My Tractor Forum banner

Waiting for B3030

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  APinNY 
#1 ·
This site has been very helpful in my decision to buy a Kubota. Waiting for delivery tomorrow!

I'm not sure if I made the right choice of tire. I bought the R4's and was wondering how much damage they do to a lawn. My needs are to finish mow 3 acres and cut wood (in the woods) this winter.

#2 ·
Silverking,
Welcome and congrats on the B3030. I bought a Grand L3540 this past April with R4s. I do finish mowing on probably the same acreage as you mention. I have not had any problems tearing up the turf. Of course a person could do some damage if it was real wet and do aggressive steering, and of course having it in 4 wheel drive.
I do other work with it as well and I like the R4s. I bet you will recieve all different opinions, and each one will have merit.
That's just my experiences.
Regards,
Jake

#3 ·
I've got R4's.

The four things NOT to do are:
1. Do much driving while grass is wet or overly damp from fresh moisture.
2. Watch your power steering. It's so easy to turn the wheel sharply and gouge up the turf. Easy does it.
3. Don't use 4 wheel drive at any time near a lawn. No. No.
4. Don't make turns with a FEL loaded on the front. The FEL alone weighs the front down.

You should enjoy the toughness of the R4. Much thicker and less prone to punctures than the turfs or Ags. They seem to have a heavier cap.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I had two dealers come out to look at a skidsteer as part of the deal. I had a pond dug with privacy mounds that are real close to a 3 to 1 slope x 10+ feet high . Both dealers thought the B3030 would handle these without tipping over. My RTV 900 with turf tires was a little scary when dragging rings for smoothing. One pass and my wife bailed saying, "your crazy"! Any thoughts or concerns?

#5 ·
Welcome aboard silverking. Congrats on the B3030, thats a great machine especially w/it's high power to low weight ratio. That makes it outstanding for working around nice finished lawns, etc.

You've got great info so I'll only add a few to them.
I much prefer turfs for my usage but R4's are a great compromise between turfs and ag's. They're easier on the turf than ag's and give more traction in soil than turfs. Take it easy in turns and you should be all right.
I personally like the B3030HSDC and one day I hope to be mowing my lawn in air conditioned splendor :D
re. mowing those banks, Kubota makes a spacer kit that kicks the rears out a few more inches. Those that have installed them say that they definitely improve stability, especially on hills. Those R4s are also alittle shorter than the turfs so that may also improve your stability.
Good luck, keep us posted and throw us a few pics when it arrives.
Dave

#6 ·
Your tractor should handle the 3:1's just fine, unless you have the FEL on. In that case, keep the bucket low and try to keep it an angle. Never parallel to the TOS. Congrats on the new toy.... tool purchase and ... :wwp: :wwp:

#9 ·
maybe I should explain, the delivery man (1st pic) looked like santa claus. He was the same guy that brought my skidsteer 10 years ago. It only has 440 hrs and was a real digging machine with the tracks and tooth bar. I know there will come a time that I wish I still had it! But, in that ten years of use, we had to reseed areas of our yard many times. Our needs have changed and hope the B3030 will handle most of our chores for years to come. I also would have loved the cab model but not very practical in the woods. Thanks for this informative site and Happy Holidays to all!

#10 ·
Nice looking machine, looks like you got "the goodies" along with it. That's the way to do it, as a package.
The cab is nice, but on your slope that you mentioned, I would have been slightly more leery and as you say in the woods, not very practical. Rnjoy many years with the B3030, and thanks for the pics. I guess Santa wears black away from Christmas Eve.
Happy Holidays right back at you!
Cheers,
Jake

#11 ·
Silverking - I was thinking that was you on the tractor when I first looked at the pic's - thought maybe your board name, silverking, might refer to the white beard somehow. Anyway, beautiful machine you just acquired. I'd say the 3030 would be my dream tractor should I ever be in a position to justify a bigger one. It should be much easier on your lawn than the tracked skid steer, even with the R4s. Good luck with it.

#14 · (Edited)
Those are great tractors, I have had a B7800 for almost 4 years and love it. I also romp in the woods as well. You will find it has no where near the lift capacity of the skidsteer. shame you couldn't keep both but I can understand. You have great advice all ready and R4s are perfect for what you are doing. Turfs will get torn up in the woods. Avoid the temptation to push over trees, cut them high and use the stump to push the root ball out. Skidsteers make bad tractor habits. Use caution on that grade, I do a steep grade for a neighbor with a brush hog when it gets away from him. It is fine with a lawn tractor but I wouldn't do it with my B. Were you belt, I have never gone over but I have certainly come. Dropping the loader on the ground is the only thing that has saved me.

#17 ·
I need your opinions........ I was thinking about a backhoe attachment, BH75. My dealer said he would give it to me at his cost, $6,120 and this includes a 24" bucket. I'm not sure how much I would use it but I do have some projects. Oh, that's installed. Thanks

#20 ·
quick update, I did buy the backhoe and have used it a lot! That hand shovel sure looked nice hanging on the barn wall! Planted 14, 4' to 6' pine trees, removed a few stumps, moved some large rocks with the thumb and buried my neighbor's horse(big hole). The B3030 has been a great tractor for all our needs.

I got a great deal on a Woods finish mower and was wondering how many of you have tried this:
I don't mow the front 2 acres as often as my lawn so, I set my MMM to the highest setting and set the 3pt Woods to the desired finish grass height and use both at the same time....... it works great! With just the MMM it would leave some uncut grass that the front wheels knocked down.

Thank you all for your input. It was all correct and that means a lot in not buying the wrong things.

#22 ·
I got a great deal on a Woods finish mower and was wondering how many of you have tried this:
I don't mow the front 2 acres as often as my lawn so, I set my MMM to the highest setting and set the 3pt Woods to the desired finish grass height and use both at the same time....... it works great! With just the MMM it would leave some uncut grass that the front wheels knocked down..
I'm glad you posted this comment. I just picked up a couple mowing jobs mowing fields for radio station towers, but they only get it mowed every 2-3 months. I considered doing the same.... now, thanks to your post, I'll give it a try next year!

Congrats on your backhoe. Someday I may also get one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.