My Tractor Forum banner

RX75 Drive Belt - How-To?

24K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Invalidsession 
#1 ·
Hey all! I'm new to this forum and new to the world of riding mower and new to the world of John Deere. I'm a huge newb basically!

Anyways, I've been trying to figure out how to change and adjust the drive belt on my RX75 and can't figure it out for the life of me. I've searched on here and did a basic internet search and can't find much information about this mysterious model at all. I did however find a diagram of the deck assembly from the JD website but still can't figure it out. Even my father-in-law came over today to see if he could do it...no dice.

Can anyone confirm if this is a home mechanic type of repair and/or offer some suggestions to get me started in the right direction?

Thanks guys!
Jen

#2 ·
Jen, the RX 75 isn't really mysterious, you just have to remember it's an 18 to 21 year old machine, so most info has passed it by. It sounds like you need the deck belt routing right?, if so I'll try to get a picture for you, if you are trying the transmission belt, please don't, leave that for a pro

#4 ·
To think I graduated high school when this thing was built! :fing20:

Hey Joe, I'm not sure what all the technical names for the belts are, but it's the one that runs to the deck and then goes to the back where the motor is. Is the transmission belt the one that makes it move? Whichever one, since it's fallen off and is extremely loose, the tractor barely moves when I put it in gear.

Thanks for the help! And for the welcome Jim. :)
Jen

#5 ·
#7 ·
By George thats it! I feel so stupid. I can change the belt on my Land Rover but I can't change the belt on this darn tractor. New animal and guess I'm just playing chicken with it.

Seeing the "spring loaded arm" (thank you so much for naming these bits and pieces) I know there has got to be a way to adjust the tension and get this belt tightened up enough to drive. A point in the right direction on how to do this would be lovely. :)

I got a purty freshly sharpened blade to go back on this thing and I'll show that grass what I'm made of!

#8 ·
Jen, the belt is "self adjusting" if you are getting complete movement of all linkages when you engage the blade belt, and the spring loaded arm is moving freely, and the spring is not broken, then it's time for a new belt for the deck.
Deere part # m112006

#9 ·
That's Joe. I can't see if the spring is broken or not but the spring loaded arm was very easy pushed in by hand. Sound like I still need a belt?

Does the owners manual have instruction on how to change this belt? I don't have the manual but I see them come up on ebay every now and then. Of course, by the time I win one it will be fall! rofl Ughh, trying to keep a good sense of humor about it.

#10 ·
Even with the belt off you should have a fair amount of tension on the arm if you pull it back with your hand. Owners manual most likely will not have instructions for the replacement. That would be in the tech manual which would be pricey to purchase on a mower that old. It's a pretty straight forward job to replace. You can do it! Does everything feel like it's moving when you pull the lever to turn the deck on?? Still wondering if you're not having trouble there?

#12 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence! My father in law came over a few weeks ago to look at it since he's retired and has more time than me. He is very handy chap and he claimed that he couldn't do it.

As soon as this 110 degree weather is gone, I'll flip the ole girl over and see if I can't figure it out.

I'll report back and maybe even take some pics while I'm doing it and create a little how-to guide to post.

Wish me luck!

#14 ·
Joe, i'm brand spanking new to this forum and have just changed the deck belt on my freshly purchased RX75, here goes;
First, I lifted the rear tyres up onto a couple of crates to give some room.
Second, lower the deck to it's lowest position.
Third, take a peek from the left side of the beast at the rear upper deck plate and you should see an arm sitting on a pin and secured in place by a split pin.
Fourth, remove the pin and wiggle the deck ***'y free of the pin.
Now you will be able to route the belt around the whole deck support ***'y and around the respective pulleys.
Hope that helps !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.