My Tractor Forum banner

MA-210 Snow Cannon

6K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  DJ in WV 
#1 ·
I first want to start with a big thank you to all of you that gave me advice on my snow blower purchase a few months ago. It is very much appreciated.

We finally had a bit of snow over the weekend. While I wouldn't consider this a major snow event at all, we, so far, have about seven inches on the ground. I figured that this was as good a time as any to try out my new to me blower, just in case there is something wrong with it. Better to test it now when it isn't necessary than later when it would make the difference of getting out or not.

I started out this morning by taking off my dual wheels and switching to singles with chains. I then checked the oil in the gear box of the blower and adjusted the casters to their highest position. All of my area is a stone drive, so I want to keep as many rocks out of the blower as possible. After a quick check and adjustment of the slip clutch, I mounted it up.

Note to self for the future, make sure that the fuel tank is full before mounting the blower. The electric start hood doesn't open very well with the huge blower in front of it. :fing20: Oh well, I managed to get it open far enough and stick a small block under it enough to fuel the tractor.

I couldn't believe how well this thing works! Snow cannon is no exaggeration! This thing really throw! Even in this rather dry, powdery snow it performed very well.

Alright, enough of my rambling. I have some pics for all of your browsing enjoyment.

Thanks again and on to the pics!

See less See more
#9 ·
I had a blast, even when the snow blew back on me and iced up my goatee. :biglaugh:

We only had around six or seven inches on the ground at the time, but it was enough to make sure that everything was working correctly.

Now if the forecast holds, we may have another eight or ten on the ground by Wednesday morning. :praying:

A true thing of beauty!
Absolutely! :fing32:

If your hood pivot rod and clips are in good shape, you can remove the whole hood for fueling and service without removing the blower.
They are in great shape, but really I got enough clearance by just putting that small block of wood between the handlebar and hood to get my fuel can in there without any problems. Just inconvenient.

Congrats DJ! Yes, the 210 is a wonderful machine. Snow cannon really is the right name for it. I'm told it works even better on a later kohler-powered tractor, but I've been way happy with how it works on my L8.

The satisfaction of using gear like this is one of things that makes the work I put into it worthwhile.

Next thing we know, you'll be wishing for another 18", so you can really put it to work :)
This thing would be an absolute beast on a C-10A or a C-12! I ran it in low range, low gear and it did great. On level ground, I did bump it up to low range, high gear for a few minutes and it would really throw the snow, but wanted to bog down a little. No need to overwork the machine, so I left it in low gear, and am very happy with it.

I don't know about this 18" stuff. If I can find the new bolts that I picked up to put the drift cutters back on, maybe. :fing20:

Sweet! Sorry you didn't have more to test it on. We have had nothing but fluries here for the past couple weeks.
I had enough to play, err, I mean work the machine a bit in. If this winter goes anything like last, there will more than enough to "work" in before spring.

#8 ·
I'll take that as a complement! Are you suggesting that I'm an old fogie??? :biglaugh:

#6 ·
Congrats DJ! Yes, the 210 is a wonderful machine. Snow cannon really is the right name for it. I'm told it works even better on a later kohler-powered tractor, but I've been way happy with how it works on my L8.

The satisfaction of using gear like this is one of things that makes the work I put into it worthwhile.

Next thing we know, you'll be wishing for another 18", so you can really put it to work :)

#12 ·
Gee guys, I don't know what to say. (sniff, sniff)

#13 ·
Welcome to the Gravely snowblower club! "Cannon" really is the right word. Gravely got it right when they designed them; and to think, how many years ago. I wonder if people using other brands would go back to them after trying one of these.
You may want to spray the entire inside of the blower and chute with Pam, WD-40, teflon etc. before using it. This will help reduce snow build up in the blower while in use.

#14 ·
My father would use car wax on his Gravely square chute blower. It seemed to help.

I still have fond memories of using the Gravely to remove snow. It doesn't matter if it was blade or blower. It was all good.

#15 ·
Thanks gentlemen. It feels really good to be in the "club" with one more useful implement. I can't believe that I didn't do this years ago.

I forgot to mention in my previous posts that I did take some cheap cooking spray and gave the insides a good hosing. I figured that it would do, for the time being.

If things go as I hope, I really want to tear it down this spring and do a nice restoration on it, similar to the top shelf job that JRD did on his 38". I feel that it is really worth the time and effort to preserve this thing as long as I can.

#17 ·
I'll see if I can manage to convince the wife to shoot some video. I have just gotten her to taking good photos, so video might be soon though.

#18 ·
Nice snow cannon DJ!:thThumbsU Got to agree some video would be awesome as that looks like a blast to operate!

Hats off to Cat385B for linking me here as I missed this when it first appeared!:thanku:

#19 ·
The current storm that we're in has so much wind that the road is self cleaning right now. :fing32:

As soon as the next big one hits, I'll try to post some video.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.