My Tractor Forum banner

Ford 8N Belly Mower

23K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  JohnW 
#1 ·
I currently have a 5 foot King Kutter finish mower that I pull behind my 1951 Ford 8N. Due to space changes, I am thinking about getting a belly mower. What would you guys recommend? Any ideas on where to pick up a good used one? I see a lot of 6 foot belly mowers out there, but the current mower is a 5 footer and does well. Would you recommend a belly mower over a pull behind PTO finish mower? Will the cut be just as good with a belly mower or better? I usually don't move much out of the Lawn and Garden section of MTF, but figured I would run this by you guys since the guys in the Lawn and Garden section are so helpful.

#2 ·
a belly mower will set you back some big bucks witht he pto drive line direction changer.. woods made a unit that fit the N's.. plus you will need to come up with a cbale lift system fromt he 3pt.. AND it will kill your ground clearance... yes it will run a 6' finish mower fine.. and will give a cut like a rider lawnmower.. just like a rear finish mower will.

soundguy

#4 ·
I agree with Ken. Once you put the belly mower on you will have a big lawn mower. Unless it has turf tires and if you have some hills you are mowing you might tear up the lawn. I sold my 3pt mower because I don't like looking over my shoulder. I've cut down many of pine tree saplings from the swing on the 3pt mower. I have a couple of cub lo-boys I mow with belly mowers now and save my fords for other work.
Used 3pt finish mowers are easier and cheaper to come by than the belly mowers, at least around here.
Belly or 3pt, It's your call.

Kirk

#6 ·
I have to agree with the others, keep the finish mower and the ability to use your tractor for other jobs. For the cost of the belly mower you will be a long way toward a shed or even a portable car port to protect them.

#7 ·
I have my eye on a 5 or 6 foot Woods belly mower that was on a 1951 Furgusen that looks just like the 8N for only $250. I only use the Ford for mowing, so that is not a problem. As long as I can take it off in the winter time and hook up a rear blade, I am good to go......although I haven't even had to start up the Ford this winter as my John Deere 318 handles the snow fine with its front blade. Decisions decisions.

#9 ·
I had a Woods manual downloaded at one time, cannot find it right now, but I am almost positive the Ferguson and Fords use the same mounts. You can download them your self from the Woods site. A Woods belly mower cuts SWEET and if I were only going to use the tractor for mowing in a lawn type setting that is the way to go.

The Super A I have used with a Woods belly mower is just so nice when it comes to getting around the wife installed obstacle course when compared to the 3 point finish mower I usually use.

#10 ·
is just so nice when it comes to getting around the wife installed obstacle course.
Why is that? Why is it when we have a nice easy place to mow, the women decide that were having it too easy and plant, "things," out there that we now have to go around! You know, things, like trees, rock gardens, bird baths and the list goes on! I think it's a conspiracy thing and all women are involved in it. Oh well, I guess we just couldn't do without them though, could we. But please keep that statement hush, hush!

#11 ·
I was talking to one of the guys at work the other day and he was tellling me about his is always wanting to plant trees, most specifically in the back yard in the middle of the lateral lines. Claims it happens every year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.