My Tractor Forum banner

14hp kohler hard to turn over

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  RedOctobyr 
#1 ·
A friend of mine is having trouble with his riding mower. He got it about 6 months ago, was running and starting fine. Last week he goe's to start it after letting it sit for a month. Didn't want to turn over so he pulls the plug, it turned over but was stiff. After cranking it a while with no spark plug it loosened up a bit. He put the plug back in and got it running. Now it starts and runs fine when warm but when its cold, it has a hard time turning over. Any thoughts about what may be the problem? The battery is good. Starter appears to be ok. I think the model of the engine is a K321. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

#3 ·
I don't know about the plug and points, but I know the oil is fresh and the battery is good(starts all his other riders no problem) Should be turning over easy seeing how most of the older kohlers had a ACR

#4 ·
My K321 has an ACR, but beats me on how to trouble shoot it, as mine is working I will follow this thred for future reference.

Attachments

#8 ·
If youve done all the tune up stuff , check the valve clearance. The arc run off the cam and if the clearance is to large it wont open the valve enough. If you think yopu have a issue you can pull the head and watch or measure the opening .. check the book. if you have points make sure they are good shape ..

#11 ·
You could also try jumping it directly to the starter, I presume. That might help you rule out some wiring issues.

If it turns over slowly even with the plug removed, that would make me suspect either a problem with the starter, or some sort of parasitic drag, like RED-85-Z51 mentioned. For that matter, with the plug removed, how does it rotate if you try to turn the engine by hand?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.