My Tractor Forum banner

Tow behind lawn leaf vac

54K views 52 replies 25 participants last post by  oldmarine 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Looking to purchase a tow behind lawn leaf vac to attach to my Husqvarna 20hp 46in for my large 1.5 acre annoying leave infested yard. Any thoughts or recomendations. Thanks All.

#3 ·
#7 ·
I have an agri fab as well. Great machine and it won't break the bank. Got mine at Lowes on clearence last year. They even threw in the remote hose kit. :trink39:

#8 ·
I like my trac vac. though I sometimes I had one of their larger models so I wouldnt have to dump as often; you'll definitely need a larger one for that size yard
I bought mine used a year ago, needing carb work from sitting with old gas inside, working like a champ so far this year
if I had to buy another I would do so off season; as during leaf season the prices shoot way up even on used; I paid $225 for mine last year and drove 2 hours away to find it (was a Craigslist buy) because I don't mind mowing or snow removal but have always hated hand raking whether it was from a freshly mowed/overgrown yard or leaf season; and that was as-was condition; plugged carb and all; I had to "rob" a carb and gas tank from another machine (my brother's logsplitter) to be able to use the trac vac last Fall; that problem is now solved, everyone now has it's own "right" carb and gas tank once again; but when I found out that a guy that I know, bought an identical twin to my machine this past summer at the local annual tractor/Threshermens show for a measly $50 that only needed a new recoil starter spring I was pizzed.
mine's an '87 model, the one with the 8 cu ft 16" square X about 40" tall "box" as the catcher, not the ones that use the regular yard cart; I did see one of those type go at a local estate sale last summer for ~$525-550. and did see a few at local garage sales this yr but never asked since I have no place to put another;

there was an ad for one like mine at a garage sale about a month ago, like an hour away from me (Craigslist) that had one like mine listed for $50 "Ran when last used" but that was 4-5 years ago by the sellers estimate. so they are out there.

#11 ·
I am going to look into a Cyclone Rake, I have had a very rough and trying experience with the 8hp DR lawn and leaf vac, tow behind....

In 2010, my first unit (which was later replaced free of charge) blew through 10 rubber engine couplers that prevent the engine from being damaged when there was a clog. Nothing was clogging the machine but 10 rubber gears were shredded and I replaced them.
For 2011 and 2012, the replacement machine experienced 5 rubber coupler failures but this was a big improvement over the original machine. In addition I have experienced the following issues with this machine:
1) Oil dipstick shakes loose and allows oil to spew from engine – needs to be monitored closely.
2) 4 large bolts holding the frame of the unit to the hitch have sheared off twice – I was finally able to find strong enough bolts from local hardware store to prevent them from shearing. (grade 8 bolts)
3) The universal deck adaptor is of such a shape that even slightly moist grass and leaves create clogs in the output chute just off the deck. This does require shutting off your tractor due to closeness to mower blades. The adaptor seems to collect the grass and leaves at a large area at the bottom and they quickly have to launch up and out to a 45 degree angle that gets to be too steep when they are heavy and therefore backup and create a clog.
4) The black plastic thumb-pad screws to allow putting on and off 6 inch collection hose seem to only last 10 to 20 uses and when they break off you will need to have a pair of pliers to address the next, most important, issue.
5) Finally and most significantly, the 8hp lawn and leaf vac is very particular about wanting dry leaves with no twigs or sticks (sticks become twigs under a turning mower deck!) due to 1) the internally ribbed hose that enters a 90 angle plastic chute at the rear of the ‘box’ catching twigs in the hose or the 90 angle chute itself being a tough turn for the twigs and/or 2) the coupler between the hose and the 90 degree plastic angle warping outward within the 6 inch flex hose causing a greater surface area for twigs to grab on and clog the hose. I found myself getting about 15-20 feet of travel while using the product before I had to dismount, undo the hose at the rear of the box and unclog the hose, reattach the hose and get going again.

I have a 3 acre yard and I have found the product to be unusable in my particular situation.

