My Tractor Forum banner

1988 Ford Bronco won't run

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Tall Grass 
#1 ·
I went to sart my 1988 Ford Bronco today, and it started fine, faster than ever before. But after running for 3 minutes to warm up, it started running rough, and finally just died. i could restart it and run it for a few seconds, but every time it does the same thing. i checked the plug wires, distributer, coil, and even remove the aircleaner hoses. It always did the same thing. Any ideas? This was suposed to be the truck i use when i get my license, but now it might not unless i fix whats there now, or do away witht eh fule injection all together (something i really don't want to do unless this motor is blown)

#2 ·
If it starts and runs without a miss the motor is fine.. Check the oil and look for problems- gassy smell? white foamish color means water in there and you do have a problem.. If it's OK then the fuel system sounds like the culprit.. Check your fuel tank level and then your fuel pump pressure.. Report back with results

#3 ·
It runs very rough, and theres no problems with the oil other than being in need of changing. My dad says the fuel filter and a wire on the computer comunication port. next time i am at my grandparents i'll look into both of those.

#6 ·
I'd say dad is right,first thing I'd suspect is the fuel filter too!--or the gas itself,expecially if it has sat any length of time..water builds up fast in ethanol gas and it'll go stale in a few months time too..take the filter off,and try not to let any gas escape,catch it in a can and see if its rusty or has water in it--then blow thru the filter and see how restricted it was,if you can barely blow thru it you know its full of crud or water..a fuel pressure test wouldn't be a bad idea too..

Some Fords had problems with the ignition module on the distributor crapping out too,so did the older ones that had the "brain box" on the fenderwell..I have however,replaced a few of those ,and pick up coils in the distributor,only to find the problem was not solved,when the vehicle stalled out again days later..it was the wiring harness,where they plug together ,the wires turn green inside and break contact,wont conduct electricity when they heat up after a few minutes from the high resistance--had to chop out a few inches of wire on either side of the plugs and solder them together..I found the bad wires by shaking them when the engine would run..knew it was a spark problem,because there was none after it stalled,then seemed to return after the wires or module cooled off again..

#10 ·
It has sat for over a year, but has been run several times, and was just run last month. It does start, but won't idle smooth, and you have to play with it to get throttle. It does have psi, but i have to put the guage on it because i don't know if its losing it. it has had a history of not wanting to run and either not starting, or starting and stopping. The timing is slightly advance so it runs hot and after a while, gets the starter to hot to start it til it cools off. It also has a skip from this, but it never caused any problems before. it also does not lose spark, because i checked that first.

#11 ·
Ah---> A chance to break out the OLD tools!! Do you have access to a vacuum tester? If so you can use it to determine if the problem is mechanical.. If it stays steady all is good in valve land.. An old trick I used to use is to get an old spark tester and hook it to a good ground and @ the cap I would ground out each cylinder's spark plug wire @ the cap and find out which one didn't change the engine's behavior.. (be careful not to let the spark get YOU & don't do this if there's gas fumage around the area!) That cyclinder/wire/plug is your problem.. :goodl:

#13 ·
Is this a full size Bronco or the Bronco II? Old gas is most likely the problem, that gas must smell pretty bad. Dump the gas, get some SeaFoam and fresh gas, I`d change the fuel filter too.

#14 ·
The gas smells fine, and the filter is getting changed. Where is the idle stabilizer?

#16 ·
Finally got some time for this truck, and the fuel pumps are not coming on, and i got a code from the scanner. The code is 081 for a "failed AM2". Does anybody know what the heck that means?

#17 ·
Anybody have a thought? Something i should check?

#19 ·
Yup, just found that on a ford forum. I think i found the issue with it today too while i was testing the frame mounted pump. The pickup hose had fallen off the exhaust pipe. Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.