My Tractor Forum banner

When is the best time to buy a tractor?

15K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  partlycloudy 
#1 ·
I've been begging a guy to bush hog my fields, and he's pushed me off again. I know what I want:

3032e
305 loader
MX5 rotary cutter

And am getting quotes from dealers in the area.

When is the best time to buy? Besides now.

My fields look like the jungle in Apocalypse Now. I'm just waiting to hear Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries and mortar fire the next time I go to get my mail.

#2 ·
I've been begging a guy to bush hog my fields, and he's pushed me off again. I know what I want:

3032e
305 loader
MX5 rotary cutter

And am getting quotes from dealers in the area.

When is the best time to buy? Besides now.

My fields look like the jungle in Apocalypse Now. I'm just waiting to hear Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries and mortar fire the next time I go to get my mail.
I'm not sure .. but off season would be best IMHO ..

Have you considered calling in a Napalm strike ? Then maybe some Surfing ?:sorry1:I could not resist

#6 ·
the best time is either during the winter or right befor they are redy to put out the new line of tractors the next season you will get better deals since they want to get rid of them

#7 ·
When the wife is out of town. It's lots easier to explain how it happened than to get permission to do it. :)

I think right now is a pretty good time, the dealer laid an ok price on my 3032E with loader a few weeks ago. I chose to pay 10% cash up front and took the 36 mo TRUE 0% interest deal for the remainder. I don't like financing anything, and certainly not longer than 24 or 36 months. Besides, 36 months was (a couple of weeks ago, at least) the only true zero cost financing plan available. If I wanted to go to 48 months I think it was 2.99% (or I could pay a $400 up front fee to get the "0%"), 60 months was 4.99% (or I could pay a larger up front fee to get the "0%") plan. All these "zero interest" plans from Kubota, JD, Mahindra, etc. seemed to me to be very similar. Just like auto makers, they WILL nail you for finance charges one way or another if you go past that magic 36 month payback window.

The 3032E with 305 loader is a sweet little tractor, you'll like it. The only thing I miss on mine is not having cruise control on the HST for mowing. Other than that, it's just about perfect for my needs. I do plan to add rear remotes some day, but that can wait.

#10 ·
Interest rates are awfully low right now, I don't see how they could go much lower, unless things with the economy start to turn around. So, striking now seems reasonable if you're financing IMHO. I was seriously considering purchase of a machine this year for the 0% deals, since I'm unsure if things will be this sweet next season. Good luck.

#13 ·
BEST TIME TO BUY - last 2 days of the month &/or between Xmas & the new year.

It all about dealer volume incentives and buying large ticket items, in slow business times with new models coming out.

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

#14 ·
I always did the last Friday or Saturday of the month a half hour before closing. I always ended up getting a better deal as the dealer is trying to clear inventory. I also think that you would do good on a holiday weekend Friday or Saturday as the sales staff want to go home to start the weekend...

#15 ·
Just remember the 3 price rule...

the price you pay for your tractor..

the price you tell your wife you paid for your tractor...

the price you pay... when she finds out the price you paid... :)

blizz

#16 ·
Just remember, on the 0% financing, make sure you pay each and every monthly payment on time without fail. Miss one payment, and they will add the finance charges retroactive for the entire loan. Also, I had the monthly payments come out of my checking account automatically, however, that very last payment must be made manually! I didn't know that and a fellow MTF member mentioned it to me and saved my hide.

My 2320 is Free and Clear for 2 months now!

#17 ·
NOW!!!

Joe

#18 ·
Wait until she's out of town for an extended period.. then there are TWO strategeries from there.

1.) tell her on the first day of her trip that you bought it, giving her a chance to cool down a week or two before returning home.. (Getting her 1st class tickets for the trip home helps a LOT!!)

2.) Tell her that you bought the tractor by phone or e-mail.. If she threatens to kill you when she gets home tell her "Only kidding dear. I would NEVER make a major purchase like that without consulting you first."

If she reacts with "What kind of tractor, I hope it was a John Deere" or.. "You're a great husband, the least you deserve is a new tractor!"

THEN go out the next day and buy it.

OR the third option..

Buy it, put a bow on it (like the Lexus commercials) and park in the driveway for her return home.. Tell her, Happy Birthday, Anniversay.. Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah.. whatever is the closest holiday on the calendar. (This tactic requires you checking your medical insurance and finding the limits for your long term disability coverage)

#19 ·
there is also the 48 hour rule...

you have to park it someplace she can see it (no fair hiding it)

if she doesn't ask about it for 2 days; hence the 48 hr rule, you can then reply: "oh that old thing?- I've had it a while..."

better check on alternative housing for you and the tractor just in case.
blizz

#20 ·
The wife thing is pretty easy. Just complain about your aching back at every possible opportunity and how much "X" you could accomplish if only you had a John Deere 2720 with the 200CX loader, 46 backhoe, 62D OnRamp MMM, 54 in front blade, 54 in snow blower, and, of course, a set of pallet forks! (shameless plug)

As for being sure you are getting the best deal, shop more than one dealer.

#21 ·
You guys are hilarious, I know I can afford a machine now, but I'm up against some wife veto power. She's all about supporting my tractor fantasies in 2-4 years, but not right now.

I did just get a boost with my salary next year $5K, so I may have to use the 48-hr or holiday tactic.

Hey dear, you won't have to buy me another Christmas or birthday present or the next 10 years, since I just bought it for you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.