#12 ·
I also have the Cyclone Rake. Have had it for eight years and it has really proved it's worth. Especially like the 20 foot long vac hose for flower beds and under shrubs and hedges. Sometimes there are areas you just can't get with a backpack blower.
MikeC

#13 ·
I just posted this same info in the JD forum to a similar question, but it appears to a different audience. I have a TracVac 880. I am perfectly happy with the results I get. But, I'll be the first to admit I do not get 100% clean up. Part of the problem is the combination of leaf leak out the front of the deck and exhaust routing on the JD x728 blowing leaves out of the path of the deck. The bigger issue is leaves never quite all fall, so there is a perpetual, though decreasing replenishment of the leaves on the lawn.

As mentioned by a few, the TracVac does not collapse, nor fold up. It takes a significant chunk of storage space. The best I can offer there is, I store stuff inside it over the winter, like a trimming mower and a wheelbarrow. Not optimal.

I made this youtube video of my set up working the leaves: http://youtu.be/njiJli4PpXI

Here is a little time-lapse from that same day:

Before:

2 Passes:

Half Finished: (note the leaves left behind)

Finished, at least for a day, you can see a few trees still clinging to some leaves, and my entire lawn is surrounded on all four sides by second generation PA hardwood. There is no such thing as the "end of leaf clean-up"

Disclaimer - These pictures and video are from last year.

#14 ·
Jere, your Trac Vac does a nice job. I also have perpetual leaf fall. Certain beech leaves fall all winter long and some stay on until spring. As to the exhaust pipe, I read somewhere on here that a member fashioned a curved extension pipe, for a different reason. That might work for you. That's a nice piece of property you have. If storage is a problem I would put up a bulding or shed. Just sayin'. :)

#15 ·
I bought a pull vac last Fall, I had no problem liking it right off. I have used it three times this year,as you can see I need to get to work on the leaves again(now!) I think it will take two more vacs. for the year.
Craftsman from Sears, I also have a hose ext. for hard to get to spots.
If I remember right, it list for $1600.00 last year. there were discounts at the time, I gave $1300.00

Attachments

#16 ·
My dad bought a used Agrifab off craigslist a few years back. The guy said it smoked and didnt run right. Dad paid $75 for the whole thing. Brought it home and had his buddy look at the engine. All it needed was a new plug, oil change (previous guy had to much oil in it as well) and clean the carb and it has run great ever since. I had had to weld up the front of the trailer because the guy must have stored it outdoors or never cleaned it out right.
I got an Agrifab motor and blower off my dads neighbor after he decided to use an impact gun to start the motor when the pull string broke. I got another motor for it and built a box for my 3pt and used it this year. Works real good (have some minor mods to do yet) plenty of suction.
Like said before, I dont think you will ever pick up 100% of all leaves. My neighbor has a cyclone rake and he never gets 100% either.

#17 ·
I build my vacuum 20 years or so ago. Got the blower pattern off a neighbors vacuum and built it. I used larger vanes than his had and had to double the back to keep the vanes from hitting when turning. I also used 14 gauge metal his was16 gauge. Over the years I have built a number if pick up chutes as that is the main reason for clogs. Bigger is better when building chutes, the last one I built is raised 4 1/2" above the deck and raps back under below the deck. I use 6" black plastic drainage pipe from the chute up to the blower as my blower is mounted to the back of the tractor. It only make one long
90 degree bend and supports it's self. The tube from the blower to the trailer I picked up at the dealer used as some one wanted theirs replaced. I have used it 10 years or so and it's as good as when I bought it. I use gator blades on my deck and after the leafs go through the blower the trailer is packed so tight that I disconnect the hose and dump box and all as my box just slides into the trailer. It's a lot easier to do that then to dig them out. The trailer and box is 40 cubic ft. The only place my deck will blow out leafs in on the pickup side so I just mow with that side in and a couple of trips up the center get it all. I added a cover over the screened are a couple years ago to keep all the dust at the back of the trailer.

