My Tractor Forum banner

Best way to put on tire chains

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Small Fry 
#1 ·
Never used tire chains before, but I recently got a steal on a set so thought I would try them.
What is the best way to put them on? Pull the tires or leave them on the tractor? I was told to deflate the tires, put the chains on as tight as possible and then inflate the tires...is that true (my local dealer told me this)?

TIA

#3 ·
I just put a roll around jack under the hitch and raise the rear of the tractor. With the trans in neutral (pull the pin if you've got a hydro?) you can then drape, adjust, and spin the tires.

What your dealer told you is intriguing, however if you've got Ag tires or other "aggessive" tread design I think you'd still end up jacking up the tractor.

Ev

#4 ·
Lay them out nice and straight on the lawn and back on to roughly the center of the chains. Then deflate half way wrap and hook chains. Then inflate and adj. Should be good to go!

#5 ·
No. 1 suggestion: NOT to put the chains on the tractor, the night the big storm is supposed to hit. They might not be for your sized tires, OR, you may have ended up with only 1/2 pair (only enough for 1 wheel), thanks to the previous owner.

I put mine on, back in October.
The second set went on, the weekend later.
The third set didn't make it to the wheels. They're about 6 inches short in length and 2 inches in width. Supposed to have been sized for the tires that I had. Well, that tractor now sits under a tarp covered with 8 inches of snow, with a brand new plow on it, and chainless. It's not there only because of the chains, we gotz an engine problem, too.
Luckily, I've got 2 other tractors, plus a few walk behind blowers, and long handled shovels to work with.

#6 ·
i jack up the rear. hang the chains. turn the wheel. tighten the chains.

#7 ·
Put my first set ever of tire chains on my Sears yard tractor yesterday. I was able to do it without any special effort. I laid the chains over the top of the tire and was able to reach around the tire to connect the back link first, then the front link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.