My Tractor Forum banner

Jd 2030 Pto

16K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  BLUEPAINT 
#1 ·
Hi all have noticed a few members have this model. I have brought my dads 1975 JD 2030 back to life lately but have noticed that the PTO turns constantly i seem to remember when it was going years ago that when you attached an implement if the pto was not engaged with the lever. the weight of the attachement would stop the shaft turning.Now it turns all the time. Any body any ideas what could be wrong.

#4 ·
There were a couple of options on types of PTO. Do you have the lever that you pull up in between the gearshift levers? That is the independent pto. With that type, there is a brake band inside the transmission that stops the pto. It is applied using transmission oil pressure. Chances are that you have a broken band or a brooken oil line that sends pressure to activate it. Either pproblem requires splitting the tractor between the transmission and clutch housings. If you don't want to split tractor, there should be a disconnect lever by your left heel you can disegage to stop from turning.
Some of the 2030's had a two stage clutch, that requires pushing clutch all the way to the floor to disconnect the clutch and it used the same lever by your left heel to engage and disengage the gears. If this is the type you have, then either the clutch is stuck or out of adjustment.

#5 ·
Thanks, my tractor has not got a lever at my left heel. I think i am going to eventually split the tractor, have discovered a more worring problem there is a big crack in the head! I have stripped the head off and am leaving it with someone to weld it hopefully it works.

#11 ·
I have left it with a neighbour hes a mechanic he says he'll use special cast rods. I spoke to a breaker he has a head but hes looking £150! another breaker has a head off a 2140 he said it should fit hes looking £80. Will try the welded head and see how it works first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.