My Tractor Forum banner

Power broom, new style

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  CrazyVet 
#1 ·
Is anybody here looking for a new style swivel power broom? I'm going to look at one today and i don't really need it. Let me know if you do. It's in 21771, Mount Airy Maryland.

#2 ·
I get a call from a guy that said he has a power bush he wants to get rid of. OK. He told me it was in good shape. Yep, I hear that one all the time. He said everything was there to hook it up to a two wheeler. I've heard that one too....

So i ride over to look at it and the first thing I see is it's in his garage sitting cinder blocks, so no squished bristles. That's good! And on the top is a box with a quick hitch, the release rod and handle bar mount, the instruction book, and the little spacer that keeps it from rocking to far to the side. Wow! he was right! That's a first.

Turns out He got the broom from his dad, who happens to have around 12 Gravelys. He never used it and it's been in his way for years.

Of course, I had to bring it home. What do you think?

Attachments

#3 ·
That's a great find!! :thThumbsU

I've kind of wanted one, but it's one of those things I can't quite justify, as they tend to command quite a price, require a good bit of storage space, and the only thing I could use it for is cleaning my Dad's driveway. On the other hand, it would fit nicely on my quick hitch.

#5 ·
Good find Ron!

I've got 5 QH brushes like that myself and now 3 right angle brooms. For anyone with storage issues, they actually take up very little room and they are very easy to move around. If you still have problems finding a spot to store it, pick it up and let it rest on its side and keep it verticle.

#7 ·
They work awesome for snow Ed! Last season I didnt even bother taking out the snowblower. I had my MA211 mounted on one machine and the brush on the other. If the snow is light and fluffy and less than 5-6" the broom works just fine, otherwise I blow off the driveway/walkways then make a few finishing passes to bring it back to blacktop. The tough bristles work very well for tire tracks too!

#8 ·
I agree, they work great for light snow. I have fixed angle that has been used for snow removal for several years now.

I had a big broom before I built my shop and got rid of it mainly because it needed so much work. This one needs nothing. And I have the parts to mount it on a rider. I didn't think about storing it on it's side! That's a different ball game.....

#12 ·
Hello guys,
I am looking for a power broom set up for a G-series rider. I thinking of using it to clear snow off a long brick driveway. The brick driveway is still pretty tight, but I'm concerned that a snow blade might chip the brick or catch one and flip it out.

My other concern is running tire chains for traction in the snow. I'm thinking the chains could be hard on the brick driveway just as a snow blade. I've heard of guys installing mud traction tires for use on a Quad and that they work well in the snow. Does anyone have experience with this?

Also, who much traction does a power broom (PB) require to operate? If I'm not pushing snow, and just sweeping it forward, would I need to get front or rear wheel weights to help control the tractor? I've never operated a power broom before, so I don't know what to expect.

I have seen a few PB's for sale, but they have all been for or attached to walk-behind tractors with the Quick-Hitch. I have a front PTO and lift kit for my tractor for my 44 inch snow blower, and I also have a front adapter for using the 4 bolt attachments. If I get a PB from a walk-behind, is it advisable to run it off 4 bolt attachment adapter with a QH spike; or should I keep looking for the rider adapter bracket? Should I consider the older angle broom? Are replacement brushes available for either?

Would my snow blower short connecting drive shaft work or does the PB use one of those double universal joints that seem to cost a fortune when you can find one?

I'm looking to buy with ca$h or trade. I have several tractors and different attachments and spare parts to barter with.

Thanks for any advice,
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.