My Tractor Forum banner

connecting 2305 belly mower pto

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JD GReg 
#1 ·
I finally got my 2305 a few weeks ago, but due to a bunch of things (moving 2 daughters, one to Chicago and one to Atlanta), I haven't had much time to use it or post on here. I did get some time today to try taking the mowing deck off. Pretty easy to do. But I'm having a helluva time getting the pto shaft back on when I try to put it back on the tractor.

Is there a trick to this? This is my first time using a pto with a collar. My old tractor had a "harder" system with a hitch pin to hold it on. But it was easy to turn the shaft to line up the splines. I can't seem to get the splines to line up on this one.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and I hope to post some pics next week.

Thanks,
Steve

#2 ·
I found the secret! Its, make a post on here to let the world know that you are a ????, then go out and try it again! :fing20:

I had been trying for about 30 minutes, made the post, went back out, and had it on within a minute. The thing is, I'm not sure what I did different. I did try turning the shaft at the ujoint.

#3 ·
Oakhilltop, there's a couple of things to do:

[1] make sure the collar is pulled right back and locked into place
[2] set your pto lever to rear so the the PTO spline can turn
[3] it should just slide straight on now, and when its in place the collar will lock into place

With a bit of practice it only takes a few seconds

#4 ·
I can relate! Took my mower deck off for the first time last week. I had the same problem but I remembered reading on here to move lever to rear PTO. My problem was that when I took it off I did not notice the collar pulled back. So going back on it took me a little time till I noticed that it moved. Another problem was pulling the deck out from under tractor. My FEL was off so I could not lift tractor up with it but I pulled pins on wheels and droped the deck down. As smeagol says it gets easier with practice! Bill

#5 ·
The sliding collar (which sort of lock in the open position) is what I expect is the unfamiliar culprit. :)

#7 ·
Yes, thanks for the help. I'll try it again soon and select the rear pto.

It took a little fiddling to get the pins for the lifters to line up, but I'm sure that will get quicker with practice. I used the 2305 for mowing for the first time yesterday ( I still have my old tractor) and wow, did it ever create a whirlwind under the deck. Much stronger than my old garden tractor. That's a good sign for when I use the snowblower this winter.

I found the 2305 to be very maneuverable for mowing. I went with the smaller, 53" I think, mowing deck and it worked well for my yard. There were one or two places that I couldn't get into with the 2305 that I could with the smaller deck on my garden tractor. But not bad at all. Just have to get the weed whacker out.

#8 ·
There may be a better way but what I did was drop the mower (54") with it sitting on the wheels. Pulled the pins to the arms and disconnected the drive shaft. Then I pulled pins to wheels and let it drop. Slid mower out. When I put it back I slid it under and connected the drive shaft and then lifted each corner to where two holes showing on wheel shafts and slid back in pins. When I then lowered the arms, they just about right. Just took a little jiggling. While I had the mower deck out I scraped off a few clumps of grass, greased fittings on drive shaft and pullys on mower. I also used a hand grinder and just dressed up the blades. When all back together it seemed quieter. Just 16 hours on my tractor but I would say that too much grease can't hurt.:goodl: Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.