My Tractor Forum banner

My friend who own junkyard have trojan loader. engine seem blow ton smoke.

8K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  rbaker6336 
#1 ·
#4 ·
How we can be sure if it bad injector? GUy say it been for 10 years.

I show video to my another friend he say sound worn out because can hear knock from this video.

Is there test for injector without remove it?

Thank

#8 ·
How we can be sure if it bad injector? GUy say it been for 10 years...........Is there test for injector without remove it?

Thank
The quickest and most revealing test is to loosen the fuel pipe fitting right at the injector.

While the tractor is running at idle, loosen one injector line at the injector fuel pipe fitting...if the engine slows down or stalls then that injector is operating correctly. Re-tighten that line and proceed to the next injector. IF and WHEN you disconnect a fitting at an injector that does NOT change the engine speed or stall the tractor - this is the injector that is bad or has problems.

This test (to put it into perspective) is much like removing a plug wire from a 4-6-8 cylinder gas engine. The plug wire, once removed, that doesn't change the idle of the engine is the bad one.....

I’m very optimistic when a diesel engine runs badly…even terribly! It’s much better than a diesel that doesn’t run at all. Years of wear and tear just means that fresh rod, main bearings, valve & seat regrind, guides, piston rings and a cylinder bore (or cylinder hone if insignificant taper) and the engine is good to go for many more trouble free years.

Hope this helps.

Mark

#6 ·
I can hear knock like door knock. it would stop when rev it.

how hard to remove injector do we need replace gasket if install on it?

how we test? watch spray? it kind hard to start when hot. just several sec finally start it.

#7 ·
A lot of white smoke that falls to the ground indicates unburned diesel fuel, poor compression, bad injector, was it a very cold day (Below 20 Degrees F) Did it develop full power, did you get to see the tractor work with a load?

I would say a very worn engine that may need a complete overhaul.

#9 ·
How I would find injector?

This one is different from my boss because I can't see injector there sound it hide in somewhere.

I can't say but it should be gm or Detroit diesel. 4 or 6 cylinders.

Guy say it do that way since 1985 that he bought from company.

#10 ·
Detroit or a GM 2 stroke probably has the racks and injectors under the valve cover, check out where the fuel lines go to. They are an entirely different critter than your usual diesel engine.

unless you are a good Detroit mechanic, I would say pass this loader by.

They are an endangered species that could not be made to pass the EPA requirements economocally.

#12 ·
Hi i have a trojan that looks just like that same model. mine is a 134a with ud 282 inline 6 international . cant tell for sure what this is. like Milwaukee said is to do a cyl bal test by disconnecting one injector line at a time checking the rpm drop on each hole. but it sure looks like unburned fuel to me. Yes they make an injector pump tester amy good diesel shop will have one.Digger

#13 ·
Been around Detroit's, 4-71s, 6-71s, 91s etc. for years. It doesn't sound like a Detroit to me. Sounds like an International, might be wrong though. Engine has to be at running temperature to make a fuel evaluation. Old equipment like this invariably has bad thermostats in them and the engines never come up to temp. Hence, white smoke. Black smoke, worn out injectors, I doubt very much if the pump pressure is to high. Blue smoke, Low compression, rings shot. As far as the compression knock, 80% of it should disappear when up to operating temperature and then it should only knock at idle. If it knocks at operating RPMs, go buy another loader, it'll be cheaper. JMHO. PJ

#14 ·
I just watched the video and from the looks of it its got a bad injector or a couple .If an injector goes bad it will blow either white or black smoke and will smell like unburned diesel . If that is a detroit and it was cold it will smoke especially when they have some time put on them when theyre new its not so bad but after years of use they smoke and knock when theyre cold almost to the point of making you think its about to come apart lol. the easiest way to ive found to check for a bad injector is pull the exhaust manifold off then run it see which hole the smoke is coming from and thats the bad injector . to check if the rings are bad simply look at the crankcase vent tube the more smoke coming from it means that the rings are worn if very little to almost none rings are fine . if it looks like a steam engine stack with it dumping out bad rings time to walk away or talk him down on price quite a bit . as far as the rest of the engine if it knocks above idle look elsewhere if the knock goes away above idle its fine also check oil pressure if its within specs the engine should be fine below specs probably needs a oil pump and rod and main bearings at the least

#15 ·
that video made my hair tingle ... if you feel a strange sensation when viewing it, it's from your DNA mutating at a basic level from the amount of sheer, undiluted pollution and unburned fuel pouring out of this engine ... right now there's a polar bear out there somewhere weeping because of this loader

I agree 100% about the bad injector pump - might even be more than one is funky ... tell him to get that thing fixed, or part it out and move on! ... he's causing as much damage to the environment every time he uses that smoke machine as if every MTF member was mowing grass with every mower they own all at the same time :sidelaugh

seriously though,I wish your friend the best of luck - hopefully it will be easy and inexpensive to repair it ... and with all of the cylinders running, it will be like a whole new loader for him too - one with easier starting, better fuel economy and LOTS more power without fogging everything out

at least if he repairs it he will either have a really nice loader, or one that he could actually sell to get another one - he wouldn't get much for it the way it is now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.