My Tractor Forum banner

Snapper Deck Height 'standard'?

22K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  Pappy 1954 
#1 ·
In the attempt to find a 'standard' (say starting point for deck alignment)
I measured the height of the "Chain adjuster" above the Swivel.

(I was hoping for a factory standard height)
Drove to 2 different dealers!
2 Dealers, 4 Snappers = heights varied from 0.4 to 0.7" of thread above the swivel.

What's your height / opinion etc. ?:banghead3

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Both of mine are different..one is right at 1/2 inch above the swivel ..the other around 5/8. It mows good and level. I think with wear on componets.. the probablity that the mower didn't come from the factory exactly the same on both sides ( maybe one deck arm is a little lower than the other)..stack up of tolerences.. so forth and so on... I'm not sure we can have a standard.Just do the best we can.

#3 · (Edited)
Seems I read recently how they're leveled precisely at the factory. As far as I can tell that's not part of the dealer's setup process.

My wish is to be able to use all 5 height settings. Now #3 sets the deck on the ground. Should be able to set height from 1.5" up to about 4" in 5 steps. (Per Snapper brochure)
Maybe the dealer will let me try one in the showroom to see if those 5 heights
are possible.

#5 ·
Wow...I know this is a "No Duh" statement but somethin ain't right. Not sure what it is though...maybe a few pics will help.

Here's mine on the lowest setting... looks like a golf course when I mow at this level.

And on the third setting...

If any more pictures would help...give a holler.
Don

#6 · (Edited)
Code:
A[CODE]Aa
[/CODE]
Wow...I know this is a "No Duh" statement but somethin ain't right. Not sure what it is though...maybe a few pics will help.

Here's mine on the lowest setting... looks like a golf course when I mow at this level.

And on the third setting...

If any more pictures would help...give a holler.
Don
How high is the thread above the 'swivel'? (ref my earlier photo) You seem to be able to get all 5 heights! Don't recall how far above the lip the blade is. (Lowest might be the spec'd 1.5" cutting height?)
I can't go that low because bottom edge of deck hits at 3'rd height.

Why all the fuss? I'm guessing the several inter-related deck adjustments on my Snapper are out of kilter.
My thought is Snapper designed 5 heights to be
Meaningful - not decorations. I'd love for Snapper to clue us in. Previous owner of my Snapper complained about scalping. I added rollers to minimize that.

#15 ·
Re: My Snapper deck height:
Cooler now, easier to focus instead of wiping off the sweat!

Pulled off the 'spindle cover'. Checked deck level front-to-back = Front was 1"(+) lower than the back!
Adjusted leveling rod to correct that.
Also adjusted side-to-side level. (I'm thinking that needs a locking nut - suspect it may slip?)

#17 ·
Not there yet, Pappy!
Began with both chain adjusters set to 1/2" thread above the swivel. Leveled the deck all around. Still scalped with height at #4.

Raised adjusters to 3/4" thread above the swivel. Mowed yesterday at #5.
Need to go back and check level again. Suspect it may not remain level at all the heights.

Would love to know how factory is able to set it up to allow all 5 cutting heights.
Snapper at local dealer seems to be set like that. Plan to visit another dealer and make some more measurements. (Stay tuned)

Does anyone out there have a deck that doesn't 'hit the floor' even at #1?

#19 ·
Yup - I'm still working on this!
Just got back from Snapper Dealer selling the new Series 24!
(New tank & vent system.)

They kindly let me lower the deck to #1 and take measurements.
Saw1.1" between the bottom of the deck and the floor.
Above the swivels there was only 0.2"!

Will try to 'reverse engineer' these dimensions into my '05 Snapper.

(Wish me luck?):fing20:

#20 · (Edited)
:banghead3 Here's what prevents the deck from dropping to position #!!
The right rear lift arm hits the right deck lift rail.
(Which is not cutout to allow the arm to go up for position #1)
Notice the left deck lift rail has a cutout to permit full travel of the left lift arm.

Pondering whether to duplicate that cutout on the right deck lift rail or leave it alone and be thankful there's at least positions 2 thru 5. :Stop:

History; seems like the cutout version of the RH Lift Rail 7036430, was last used in the Series 20 Snapper. It's been restored in the new Series 24.

Series 21-22-23 RH lift rail 7043848 is not cutout to clear the RH lift arm.

Attachments

#21 ·
So, since I don't like 'hacking' the rail even though I'd do a neat job, I've ordered the new (replacement) cutaway version of the RH deck lifting rail. Should have it in a couple of days.

That will allow the full height adjustment range - no doubt may need tweaking but I'm looking forward to it. :fin

#23 · (Edited)
I stumbled on this because my Series 23 could not drop to position 2 or 1 due to the RH Lift arm blocked by the un-relieved RH Deck Lift Rail.

(7043848 is that part, without the cutaway to clear the Right Lift Arm.)

.......... 7036430 with cutaway was used in Series 20.......

Series 21, 22, and some flavours of Series 23 had the 7043848 RH Rail.

On a hunch, I checked out that part on the new Series 24 drawings some vendors have.

Yup...the relieved version was restored i.e. 7036430. Seeing that and that it's now listed on most sites as a factory authorised replacement for 7043848........I've ordered one!:fing32:

#26 · (Edited)
:crybaby: That's what the Snapper parts guy suggested. That black rail is powder coated & he said, "just paint it red". I don't believe powder coat is easily painted over ...especially painting red over jet black! He made it sound like they 'over-paint' parts all the time at that dealership :fing20:

Moral of the story is; be super careful who you deal with! :banghead3

Did some research and an on-line vendor checked and was told if a Snapper dealer ordered 7036430 he'd receive the red version. The dealer I ordered from said he had no control over which color the Snapper warehouse would send out & acted powerless to request the red version?
Bottom line is I returned the part, was penalized 25% restocking fee - (was told that the dealer would be charged that by the warehouse.)

Might carefully modify the old part afterall, touch it up and put it back in my Snapper!

#27 ·
I have received several "Black" parts,since Sears got into the act, Most have been internal parts, so no problem(except the differential sprocket,which was so thick with paint,that I masked most of it off,and bead blasted the hub and teeth area so it would fit right.)A wheel hub,and a transmission cover, were painted red, with a spray can, and seems to be holding up.On my series 21,the R/H rail doesn't seem to hit the arm,maybe something else is keeping it from going as low as it's supposed to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.