#18 ·
I just took the plunge post season and ordered and had delivered the Cyclone Vac Z10 - putting it together now and quality seems quite superior. My arm's in a sling but still able to put it together. I never have heard back from DR on a possible refund in spite of letter to their President (my horror story above). I loaded up with all the extras - wall mount, 3 point hitch mechanism, auto unloader, jack stand, cover. Only catch is the 3 point hitch attachment did not ship but packing list says it did - I sent Woodland Products a message on their website to see if they can verify it went with the original shipment (maybe the weights can be matched up) so I will get an early taste of their customer service in the morning! Crossing my finger!

My take is that the cyclone is the far superior product to DR due to:

1) Tube width
2) Shorter Tube
3) Side Entry of tube into shredder (not behind after 90 degree angle)
4) Clips to secure tube instead of painful hose clamps

I must admit I am a little nervous about the lack of the articulating trailer but the FIXED thing is how they obviously achieve the shorter hose.

#19 ·
Jere, that looks like a 1080 you're pulling there? I had a 580 that I ran for fifteen years, but I caught a rock in the cutter head and sheered the drive shaft. New engine, or new trac-vac? I went with the 1080 just in time for leaf cleanup and I am so much happier with the larger capacity, as well as the larger discharge hose. Anyway, I see that in the past 15 years Trac-Vac has done nothing to remedy that lame as heck kick stand. I've been toying with installing some kind of trailer wheel with crank, but I haven't found the right one. It's so much closer to the ground than a typical on-road trailer. Any thoughts or ideas you're had on this?

#20 ·
My TracVac is an 880, with the 8 hp B&S, vs the 1080 that I think now carries an 11 hp engine. Both use the same trailer size, and I assume the 1080 carries even more weight on the tongue which I can hardly imagine. You are right, that kick-stand is nearly useless. I also considered a crank-up tongue stand, but never found one short enough to lower onto my tractor hitch. I do not have a 3ph, that would allow the hydraulics to do the heavy lifting. But I did put together a very inelegant, workable solution. The tongue has two mount points for the hose hanger to allow you to hang hose off either side to accommodate discharge on either side. I used the off side mount to sit down over a large dolly wheel on a long piece of readi-rod. Still takes some grunt to lift it on and off, but then I can wheel it around by hand.

Here it is in my mini-barn:

And, rolled up to the back of my tractor waiting for me to hitch it up:

And, as it drops out of the way after I lift the tongue off it:

Looks like I could shorten the readi-rod a little, but it hasn't been a problem since I lift with my legs anyway. Just an idea, not a solution. If you find a very short crank lift for the tongue, please share your source information.

#21 ·
I honestly never understood why people vac leaves. I mean, I guess it's all personal preference, and if vaccing leaves up makes you happy, then by all means. But I Live in Northern N.Y. Maple Syrup country, and most people just mow over the leaves. I have a couple friends that happen to live right in the woods with maple trees covering most of the property. They will vac the leaves because the ground cover can get to be several inches deep and simply mowing them does not work out well. But that is extream leaf litter. I have never raked or vacced leaves.

So for those of you who do, I was wondering what your take on this practice is? Is this simply a matter of cosmetic preference? Or is there some practical reason for going to this effort? From a fertilizer point of view, you not only get nutrients from the leaves rotting back into the ground, but the leaf cover attracts bugs that typically are also beneficial to the overall soil quality.

P.S.
This question also goes for grass clippings. Are there practical reason for taking up grass clippings that I have not noticed in all the years I have been mowing my lawn?

#23 ·
... This question also goes for grass clippings. Are there practical reason for taking up grass clippings that I have not noticed in all the years I have been mowing my lawn?
The grass clippings will eventually build up into a mat, and hinder water adsorption, etc. Picking up the clippings as you mow helps prevent that. It lets the lawn breath. If you don't pick up the clippings, it's a good idea to de-thatch the lawn once a year.

With leaves, I think it's mostly for cosmetic reasons. This year, instead of picking up the leaves, I plan on using my recently purchased Haban Flail-Mo. A flail mower will pulverize dry leaves and almost turn them into dust. That way they will break down faster and add the nutriments back into the soil.

#22 ·
I have an old E-Z Vac that I bought with a Bolens 1256. It works great.

The big difference with it is that the engine/blower is mounted to the tractor.

