My Tractor Forum banner

Ariens Gt tiller attachment

32K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  gburnett 
#1 ·
I know I'm asking alot here but can anyone tell from the pics if this tiller will fit my 1988 GT20? Also what is required to attach this to my tractor? I emailed the seller and am waiting on a response.
From what I've read his asking price seems quite reasonable.
thks in advance
Marc
Only pic I have right now of my GT20

Pics of tiller
all he says in the ad is this "28" Rear mount rototiller. Fits a 1980 Ariens garden tractor. PTO drive"

See less See more
#2 ·
you have an ariens model # 831006 should be a 34". You should go to ariens.com & get the owners manual , they are free to download, just enter the model #, something for a serial #(1234) & click on view - then you can save it to your computer - I would also suggest you get the service manual for your tractor, it covers attachments too

it looks like you need the sheave pulley for the pto & belts

#3 ·
& it will fit, the attachments from the s, gt, & grand sierra line interchange, that's an older tiller, because it has it's own clutch on it to turn it on & off because the older tractors like my s14h have a live pto with no way to shut it off, unlike my gt 20 which has the electric rear clutch (like yours does)

#4 ·
Yes mine is a model 931 and I have the original manuals for it. Manual lists a 42" tiller but this one shows as being a 28". You are correct I have the electric rear clutch that I can turn off / on. You say I need a sleeve hitch to attach that to the tractor? I cannot tell exactly how it mounts and am having a hard time finding much info / pics.

#6 ·
So is there any reason why the 28" would not work? I have been looking for nearly a year for one of these locally and this is the only time I've found one. Not to sure Ariens sold many of the big GTs on the east coast of Canada.

#8 ·
this particular tiller does not need the 3 point arms & I never mentioned a sleeve hitch at all - get the owners manual for the 831006 from ariens and everything will be explained in less than 5 minutes & ariens does not list a 28" tiller for the gt (ad is probly wrong) - they have the 48 & 42" which are three point & this one which mounts on the back of the tractor without the three point arms
I don't know if this link will work or not

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/31792D.pdf

#10 ·
lol my apologies you said sheave pulley not sleave hitch! I just re-read it/ I have that pulley on my tractor now. FWIW the seller is asking $400.
some awesome info in that link, thks a bunch for pointing me in the right direction. I am waiting to hear back from seller but will keep all updated.

#11 ·
you have a pulley on your rear pto? Ariens is very good with the free info, they have owners, service, & parts manuals all for free download, it takes a minute to figure out how to get to the link I posted, but once you figure it out, it's easy - it took me less than 5 minutes to figure out what you had pictured, get a model #, & find the manual

#12 ·
yes I have the pulley on my pto. I'll have to go take a look and see what exactly it looks like. I had started searching my manual and then had started into the ariens site too. Figured I'd post up here and someone may have some quicker info for me...and you came through!
wife has been after me to put in a garden and I have been looking for a tiller so I hope this one works out.

#13 ·
Was able to talk to the seller today. He has the original manual for it so is looking for it to confirm for me what it is. From what you guys have said above I'm fairly certain what it is though. Does anyone have an idea of what this is worth $$$$$?
It is about a 2.5 hour roundtrip away. So I need to add 60-70 in fuel and $43 ish in bridge tolls to get it. Time is rather irrelavant to me as I'm off work right now.

#14 ·
I found one in misouri, broken, needing parts, & rusty for $100, & one in california good for $500, so I would say you shouldn't feel bad around $450 (total with expenses) or less, it's not a steal, bur a fair price - it's more "what's it worth to you" than anything

#16 ·
Looks like i'm going to be around 350 expenses included. Seeing as California is more than a bit of a drive for me I"ll likely buy this one.

#17 ·
That tiller is a spitting image of a JD 33 tiller. Even looking at the parts break down of them they are really similar.

#18 ·
lol maybe there was some secret meetings between the 2 companies and they shared designs :dunno:
Seller sent me more pics but they are sketchy looking. Just need to deciede of it's worth the trip or not. Fuel is not so cheap and the F150 is no smart car when it comes to fuel efficiency.

#19 ·
So I broke down and made the trip this am. Was exactly as the seller portrayed it to be. Also picked up a homemade plow / dozer blade in the deal. Got the plow on and used it to grade the service road next door just to try it out. I can't unload the tiller yet as it's in the back of the truck and I have 1 broken wrist. Have to wait for neighbour to get home tomorrow and use his front end loader maybe. pics of it in operation once it's up and running.

#20 ·
I know it was a year ago since the last post, but I was wondering, greenenvy1, if the tiller fit on your GT series? And if so I would be interested to see it mounted on your tractor.

I have a GT 20 that I purchased new in 1988, and I also have the 42" tiller and it looks nothing like the image you had shown. Aside from the vac system all my attachments connect to the GT with a drive shaft assembly.

#21 ·
Fits and works like a charm. There are some pics on here somewhere of me using it. I'll check and see if I have anything on photobucket.....yup. here you go.

and if this works it's a video of it in operation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.