My Tractor Forum banner

Yesterdeay's 'fun'

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  WNYTractorTinkerer 
#1 ·
The DIL's van had a horrible sound sometimes when she turned and it bugged the heck outta her so I took a look at it last year because everyone she talked to had a different opinion on what it was.. It ranged from ball joints to C/V joints to the tranny to a bad wheel bearing or the apocalypse I swear!:Stop: :fing20:

She took me out for a ride an I listened to it and it definately sounded strut related so I nosed around a bit and found that these things are notorious for bad strut top bearings.. Upon closer inspection it was exactly what was wrong. Well, the thing just kept getting worse and the kids complained when she blasted the radio to drown out the sound so.... She got a couple bucks together (aka- tax time!) and got a new bearing so guess what- I got the job of replacing it! :fing20: :dunno:

So just a simple strut removal & R&R? Right?? Not such an easy task on a 2005 Chevy Uplander van! Seems that the strut tower is right below the windshield, behind the electrical distribution center / fusebox, windshield wiper frame & linkage.. :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3

Hey- I so love a challenge!!

Here's a picture of the top of the strut's lair:

Kinda hard for my fat hands to reach into!!

It took a while but I was able to get it out without removing the WW frame!!:trink40: Once that task was achieved I got the bottom out and off to the strut compressor and I replaced a very siezed top bearing and reassembled the thing and reinstalled it:

Now I can get back to my lawn mower rebuild!:trink39:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.