My Tractor Forum banner

Homemade Rake - LOL

17K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  mark777 
#1 ·
Hey Y'all,

Since I had great pleasure when building my little 'Junk' back blade for the little Yanmar, I figured to push the limits and build a rake. I wanted an-all-in one kind that served as a gentle debris and rock rake as well as an aggressive dethatcher.

Success- and a 5' footer for under $75. I was simply amazed at how uncomplicated it was. And I encourage anyone with the minimum tools and welder to save yourself the $329. and make one. My time and the tines from TSC were the only expense as I had the necessary steel on the rack. The tines were $1.96 ea. X 34 but well made spring steel rods attached by a vulcanized rubber base to the U shaped mount.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
....The Rake head or base is medium wall round tube with 34 ea. 1/4" holes drilled through (both sides). I also re-drilled one side slightly over sized (5/16") to allow the attached tines to be adjustable...or tune them for pitch and stagger.

The rest is bits of 3/16" and 1/4" angle along with 1/4" plate for the attachment pins (I used the existing eccentric outrigger arms from the homemade back blade:fing32: ).

I must say that during my test run in the grassy areas, I hit a small patch of my gravel drive, and this brought a smile to my face as the tines shoot rocks at the back of the tractor...Never again with out adjusting the top link for a much less aggressive bite :ROF

Hope you like the pictures.

Mark

Attachments

#5 ·
Quote mark777 --- I wanted an-all-in one kind that served as a gentle debris and rock rake as well as an aggressive dethatcher.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have some areas you could test that on but we may need to modify the termonology a little. Like agressive debris removal.:ROF I'd even do a touch up on the paint when finished. maybar

Attachments

#6 ·
Way to go Mark, nice looking. And I don't see a blade of grass in any of the pics. Musta done a real good job of getting them picked up. :ROF

#7 ·
Maybar...that would be comparable to the better sections of my 'lawn'!

And the paint is only there for it's maiden voyage :). After a lifetime of obsessive appearance maintenance...I'm over it. Maybe a dab here and there to prevent seasonal rust LOL.

Yeah Mickey...I only made two 50' passes and came up with a decent 2' pile of nasty thatch, and looking back there are many new exposed patches of earth (where grass should be).. I quit soon after. As fun as it was, it's also 93° out.

#12 ·
.... have one question...where the top link meets the rake,the lowest part of the triangle,what's the tube do? it's centered in the rake pointing down.
G.H. It's actually two tubes. The inside tube is 2" heavy wall the full length or 26" long. The outer tube is 2 1/4" heavy wall that slides over from the bottom and then is capped where the two 1/2 bolts are (top and bottom). The top bolt and cap are visible in the first picture and fasten via welded nuts on the inside tube ..the bottom one is there too, just not visible in any of the pictures. I did this so my back blade would operate straight and also at a 20° angle. And now, so will the rake.

You just pull the center pin and two connecting arms, raise the 3PH and slide off the back blade...and slide on the rake. Pretty simple really, but both implements work as well as any I've purchase 'store bought'...better in some respects as everything is adjustable including the degree or pitch of the blade or rake.

..and thanks for the kind words guys.

Mark

#13 ·
Rock on, Mark!!! Ohhh man, I have thought about making one of those for a long time, but I didn't know how well it would work as a rake, what with the spacing of the tines. I thought they would need to be closer together to work well. A dethatcher is about $75 for my sweeper. I too stared at the tines at TSC and Atwoods thinking the same thing.

That thing looks sweet. How long did it take you to drill all those holes?

I've got to make one now.

Bruce~

#20 ·
Just so happens I work at TSC, and have thought the same thing. If I were to make one it would have to be tow behind as I dont have a tractor with a 3pt.

#23 · (Edited)
Thanks again fellow members!

I did have lots of questions (e-mail & PM) on how it actually works...and I agree it looks a little complicated when fully assembled to either implement. So, I took some pic's of the whole thing disassembled, including the "A" (3PH) frame.

As you can see it's made from simple and readily available steel stock and tube. And basic set-up and welding procedures.

First Pic, all the pieces (the 3PH A frame with the pin through the middle) mounts to top link and lower lift arms.

Second Pic, the back blade slides over the tube, gets pinned and arms attached....fully assembled and ready to go. It takes a little more than 5 minutes to un-pin, raise the 3PH, slide of and change from blade to rake...

Mark

Attachments

#24 ·
Bunky,

I looked at those carefully, and the green and yellow ones ... they were cheaper too. But as Sonny said they're for hay, and just too stiff with little or no lateral play.

I think the inside diameter of the spring (I.D.) slips over a tube and the 'hook' on top catches a vertical plate. I came very close to buying those but decided there just wasn't enough 'give'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.