My Tractor Forum banner

Weed control in rocks

11K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Argee 
#1 ·
Friend of mine did some erosion control along a creekbed with some larger rocks, about 6-8 inch in size. All worked out well and looks great, but he has to spray about every month or so to keep the weeds from growing up thru the rocks. He was wondering if there is anything that would control week growth for a longer period of time.

Hmmm, maybe a pre-emergence?? Ideas??

#4 ·
A spray with 10% or 20% acetic vinegar will do the trick and is non-toxic. This is not household vinegar, although I have seen weeds die in a few hours after a squirt of regular white vinegar.
Apparently it should be available at "farm stores", but I have not looked any place but online. You can get a 55 gallon drum here: http://www.marshallgrain.com
It is pricey, but worth it imho.
It does not work the same way as chemical weed killers (ie: RoundUp), and apparently there is some controversy on the long-term effectiveness of it. I can, however, vouch for the fact that even lower concentrations have worked for me.

#5 ·
This spring I paid $24 for a gallon of Roundup. It didn't do all the area I had. Read on one of these list to use bleach in water. I used a 50/50 mix of bleach/water and it lasted longer than the Roundup. Bleach is about $1.25 per gal. here. Have had to redo both parts this time all with bleach. Neighbor says his dad used 3 parts bleach and 1 part water.

Walt Conner

#7 ·
ideally he should have something to fill in between the large rocks. smaller rock works great. the POCO here lined the ditch in front of their office with large rocks similar to your friend, but they put a layer of smaller rock down first, then the big rock, then went back and packed all openings with small rocks. i have never seen weeds growing there, and according to a friend who works there they don't ever spray it.

#8 ·
How about some fine sand between the rocks??..might block the sun and keeep them from growing?..like they do with patio blocks.

I dont see weeds in landscaping done with crushed gravel or stones around here,I think you need something to fill in between the stones to keep the weeds from sprouting..I suspect they put some kind of weed barrier plastic under the rocks first most likely too..

I'm in the process of making a rock border in front of our house,and want to fill in where we once had bushes with native stones I've gathered..

I dont want weeds growing around them either!--I may put down some sheets of OSB with some shallow wooden sides first, and lay the stones on that,instead of directly on the ground..I dont want to EVER have to mess with "landscaping" after this project is done,I've had it!..I figure rocks wont need any trimming or other "maintenence",and I think they look cool!..

Robert

#9 ·
Thanks, everyone. Lots of good thoughts and ideas. I will send him a link to the page. Appreciate the time to post your ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.