My Tractor Forum banner

PVC pipe for diesel fuel tank?

36K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Upper5Percent 
#1 ·
Yesterday we bought two 300-gallon plastic-in-metal-frame tanks that originally held glycol aircraft de-icing fluid. We plan to use these to store diesel fuel for our BX-2360 and a diesel generator.

The tanks have low side outlets with PVC ball valves and 2" pipe-thread fittings. I would like to plumb these two tanks together with 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings, terminating in a tee and reducer to 1/2" pipe nipple. A vinyl tube will be clamped on the 1/2" nipple, and the other end of the tube will have a similar 1/2" nipple, a ball valve, and a short nipple, to serve as a filler spout for a gravity-feed system.

Are there any problems with using PVC for diesel fuel? A Google search turned up everything from "no problem" to "only a fool would do this."

Thanks for any definitive information.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
err on the side of caution of "only a fool would do this." : ) I have no other advice on this subject....sorry

#4 ·
I have the exact same container, I am going to use it as sprayer for fertilizer. Why don't you take the PVC in question and put it in a small container of diesel fuel for a month or so to see if it has any adverse effects. Also, I would use sch 80, because it is thicker.

WB

#5 ·
Just a question? I used to use the semi-clear white ones for water in my garden and trees and such and used to get green algae growing on the inside. I was told to use a solid colored one to eliminate the algae.
I have noticed even some on here who have made their own rain water collection systems use a solid color. Just a thought.

#6 ·
Diesel stores well compared to gasoline, but it would take a LOOOONG time to get through 600 gallons with the BX. Hopefully you are using the generator a lot, too?

One suggestion is to avoid tying the two tanks together. That way if you develop contamination in one tank, you may still have good fuel in the other.

Also, it's usually a good idea to have the pick-up line a few inches above the bottom of the tank, to help avoid draining contaminants that usually accumulate at the bottom of the tank over time. These look like they drain at the very bottom of the tanks. So it might also be smart, to install some kind of pre-filter/separator in the filling line so that you don't have to rely on the tractor or generator filtering system.

#7 ·
I work with oil tanks a lot, and I wouldn't use vinyl tubing as a equalizer. Either hard piped with swing joints, or 1/2" soft copper line along with ball valves and flare fittings with a little extra line to allow for any settling. I also would top feed the supply line with a dip tube about 2" off bottom from one tank, as the equalizer will let the tanks both be at the same level. Also try to keep the tanks out of the sun as it will cause sludge due to *condensation, so a treatment program is really a good idea too.
* Many tanks are available today that are plastic, but they are covered to protect them from the elements.

#8 ·
600 Gallons is alot of fuel for that BX and a generator. I only go thru about 100 gallons a year with my B. And thats using it alot. Also there is a problem with those tanks. If you are going to store outside, they could gel up (unless you put additive in them) plus it will grow algea inside of them. As for plumbing onto them, standard pipe thread connections will work on them, but I know alot came thru with quick disconnect fittings as well. But like mentioned before, you have to worry about the sludge build up on the bottom. I use a 30 gal drum for my fuel and I use a standard drum pump to get it out. After about 5 years, the bottom is black (its a white/clear drum) Next time before I fill it up, I am going to agitate the drum with a little fuel in it and try to get out what I can.

#9 · (Edited)
Yesterday we bought two 300-gallon plastic-in-metal-frame tanks that originally held glycol aircraft de-icing fluid. We plan to use these to store diesel fuel for our BX-2360 and a diesel generator.

The tanks have low side outlets with PVC ball valves and 2" pipe-thread fittings. I would like to plumb these two tanks together with 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings, terminating in a tee and reducer to 1/2" pipe nipple. A vinyl tube will be clamped on the 1/2" nipple, and the other end of the tube will have a similar 1/2" nipple, a ball valve, and a short nipple, to serve as a filler spout for a gravity-feed system.

Are there any problems with using PVC for diesel fuel? A Google search turned up everything from "no problem" to "only a fool would do this."

Thanks for any definitive information.
If this is an OLDER diesel set generator...you may want to read this...
http://www.stowerscat.com/pdf.asp?id=130

Long Term Storage Considerations
•Generally diesel fuel is consumed 90-120 days after refining.
•Generally accepted shelf life of diesel fuel ≤ 12 months.
Fuel stored >12months after receipt by the end user is classified as long term storage fuel by ASTM D975 and increases probability of quality failure.
•Although ULSD is a more stable fuel, long term stored fuel must be monitored.

#11 ·
In fact, one of the factors for setting up the fuel storage is emergency preparedness. A solar power system is another factor, as is a manual deep-well water pump.

We want the diesel generator available to supply power when the grid is down and the solar system can't meet the power demand.

We've decided to keep only one tank, so we'll be storing a maximum of 250-300 gallons.

I called the local fuel distributor, and he doesn't see any problem filling a plastic tank with PVC fittings. He'll check further and call me back.

Question: Can/should I store just 100-150 gallons of fuel for normal tractor/generator use, and add more only if it looks like society is about to collapse? I know about adding anti-microbe solution.

We'd like to have some backup fuel. No sense in having the tractor and generator if there won't be any fuel for 'em after a couple of months.

Question: The Yanmar diesel generator is new, so there shouldn't be any problem with low-sulfur fuel. However, the oil distributor mentioned high-sulfur fuel. Which should I get?

Thanks again for the insights.

#12 ·
Paint your tank black to slow down the growth of mold. Try and put the tank on the north side of a building or make a "shelter" for it to keep direct sun light off it. try to use the fuel often. If you have a diesel pick up use the fuel in the truck once in a while to "rotate" the fuel supply..

#16 ·
Just another thought. I would check with your Homeowners Ins. co. I once had a 275 gallon tank sort of hidden on the side of my house painted and covered. The ins. co. did a stop by once and seen the tank and out of nowhere cancelled me with no warning and this was a UL approved tank. To get another co. was a major headache because I did have a 500 gal. underground tank and no one would ins. us.
Also if you run your generator once a week for 30-45 minutes for exercise plus the tractor you'll go thru enough to get a decent load a few times per year so stagnation shouldn't be to bad.
Good luck :trink39:

#21 ·
As you are aware of EMP will wipe out all electronics not adequately secured. So all your preperation should take that into account.
There's no way to tell what an EMP will damage. There are ways to shield equipment, but devices connected to the grid definitely are at risk. Hence the hand pump, wood stove, tractor, and sgenerator.

In the case of an EMP, it's a crap shoot.

#20 ·
Hey Mike, if you knew when society was going to collapse then waiting till the last minute is a good idea, but that timing is purely a guess. Preparedness is being able to take care of your family or community without drawing attention to yourself. Running a generator and tractor may get others' attention.

#22 ·
[...] Preparedness is being able to take care of your family or community without drawing attention to yourself. Running a generator and tractor may get others' attention.

Agreed, but where we live, there are plenty of folks with tractors and other machinery.

It's a chance we have to take. As a last resort, we may have to depend on Second Amendment equipment. I sure hope it never comes to that.

I'd like to draw this thread to a close, because it's wandered way off-topic. The bottom line is that we plan to install a 250-gallon tank of diesel fuel that the local supplier says he will fill.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.