My Tractor Forum banner

Battery replacement gx345

19K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  rubadub 
#1 ·
Looks like I need to replace the battery on my gx345. I pulled the caps off and the acid has a cloudy appearance. I've never seen anything like it before.

I'm thinking of going to the dealer to get an exact replacement. 500cca, 85 RC
I see some online that do not have the higher 500 CCA's like the original JD battery.
Where are you getting your replacement batteries and how much are they?

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
I would suggest that you get what you pay for........a cheap battery will have to be replaced again sooner, because it will fail faster. Get a good capacity, and cca from your dealership, because these batteries are made for rough service. Walfart stuff ain't and is one step away from the landfill, built only for profitability, not service and longevity.

You got a great unit there, and a battery that has lasted since 2004.

Did the battery give you grief, or perhaps was it frozen, when rundown!

#5 ·
Yes, the battery was giving me trouble.

On Sunday, I tried starting and was turning the starter very slow. I looked at the connections and they were corroded, so I cleaned them and put a charger on it. It started fine after that.

Yesterday, I went out to start it and got nothing. Checked the voltage and was 12.67 volts. Popped the caps off and the acid was very cloudy.

Then I found a crack in the top next to the positive post. I'll be calling around later today to try to find a good price, but want to get at least a 500cca battery.

#10 ·
I called several dealers in the area.

One has a group 45 battery for $121. Says that is the replacement even though I told them the original is a group 51.

Another dealer has a Strongbox battery for $131 plus tax. A little more than I want to spend but might need to.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Thank you for the code Jimbo! Now that looks like a good deal.

#12 ·
I imagine it's the same with batteries as it is with everything else ........ different stickers on the outside.

I now replace batteries whenever they "start" to present a problem.... and the Everlast brand at Walmarts are now in about five tractors and two of three vehicles.

#16 ·
Looks like I'll be getting the Advanced Auto battery. Good battery at a good price too.

#18 ·
I bought a battery last spring for my LT155 John Deere at Auto Zone. I checked the local ads and found a battery on sale for so much with so many cold cranking amps and Auto Zone said they would match it.

Turned out the Auto Zone had a few more cca's so they sold it to me anyway for the sale price of the other place.

Something to think about here. My late Father would buy a new Chevy pickup every once in a while and he would keep them what seems like forever. Like 15 years or more and they would have the original batteries in them.

The only thing that I could come up with is he babied those pickups, like avoiding potholes and going real easy over rough roads so the battery never got a pounding.

So if a guy could take a piece of rubber and put under the battery to cushion it a little that might extend the battery life, maybe.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.