My Tractor Forum banner

JD 500 Series Halogen Headlight Upgrade

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  USNR 
#1 ·
I was thinking about upgraded my standard headlights with halogen; has anyone done this upgrade? Spoke to my neighbor that works at local JD dealership and he shared with me that he has seen damage to the headlight housing due to the halogen getting to hot?

It's only $51.00 upgrade if they are safe I would sure love the extra light...:00000033::00000033:

Here is a link to the upgrade...

http://www.shopgreendealer.com/halogenheadlightkit.aspx

#2 ·
USNR, howdy! :howdy:

Be careful, you don't want to melt your headlight housing with too much heat (using the wrong upgrade part).

Others have achieved good results by upgrading only the bulb (push and twist to install) in the housing and for minimal cost. I bought halogen bulbs for a previous X300 for around $14 and used them for snowblowing during the winter - when it was colder and therefore with little risk of melting anything.

The same bulbs I bought will fit the X500. Search for the thread on the forum, or wait for someone else to provide the part number.

#6 ·
Re: SOURCE: P796 halogen bulb, 1156-type

I haven't noticed any heat problem, but I only use the headlights very sparingly during the non-winter, snow-removal months. I.E., with rare exception, I only use them for an hour or so when I am blowing snow during the winter, so I can't answer your question directly...

I think my use reflects what most have done, so no one has summer-time experience with running the lights for hours at a time to comment upon.

Have you any trouble with heat when using the bulb for a prolonged period of time? :dunno:

#7 ·
Re: SOURCE: P796 halogen bulb, 1156-type

I haven't noticed any heat problem, but I only use the headlights very sparingly during the non-winter, snow-removal months. I.E., with rare exception, I only use them for an hour or so when I am blowing snow during the winter, so I can't answer your question directly...

I think my use reflects what most have done, so no one has summer-time experience with running the lights for hours at a time to comment upon.
Thanks... :thThumbsU

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.