My Tractor Forum banner

Rid shed of red squirrels

15K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  CraftMan 
#1 ·
Was wondering if you guys have a sure fire method of keeping red squirrels out of your sheds. They have gotten into the shed the last three years and totaly desimated items I have had in there. I have cats running around the property (tame and wild) and they try to keep them at bay but they still return. A co worker of mine in the past said use pure pepermint oil in and around the shed. He said that pepermint oil is deadly to those of teh rodent family which red squirrels are. A small bottle of pure (not fake) pepermint oil is near $10.00. I was wondering what else if anything you guys use that would work. Thanks for any help.:thanku:

#2 ·
a gun or blow darts lol. i have issues with gray squirrels eating gas tank caps and gas can caps lol

#6 ·
Yep! Even if they don't get caught in the trap --- they usually are killed when it snaps.

I bought 6-8 to get rid of Richardson's Ground Squirrels. I'd set them "en masse" around where they were getting into the shop.

#5 ·
traps work, poison works, SNAKES work. the cats only work if they they stay in the shed.

mothballs work too, but it will take a large box liberally spread about inside and replinished every few months.

but the way i would do it is a pellet or shotgun and sit outside in wait. fried squirrel is delicious.

#7 ·
The BEST way is to patch the area they get in so they can't any more.

#10 ·
Nice idea but I patched at the entry and they chewed the wooden patch work thru in 1 hour. Have A Heart finally got them and they became part of the witness protection program. But you should move them 4 or 5 mile away.

#13 ·
I've tried several of these ideas except the C-4. Now that is interesting. They have eaten thru the T-111 siding and floor. These are not the regular squirrels. these are the little red ones. Mothballs worked for a while and later I would find them out side the shed? We Live in a rural area so I could shoot them with a pellet gun as i have in the past, but you have to wait so long for them to go out and sometimes this is at night. I just heard today amonia will also do the trick. I just have to find a way to make them drink it? These things ate hole in a travel trailer door we used to have. We finally got rid of theat family by locking our two cats at the time in there for a few days. Thanks for the ideas.

#14 ·
Funny you should ask! I have been battling with squirrels on my property for the last 6 months. They have chewed two holes in my Soffit and gotten inside. Today I bought a can of squirrel repellant granuals that I sprinkled in the Soffit vents, also bought deer, rabbit, and squirrel spray and sprayed it inside. To top it of I probably tossed 40+ mothballs in there all over. Im serious about getting them out if you can't tell. Got a guy coming with a bucket truck in the morning to seal up the holes with tin. I'm gonna leave one vent cover off for a few days so they can all file out after the holes are sealed.......... anyway, I haven't heard any activity since I put all that stuff up there, so I'm hoping it worked! P.S. Bought 100 pellets for the pellet gun too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.