if this plow will work with my mower?

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help... It's strange that they list the plow attachment on the mower itself if it's not intended??

Do you know whether it would fit without modification and whether damage to the frame would be an issue if I were just using it to plow a flat straight driveway (and being very careful)?

Also, which models are lawn tractors and which are garden tractors? I'm very confused by the way Troy-Bilt classifies their models by model number and pony/horse/etc.

Thanks again.

#4 ·
Well I see your talking about a snow plow(Dozer Blade) in your link and not and earth plow so yes your tractor can take that kind of plow with no problems. I think troy-bilt fanatic thought you were talking about a 10inch earth plow. The plow should attach on your tractor without any modification. All Current Lawn tractor made by MTD should be able to take that plow. :thThumbsU

#7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I found a plow (dozer) attachment on craiglist this weekend for $65. I picked it up yesterday evening and put it on today. It's in great shape. It looks like the guy I got it from probably only used it once or twice.

The model number was OEM-190-620, which is different from what my manual says for my tractor. I didn't realize it until I got it home but it had me worried until today. Basically, it fit with only two minor modifications. First, one of the mounting holes on each side of the tractor was partially blocked by a bracket that accommodates the hood mounts. I had to get out my dremel and slowly bore out the part of the bracket that was blocking the hole. I also need to drill one hole in each side of the frame to get third bolt on each side. Right now the bracket is attached to the mower's frame with only four bolts, but I'd like six (three on each side).

Anyway, here are some pictures. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

#8 ·
Something I found out that may be helpful to others...

I think the guy I bought the plow from had the handle assembled wrong. The handle is actually two pieces that are joined about in the middle by a set screw. In the picture, the placement of the handle seems fine but when the plow goes down, the handle move so far forward you have to almost get off the tractor to reach it. This got me thinking that something was installed correctly...

Sure enough, the handle was assembled wrong (I think). I removed the set screw and rotated the top portion of the handle 180 degrees so now, the handle is much lower when the plow is up and still reachable when it is down.

I've noticed a lot of pictures of plows where it appears the same mistake has been made. Assuming I'm correct, this may help others out as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.