My Tractor Forum banner

Ariens Grand Sierra 2200

34K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  coffeebuddy77 
#1 ·
Anybody have one of these? I looked at one today but don't know much about them. 22hp Kohler twin, Front and Rear PTO, 3PH, Deck and Snow Blade. 472 Hours and in generally good condition. Not spotless. $3200

What are the good points and bad? I called the dealer and parts are still available.

#2 ·
I have seen quite a few of these tractors, most that I have seen have had engine problems and sold in the $800 range. With the hours you are describing and not being spotless I would say it is a little high. Other than the engine issues I have not heard anything bad about them.
Dan

#3 ·
I called Ariens and it's a '98 sold new in '00 to a local guy. He had it serviced at the local Simplicity dealer and then traded it in on a new Simplicity. I agree that $3200 seems high. I thought $2200-$2500 seemed more reasonable.

The rear PTO runs at 3450 Rpm. I'm not sure what will even work on it. Also, it must be a cat 0 3PH.

#4 ·
I had a 2200 and loved the tractor but it ran so hot. You could not touch the hood whether mowing a half hour or 5 hours. It would actually put a blister on your hand/fingers. I loved it in the winter with the snow blower. It would shoot the snow 40 feet or more. It really turned a lot more RPM than my GT 20 does. I got rid of mine before the engine expired from the heat. The $3200 is way too much...I'd look somewhere around $1500 to $1800. Hope this helps....K-Dog

#8 ·
I had a 2200 and loved the tractor but it ran so hot. You could not touch the hood whether mowing a half hour or 5 hours. It would actually put a blister on your hand/fingers.
Just curious why the engine ran so hot - did it not have enough air flow around the hood? What model Kohler was it - Command or other?

#5 ·
I have a Grand Sierra and love the tractor. They seem to be very rare as far as seeing one out there or anyone selling one. The GT lines are every were it seems and you could find 3 a week on craigslist. As far as the GS line I have not seen one in 3 years for sale. I did see one out mid state listing for 1500 in real nice shape but was gone in a few weeks. It had under 500 hours on it and was a bargain that the dealer didn't know what there worth.
A dealer of Ariens told me they should go for around 3500 to 4000 just think what you would have to spend to get a tractor new like it probably closer to 7 or 8 grand. They went for 7000 in 2000 w/ out a deck. 3000 today gets you a department store tractor.

#13 ·
I bought this tractor, 60 inch deck & new blade for $2,000. It looks absolutely brand new when I got it. The owner gave me the receipts when I bought it and they had paid $10,753. and that didn't include the blade. I posted above about my other Grand Sierra that I had running so hot. It had a Briggs & Stratton engine in it. This one has a 22hp Kohler and runs much cooler but still warm. I only use this in the winter on the snow blower so the heat don't bother it. I have a GT20 I use on the mower deck & blade. I have seen others cheaper but not as nice as this one.

#7 ·
I have one I guess I got at a bargain for $300 with a nice front blade.Its about the Same as the GT Ariens but with no Park on the shifter and a whole lot of plastic instead of the metal and cast on the GT.Don't care for the engine either as its one of the new style ones with very little torque and has to be run around 3/4 throttle to have any power.Still an OK tractor with nice hydraulics and power steering

#9 ·
you say it has to be run at 3/4 throttle to have any power did it lose power when at wot???

#10 ·
Im hoping to keep this tractor and ad a John Deere 455 deisel some day! I have a 48 2 stage snowblower and the 22 horse Kohler throws snow 40 to 50 feet.
Ariens has made unbelievable snow machines. Im waiting on a snow cab and will post pics when it comes in Thursday. Im hoping for a big snow of a few feet to go and play before the year is over.

#11 ·
I have a 1988 GT20 that I purchased new in 88 for $7,000.00 with no implements, so I am not surprised that the Serria would cost $10,000 +.

Hey Grand Sierra, I am curious about the cab you ordered, does it have a hardtop and glass windshield?

#12 ·
The engine on the Grand Sierra apparently has a low torque cam and is like some of the smaller diesels that needs RPM to make power.My Yanmar 1300d
is similar has nice power at full throttle at less than half throttle it dies down quickly.With the Yanmar and Grand Sierra I just leave the throttle over 3/4 open and its does fine

#15 · (Edited)
Gt
[/IMG] 20 first of all nice Gt 20 you must have plenty of snow to play in up North!The cab I got is made for Ariens by "The Originol Tractor Company".It is not a hard top the dealer say's none are made for it. Curtis Cab Makes nice hard ones for Kubota and John Deere. It listed for 750 for just the cab from the OTCC w/ out the wipers,lights,mirrors, etc I think I'll add them later myself to save money. I paid 520 including tax @ Boston Lawn Mower in Westborough Ma.

#18 ·
Hi Guys, I looked at a Airens Grand Sierra 2200 today it has a cab and 2 stage snow blower approx 450 hrs No mower deck(I'm looking for a snow blower tractor have a couple of mowers) has wt, chains and hyd lift asking price is $2295.00 it was outside and raining so did not look it over real close but at first glance it looked good. What do you think having read the previous post it sounds like they are good snow blower units may have heating problems in the summer? Is the Kohler 22 hp engine a good engine and will it start in MN cold winter?
Thanks
GB in MN

#19 ·
No heating problems here I keep a clean air filter on it and have never had a problem even mowing in the lower 90's in the summer. I have a 22 horse Kohler command in it and use this tractor year around. I purchased a 425 cc battery for 35 dollars and leave it outside alway's give it a full choke and it will fire right up even below freezing.
Just think it you were the owner in 2000 you would have paid 7300.00 for tractor, 530.00 for cab, 1900.00 for snowblower, that's 9730.00 ...

#20 ·
Hi Grand Sierra, thanks for the information, I'm going to take a second closer look at it this week, will see what happens.
GB in MN

#25 ·
Hello, I have one for sale for $1850 if anyone is interested in Central PA. It has the 60" deck, cab with doors, and the 2 stage snowblower. I attached a picture. This lawn and garden tractor is a beast. Has power steering and is one of if not the fastest lawn and garden tractors I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few different makes and models over the years.

#26 ·
Welcome to MTF coffeebuddy77! Lots of info here and great members to help with issues, enjoy the site! We have a forum for sales so please post your machine in there:

#27 ·
Thanks for the info and the welcome! Just posed it in the right section now. Thanks again

Welcome to MTF coffeebuddy77! Lots of info here and great members to help with issues, enjoy the site! We have a forum for sales so please post your machine in there:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.