My Tractor Forum banner

Ingersoll 3012 Garden Tractor

14K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  louofm1 
#1 · (Edited)
Ingersoll 3012 Garden Tractor-For Sale

Excellent heavy duty tractor 1991 or 1992 model - $475. It has a 12.5HP Vanguard engine needs to be fixed or replaced....I believe it's seized but not 100% sure. It just stopped all of a sudden and I couldnt get it started. Hydraulics, pto, tranny, deck (hydraulic life deck), etc...work great. Machine only has about 350 hours of use. These 3000 series Ingersolls currently sell new for about $6000-7000....there is nothing different from an older vs newer Ingersoll except for the higher horsepower engine

See picture in my avatar ..... I have more detailed pictures available via email if you send me your email address...i'll forward you the pictures. I have not yet listed this on craigslist, etc but will do so soon.

At this time, I dont have the money or knowledge to repair or replace the engine. Also, my wife's aunt just sold her vacation home and is giving me her old mower to help me keep my grass cut. I dont have the space to keep both mowers so I have to let my beloved Ingersoll go. The RM44 deck is worth more than my selling price. It has many new parts and is a very good machine....buyer wont be disappointed!! It's located near Flint, MI

Sorry it's not washed but here is a picture

See less See more
#4 ·
louofm1
I think i can understand your position, but I also think you may be making a big mistake.
I think you'd be better off asking for help fixing it, for I have a feeling that it could be something as simple as low oil, electrical safety switch, etc....
I'm no expert at anything, but from what little that you described I just don't see big problems.
You gotta do what ya gotta do, so good luck, and wish you the best.

#5 ·
I know i'll be kicking myself later ....but my circumstances make it impossible to keep .... plus I have something else coming my way. Even if I throw a tarp over it, I wouldnt want it sitting outside through a michigan winter. There is no way I would have the funds to fix it for a long time.

However, I appreciate everyone's advice on all this.

There is definate interest in the machine .....so i hope it goes to someone who will keep it for a long time (and not someone just interested in fixing and reselling). Couple people from this forum have expressed interest. Anyone interested send me a PM and I'll get in touch with you. I dont want to post my cell number on a public forum

#9 ·
Posted on the link, but will repeat here.
Congratulations! IMHO, this is about the next best thing to an Ingersoll! I used them almost exclusively for 30 years! Right up until I was introduced to the Ingersoll. Two of my sons still run them!

I bought one from a dealer for parts some years ago because it was stuck in gear. I stopped at another dealer a week or so later and was telling him about it. He said to bring it in, he would fix it in about 20 or 30 minutes. He did! Said "how" was a trade secrete! I was willing to accept that to get a fine running tractor! Hope the info helps you!

#8 ·
I guess letting that tractor go north of the border is not as bad as selling missile technology to the Koreans but CGT already has enough tractors. This is something of a stealth purchase as this is the first time he has cracked open his wallet for a "new" Ingersoll and now all Ingersolls may at risk.:banghead3

Nonetheless I think Lou has been fortunate to lay his hands on what is probably another fine tractor and not a big box replica.:trink39:

#11 ·
I guess letting that tractor go north of the border is not as bad as selling missile technology to the Koreans but CGT already has enough tractors. This is something of a stealth purchase as this is the first time he has cracked open his wallet for a "new" Ingersoll and now all Ingersolls may at risk.:banghead3
Actually, this is the second Ingy I've bought out of Michigan. I just don't brag about what I have, like some people I know. :ROF

#18 ·
Happy...........

Well ........... maybe.....

Lou got less than he wanted for the tractor.

I paid more than what I wanted to for the tractor.

Lou got rid of a problem tractor and his "ear-ache" problem.

I took a risk on this non-runner but a calculated one. :praying:

Probably the happiest person is Lou's wife, in all of this. :hide: :ROF

If it turns out to be something not too expensive to fix, then maybe Lou will end up :crybaby: but he will be able to tell his wife "I told you so." :ROF

#26 ·
Lou,
I visited CGT on Thursday to pick up a mower deck I purchased from him - more on that in another thread.
Anyway when I pulled in a few moments after ten, he already had the ingy off his trailer, and I helped him lower the "demonstrator" so he could roll that off.

I was going to tell you he had it running, but that would have been cruel. After seeing his passion close up and getting his knowledge without the interference of keyboard I can tell you that it probably won't take him long.

Sorry you had to part with it, but I hope the simplicity works out.

#27 ·
First off, that's "Demonstrator" with a capital "D", not a small d.

Secondly, I'm preparing an invoice for the time spent answering all of your questions. :ROF

Thirdly, there is still much to do before the new shop is finished so I can get at Lou's EX and there is one other tractor that is ahead of it. Yesterday, I re-arranged things in the storage trailer and both tractors are residing on the mezzanine. As it stands now, I am totally full. My greatest fear is running across more deals that I just can't refuse. :praying:

#29 ·
By the way, I had to insert this final picture of my son Alex (almost 3) sitting on the old 3012. It was taken just a couple of days before she was sold. Everyday (and multiple times a day) Alex asks ...."daddy ...wheres the tractor?" I tell him that it went Bye Bye ...but that we will have another soon. Its such a cute picture, I think I will have it printed and framed. He'll love it!

I could not go outside and mow without him wanting to sit on my lap the entire time. He and his twin sister would take turns on daddy's lap.

#31 ·
Luke that pic is just heartbreaking!

I just hope one day you'll be able to explain it to him.

If your going to ride your kids on there when mowing use extreme caution (personally I wouldn't do it, although I was able to on my big wheel Case models - do to the fender design that totally encloses them in the drivers area - and never on hills). Show them the deck and explain to them there are some knifes under there that spin real fast and can't tell the difference between feet, hands and grass. Watch there legs by the rear wheel if they get a leg caught it will pull them under in a heart beat. In my experience the most dangerous time of all is when backing up- kids have a habit of following you, always look back before backing up, you would be surprised at how many kids get hurt every year.

#35 ·
Im bumping this thread. Its been 4 years and Im curious to learn what ever happened to the old 3012. Caseguy2 ...did you ever get it running?

Updates, pictures, etc are welcome.

BTW ....the Allis 912 is still running great and serves me well. Its an excellent machine. However, I must admit, I do miss the old Ingy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.