The big thing that determines how well they pick up is the mower deck. If it's one that tends to blow stuff out the front like my Cub Cadet LTX 1045, you won't get everything. If it's like the one on the 1256, it leaves the yard really clean.

#25 ·
Singalo

So for those of you who do, I was wondering what your take on this practice is? Is this simply a matter of cosmetic preference? Or is there some practical reason for going to this effort? From a fertilizer point of view, you not only get nutrients from the leaves rotting back into the ground, but the leaf cover attracts bugs that typically are also beneficial to the overall soil quality.

P.S.
This question also goes for grass clippings. Are there practical reason for taking up grass clippings that I have not noticed in all the years I have been mowing my lawn?[/QUOTE]

we never did use a baggin system on our yards...just mowed...then in fall raked the leaves & burned them but 6 yrs ago got a JD LT155 with a 'FREEDOM' 42 deck....which is a fulltime mulchin deck...there is no grass chute on this deck.. have used it ever since... it does a super job...no clipping seen.....& in fall I just use a leaf blower to get the leaves out in the yard so wife can drive over them..wat used to take 2 weeks to do....we now do in 2-4 hours..I have since gotten 2 other JD LT 155's (with 'FREEDOM' decks) to add to my collection.. this deck to me is the only effective & true mulchin deck

#26 ·
Singalo

P.S.
This question also goes for grass clippings. Are there practical reason for taking up grass clippings that I have not noticed in all the years I have been mowing my lawn?
we never did use a baggin system on our yards...just mowed...then in fall raked the leaves & burned them but 6 yrs ago got a JD LT155 with a 'FREEDOM' 42 deck....which is a fulltime mulchin deck...there is no grass chute on this deck.. have used it ever since... it does a super job...no clipping seen.....& in fall I just use a leaf blower to get the leaves out in the yard so wife can drive over them..wat used to take 2 weeks to do....we now do in 2-4 hours..I have since gotten 2 other JD LT 155's (with 'FREEDOM' decks) to add to my collection.. this deck to me is the only effective & true mulchin deck[/QUOTE]

But why do you blow the leaves off with a blower when you could just mulch them like you do the grass?

#27 ·
Jere, may not be the most elegant answer, but as you say it is workable. I think I can get away with something like that until I can find a crank that will fit. IF I do, you'll be the first I share it with.

Singalo, I vac the leaves for a few reasons. First, I have a lot of mature trees in the front yard and we live on the pinnicle of a ridge and it's windy. If I don't vac the leaves they become my neighbor's problem, and I get along real good with my neighbor and would like it to stay that way. Second, we and my neighbors on each side have been maintaining an organic environment for the past 7-8 years. No fertilizers, herbicides or mulch from places that deliver that junk. We do this because we have free range chickens, bees, and later this year probably alpaca. So collecting the leaves, and some grass I make an excellent compost, and a **** of a lot of it, that we use in the gardens, and flower beds, and around trees and shrubs to control weeds and feed the plants/shrubs/trees. The last reason is the yard looks a whole lot nicer with the leaves cleaned up. I hate thatching, tends to tear up the ground. I've only aerated using a manual aerator I borrowed, and that was too much like work, but I think that with my new JD1026R I would be able to handle a real aerator on the 3ph, so this might be the year it gets down right.

#28 ·
P S we don't have a 'mat' of grass or leaves so we don't need athatcher & don't use a plugger too

#29 ·
Singalo... we blow them away from bldg's & stuff

#30 ·
Jere and Rans, I might have a solution for you guys. Its based on what Jere already has done. Leave the re rod at the lenght, but weld a nut or a nut coupler (for more surface area) then run the re rod thru the nut. Then weld a small bar or flat stock on top of the re rod. Now you can just spin the wheel up and down. Another option would be to get a screw jack made for scaffold and weld or clamp it on. But then you have to turn it up and down from the bottom.

#31 ·
I had something like this in mind having used on on a utility trailer I had:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200414698_200414698

The issue here is the minimum retractable length. I've looked at about 20 online and the best I've seen is 11 1/5". And these are meant to bolt to a 2"x5" tube frame and the trac vac has a 1/4" x 2" bar, unless I attached it to the free rotating hitch bar, but that could get ugly.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.