My Tractor Forum banner

Loading tires

56K views 164 replies 92 participants last post by  squatch 
#1 ·
How many gallons of RV Anti-Freeze should I buy to load my tires? The back tires are 23x10.50-12.. Also Tractor Supply has something to put the fluid in the tires without breaking the bead...does anyone know what the heck it called? Thanks in Advance.............Gary

#143 ·
Loaded my tires earlier this week, I put about 7 gallons in each tire. I broke the tire down and filled it up to the bottom of the valve stem.

#147 ·
Last week I loaded my tires. I used the adapter listed below in the link. Looked up my wheels on the chart in the link.

Did some experimenting with different products in ratio to the gallons my tires hold and froze them in the old up-right freezer. Best combination I found for my area (northern zone 3) is 5 gallons anti freeze and 17 gallon windshield washer fluid (-20 degree) for 22 gallon total per wheel (R3 turfs).

This is the best combo of products for MY needs, area, and uses. NOT even going to debate toxic, non toxic. :lalala:

It has made a BIG difference how my tractor works and handles. :thThumbsU

Good luck
Wyo
-------------
http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle...-water-1170832
http://www.rimguard.biz/Documentatio...foragtires.htm

#148 ·
just my $.02 we use windshield washer fluid in out kubota L35, mainly for the center of gravity more so than traction. in all the years we have run the tractor it has never hurt the rims if anything i think it might have protected them, antifreeze works just as well and can either be much cheaper or much more expensive, if you buy new its cheaper to put washer fluid in but if you go to a mechanic/garage and ask them for the used antifreeze they will be more than happy to give it to you because now they dont have to pay to get rid of it.
as for how to fill it the best 2 ways i have found is to get the adapter from tsc (ours is probably 15+ years old and works great) attach it to a length of garden hose and a large funnel, ziptie the funnel to the top of a ladder and flip the bottle over and wait for it to fill, it takes most of the day (when your not paying attention) to put 30 (+-) gallons in each tire. the fastest way i have found is just to ask the tire shop to do it, im not sure how many shops do, but ours has an actual fluid pump for loading tires. they stick one hose in a drum of fluid, one hose on your tire and hook it up to the air supply, ive seen one guy fill 2 full sized tractor tires before they could change the tires on my jeep. if your getting it done when you get a new set of tires they only charge the cost of the fluid.

#149 ·
I put water in the front tires on my SS18 the other day just by pumping it in with a water hose with a 1/4 piece of fuel line scabbed into it. Just slide the fuel line onto the valve stem and turn on the water. Takes just minutes, probably not more than 3.

I'd pump some water in and every little bit I'd take the water hose loose from the spigot to let out air that the water was displacing.

#151 ·
How about foam, there's a place that does it locally. They drill a hole in the side of the tire, pump it full of foam, then plug the hole with a bolt. It sets up solid and weighs a ton, no leaks....ever. They quoted me $65 per tire for a 23x10.5x12, kinda pricey but sounds like its worth it. I'd like to do all four on my big tractor. I did a wheel barrel tire with a can of expanding foam once, worked awesome.

#152 ·
at a lot of work sights they do this to the golf carts. makes them really bumpy.

#153 ·
Foam filled tires are great for being heavy, but absolutely awful for ride quality.

They have no flex, and they will beat you to death unless you have a REALLY well suspended seat. I wouldn't foam fill a GT's tires on a bet.

#154 ·
Even if you have a well suspended seat, the rest of the tractor doesn't and it will get pounded to an early death.

Foam filled tires are for smooth concrete floors, not rough terrain.

#155 ·
Very good points gentlemen, guess I really didn't think about the ride quality of a lawnmower.

#157 ·
#158 ·
I don't know of any GT that would benefit from having 'cooler tires'. Plus, did you look at the pricing of that stuff?

I'll stick with Rim Guard, which most likely adds more wt/gal, and costs a heck of a lot less.

#161 ·
I would use Rim Guard, but I get inhibited propylene glycol for free. I've heard the sales rep will drink a glass of it to prove how safe it is, but I haven't actually seen it myself. It's slightly heavier than water, and contains corrosion inhibitors. I've used various methods to get it into tires, but the last time I used a sprayer type pump. It took about 30 minutes to pump an entire 55 gallon drum into a 17.5-24 tire, and no stopping to let air out.

Attachments

#164 ·
As long as you don't have a FEL, no problem and it will help with stability on the slopes as well. I had a set of 16x6.50-8s loaded with calcium chloride many years ago on the rear of a LT for using the snow blower. There was about 25 lb in each tire.

Front wheel weights are also available. I have a set of 8" cast iron weights that weigh over 30 lb each.

#163 ·
I used my garden sprayer to fill my tires. Just removed the spray end and pushed the hose over the valve stem. Removed it every gallon or two to let the air out. Being able to pressurize the tank made it go pretty fast.

I'm going to try adding WW fluid to the front tires this year. Had some skidding last year when snow plowing. A few pounds might help a little anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.