My Tractor Forum banner

Trouble with old tractor seats

6K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Tractor-Holic 
#1 ·
Hi Guys:
I have a Craftsman and my friend has a Cub Cadet and both have
cracked plastic covering the sponge stuffing inside the seat, I am not referring to the engine either ,the trouble is once the plastic seat coverring splits open if it rains and your tractor is outdoors guess what that sponge soaks up water and the steel bottomn will not let it out,So if you sit down on the cracked seat you get soaked ANYBODY have a fix that doesnot cost too much????

#3 ·
It doesnt matter what brand tractor, but once the plastic/vinyl starts to crack and break, most seats go real bad quick sometimes. Like welder said, you could wrap a heavy trash bag over it. Or try and drill a few holes in the seat pan to let the water out, but thats not a guarantee to work either.

#5 ·
Age old problem.Take a look at a seat on a Murray-They have what seems like rubber covering that slips on.I've re-engineered a few to fit on different mowers(bolt up didn't match).Even Snapper has come out with a new type seat cover,kinda like the murrays.It's made of rubber as well,thick,well made,and just slips over the old one. Looks like they've findley woke up to the fact that thin plastic won't last very long.Here's one on a Snap I redid.:trink40:

Attachments

#6 ·
Well thanks for the info Big boy. But do you want to tell us where you are getting them from so we can have nice seats too. Come on spill your guts and tell us.:Stop:

#16 ·
I like steel pan type seats best--no foam cushion to turn into a sponge after the vinyl cracks that'll make for a soggy butt after a rain!...they are pretty comfortable too,despite having no padding--or you can buy the padded seat cover if you wish....

I have tried duct tape and wide black electrical tape to cover torn up tractor seats--it soon oozes a gummy adhesive out of the seams and gets on your pants ,makes a mess ,and sitting on a sticky seat isn't very comfortable...

I thought about trying some of that plastic sheeting they cover boats with ,that shrinks when you heat it with a heat gun or hair dryer,that would probably work,but I haven't been able to score a small peice of it to try out....for now,I have removed the petrified vinyl off my seats and put a thick "contractor" plastic trash bag thats thick, over the foam,but it only takes a few rides before a hole gets poked in them and the foam once again turns into a sponge...

The yellow seat on my 90's Yard-Man has held up remarkably well,no cracks in the cover yet--I think it has a closed cell foam that wont absorb water too,unlike the usual sponge rubber foam...its been stored in a shed,but with no special care...I'm going to get a few more steel pan seats for my Sears tractors if I see any cheap at swap meets or flea markets..possibly an "antique" cast iron one if the price is right...no seat covers or foam to cause greif!..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.